Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know they will play one of the games we lost by under a goal.:anguished:
I’m holding out hope that we get lucky.

If it is one of those games however I think I’ll be turning it off...

Well there's not many wins to choose from. We lost by 8 points when I saw us at that Olympic park monstrosity.
Goodes' miss post siren

They'll replay that 2018 Rohan mark one.
It was actually 2017 believe it or not.

Don’t turn it on, that’s exactly what they are replaying.

Ah right. It was 2017. And yeah we could all see it from a mile away. I mean, that's likely what we would have gotten tonight anyway.
Actually, Fox Footy are playing a different game. AFL app has the 2017 game, Fox has gone back to the 90s.

We still lose by a point...

Was that that one? I had the feeling the ball was in play when the siren went but we had it and the momentum and might have won if the game went for another minute or two? Maybe it was all a dream. :think:

Sounds like you’re thinking of the Dempsey play on game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the season had progressed as planned with 16 rounds, we'd be about half-way through. I feel like the time has flown but now footy's around the corner again I thought it might be worth reviewing the things that worked out and the things that didn't when last we played in late March. As well, what is everyone hoping to see for R2?

Against Freo we had;
* An underdone Bellchambers selected over Phillips, whom many thought would be selected.
* Shiel collected 35, had 9 clearances and went at 77%
* Parish was excellent in the first half and barely got a touch in the second
* Hurley was beaten by a debutant. Can't remember if he copped a suspension
* We had no talls up forward; bombing high and long to Laverde, Townsend and Stringer - Towner kicked 3(?)
* Hooker was out injured; Zerk played well
* Cutler made his Bomber debut but was quiet
* We were McKennaless

Moving forward to R2;
* I'm hoping for McKernan and Stewart, and maybe even Hooker in the forwardline.
* More Zerk
* Zaharakis out, Ham in
* 4 quarters

Edit: 18 days to go!

Last edited:
Its a weird feeling because I've been actively trying to ignore footy the last couple of months because it sucked when the season was on indefinite hold after just 1 week.

My recollection of the last game
Shiel was absolutely brilliant - hopefully he can have more games like that.
McGrath really looked like he was taking his game to a new level and was a lot more damaging with his possessions.
Smith returned and it was like he never left. Set the tone early.
I found Parish pretty underwhelming after a promising preseason, hopefully just a blip on the radar.
Langford played a very good game, hopefully turning a corner.
Laverde continues to pretend to be an AFL player up in our forward line - the sooner we move on from him the better.
Townsend was great with his some really smart plays and aggressive tackling
Fantasia still looked underdone and hopefully with a few more months of running behind him will at least be in better physical condition.
Bellchambers playing was just plain weird since he was so underdone and Phillips was fully fit and in-form.
Cutler debuted and was really good (much better than in the preseason) - have to disagree with OP there.
Zaharakis - continues to play some awful role in the backline as a distributor which is just the worst idea ever. He doesn't have the pace or disposal he once had and is non-competitive overhead. On the other hand he's always had good instincts forward of centre and I reckon over the course of a game he'd present up on a lead a lot more than Fantasia/Tippa. If he's not on the wing - he should be a half forward flanker where he started his career.
Ridley filled in a role in the backline in McKenna's absence and hit target after target with laser like kicking. I hope we find a spot for this bloke in our team going forward. Was defensively solid too.

Hopes for the next game:
The no key forwards sucked and I'm hoping for a McKernan/Hooker combination up forward in round 2 supported by Stringer, Fantasia, Tippa and Townsend.
I'm hoping we see Ham selected for every game given the extended bench. The sooner we develop him the better and frankly I'd rather him than a number of our players.
It looks like McKenna will miss round 2 but should be back fairly soon thereafter once he's got some training under him.
I hope we see Gleeson back in the team. I think he and Ridley can play together - they can both play on a range of opponents and Gleeson is good for intercept marking.
BZT was good in round 1 and I hope we still find a spot for him. We desperately need a tall defender option for the bigger blokes. If we are pairing with Hurley and Francis then I think we need to develop him asap. If Ambrose comes back for round 2 the choice should be between him and Francis - if a choice needs to be made. I would definitely play Hooker forward. On his last legs as a defender anyway but can still out-wrestle most and that'll be great for our forward line.
Sounds like Heppell is still line ball which is disappointing considering how much time has passed. Hope we see him back in the team.

Overall I think we are going to have a much better structure and team out on the park than in round 1. That said Dockers were similarly decimated so it was a hard game to take much from either way.

Townsend forward will be great for Walla, Smith and Fantasia. The way he contests the ball and pressures inside fifty should mean opportunities for the loose ball to be scooped up.

I'd like to see Hooker forward to allow Zerk to play and Ambrose to come in, so I see Hooker as part of a rotation through the forwardline. That could bring our three tall forwards back if Stewart plays.

Ridley in would be great. I originally said Ham in, but tbh I would be overjoyed if Redman were on a wing and Zaharakis out. I'd forgotten about RedDog.

Its a weird feeling because I've been actively trying to ignore footy the last couple of months because it sucked when the season was on indefinite hold after just 1 week.

My recollection of the last game
Shiel was absolutely brilliant - hopefully he can have more games like that.
McGrath really looked like he was taking his game to a new level and was a lot more damaging with his possessions.
Smith returned and it was like he never left. Set the tone early.
I found Parish pretty underwhelming after a promising preseason, hopefully just a blip on the radar.
Langford played a very good game, hopefully turning a corner.
Laverde continues to pretend to be an AFL player up in our forward line - the sooner we move on from him the better.
Townsend was great with his some really smart plays and aggressive tackling
Fantasia still looked underdone and hopefully with a few more months of running behind him will at least be in better physical condition.
Bellchambers playing was just plain weird since he was so underdone and Phillips was fully fit and in-form.
Cutler debuted and was really good (much better than in the preseason) - have to disagree with OP there.
Zaharakis - continues to play some awful role in the backline as a distributor which is just the worst idea ever. He doesn't have the pace or disposal he once had and is non-competitive overhead. On the other hand he's always had good instincts forward of centre and I reckon over the course of a game he'd present up on a lead a lot more than Fantasia/Tippa. If he's not on the wing - he should be a half forward flanker where he started his career.
Ridley filled in a role in the backline in McKenna's absence and hit target after target with laser like kicking. I hope we find a spot for this bloke in our team going forward. Was defensively solid too.

Hopes for the next game:
The no key forwards sucked and I'm hoping for a McKernan/Hooker combination up forward in round 2 supported by Stringer, Fantasia, Tippa and Townsend.
I'm hoping we see Ham selected for every game given the extended bench. The sooner we develop him the better and frankly I'd rather him than a number of our players.
It looks like McKenna will miss round 2 but should be back fairly soon thereafter once he's got some training under him.
I hope we see Gleeson back in the team. I think he and Ridley can play together - they can both play on a range of opponents and Gleeson is good for intercept marking.
BZT was good in round 1 and I hope we still find a spot for him. We desperately need a tall defender option for the bigger blokes. If we are pairing with Hurley and Francis then I think we need to develop him asap. If Ambrose comes back for round 2 the choice should be between him and Francis - if a choice needs to be made. I would definitely play Hooker forward. On his last legs as a defender anyway but can still out-wrestle most and that'll be great for our forward line.
Sounds like Heppell is still line ball which is disappointing considering how much time has passed. Hope we see him back in the team.

Overall I think we are going to have a much better structure and team out on the park than in round 1. That said Dockers were similarly decimated so it was a hard game to take much from either way.
Has it been confirmed there will be an extended bench?

I’m toey as faaarrkkk for footy to start and with it some restrictions lifted and a bit of normality back in our lives....
As others have mentioned Hooker is likely to play forward given Daniher still out indefinitely, I think Ridley should play and hopefully Cutler gets a run as well.

Team;-

Ambrose Hurley Francis
Redman Ridley Saad
Merrett Shiel Parish
Langford Stringer Fanta
Townsend Hooker Tippa

Bellcho McGrath Smith

Bench: Cutler Guelfi Zakka McKernan

Heppell and McKenna won’t be far away, and couldn’t fit the likes of Laverde, Gleeson, Zerk, Snelling or Stewart in all of whom will feature at some stage this year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So no change to our round 2 fixture, don't mind it. Need to bank the win though. More toey about the local stuff though haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back