Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 7+

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness so does the club according to the website....

"Courageous defender who was among the league’s best one-on-one backmen in 2019. Often tasked with taking on the opponent’s leading forward, the athletic Bomber has also shown good versatility in stints in the midfield and forward line."

It's one of the odd problems we have with the list - 3 first choice defenders around 6"4 all with a deficiency in one of; disposal, marking or endurance -and still nobody to take the big KPP's (Zerk is the 4th and probably most rounded but may develop playing scratch matches). Add to that a glut of flankers as well.
It's the sort of list you'd compile if there were no limits on how many players you could have at the club.

This is one of the best summations of our list at present I've heard for a while.
What we really have is a glut of key position defenders, multiple classy half back flankers & half forward flankers/small forwards - we have these areas well covered.
But what we dont have is a star mid, top shelf key forward or gun ruck. The sooner we can balance out the list and develop or bring in a star mid, top shelf key forward or gun ruck the sooner we'll start pushing for top 4...

This is one of the best summations of our list at present I've heard for a while.
What we really have is a glut of key position defenders, multiple classy half back flankers & half forward flankers/small forwards - we have these areas well covered.
But what we dont have is a star mid, top shelf key forward or gun ruck. The sooner we can balance out the list and develop or bring in a star mid, top shelf key forward or gun ruck the sooner we'll start pushing for top 4...

The glut of key defenders isn't so bad. Hurley, Hooker and Ambrose are all at the age where we need to be succession planning. Hooker is the most convenient because he can legitimately play forward and not just as a sympathy for the old guy type role but as a real contributor. We will soon be depending on Francis, BZT and new guys emerging to take over our KPD spots (can recruit externally as well).

I definitely agree with the rest. I must admit I'd absolutely love a gun ruck - it would be a game changer for us. Draper's injury was so cruel last year. Now I don't know if he's going to reach that level and an ACL certainly doesn't help but that was probably the most brutal injury we could get from a list perspective (besides Daniher's existing one).

The glut of key defenders isn't so bad. Hurley, Hooker and Ambrose are all at the age where we need to be succession planning. Hooker is the most convenient because he can legitimately play forward and not just as a sympathy for the old guy type role but as a real contributor. We will soon be depending on Francis, BZT and new guys emerging to take over our KPD spots (can recruit externally as well).

I definitely agree with the rest. I must admit I'd absolutely love a gun ruck - it would be a game changer for us. Draper's injury was so cruel last year. Now I don't know if he's going to reach that level and an ACL certainly doesn't help but that was probably the most brutal injury we could get from a list perspective (besides Daniher's existing one).
You don't need a gun ruck to win a flag. Hell, you don't even need one in the top 5 if recent history has shown anything.

Draper signed for 4 years while injured (I think) and not having played AFL level suggests they're confident we have our gun ruckman.

Taking into account injuries...

Ridley Hurley Francis
Gleeson Ambrose Saad
Langford Heppell Merrett
Stringer McKernan Smith
Tipungwuti Hooker Townsend
Bellchambers McGrath Shiel
Zaharakis Parish Cutler McKenna

Thoughts on some matchups:
Midfield:
Stringer vs Kennedy - This is a bit contraversial but when i was thinking about who we had to play on Kennedy it actually makes a lot of sense. Kennedy's slow and aging but he's an inside bull and he's bigger than our midfielders. We are also playing on the small SCG with shortened quarters. I would like to see us use Stringer mostly as a mid just for this game. He'll be able to wrestle with Kennedy not to mention he'll be a major threat offensively with his burst speed and long kicking on the small ground.
Heppell vs Parker - I'd be telling Heppell to play an accountable role on Parker and hope that they both end up with low 20 possessions with minimal impact. The logic is mostly that Swans midfield doesn't bat that deep so targeting their 2 best playmakers will allow our other midfield options like Shiel, Merrett and Smith to really do some damage.
Saad (back 50)/McGrath (everywhere else) vs Papley - With no McKenna and potentially no Redman I wouldn't trust anyone besides Saad in our back 50 to mind Papley. If he plays more as a midfielder then McGrath or Smith seem like good options.

Forward (if we lose the game I reckon it will be mostly because our forward 50 efficiency lets us down):
Aliir Aliir vs McKernan - Honestly Aliir Aliir is way better than McKernan. I don't expect McKernan to beat him. However we desperately need him to work hard and make himself somewhat dangerous so that Aliir Aliir is not intercepting all our forward 50 forays. I see it as one of the major keys to the game.
McCartin/Melican vs Hooker - This is potentially a matchup where we may have an edge due to Hooker's contested marking ability and experience. That said it won't be easy if Rampe and Aliir Aliir are intercepting everything.
Rampe vs Stewart/Townsend - Again this matchup is strongly Sydney favoured. Rampe has made a career out of playing on blokes bigger than him and beating them. Similar to McKernan's matchup I would be hoping our forward can make themselves dangerous and reduce his intercept marking work. Drawing him up the ground with lots of leading will be a key here.

Backline:
Heeney/Blakey/McCartin vs Francis/Hurley/BZT or Ambrose - Not much to say here. It'll depend a lot on the quality of supply coming in. Neither set of names is terrifying or awful. Both can be good on their respective days. I've always liked Hurley as a good option for those tall midfield types so I like him for the Heeney role. Heeney could play through the midfield but we've got any number of experienced mids to throw at him there.
We may struggle more to contain all their smaller forwards especially if both McKenna and Redman are out. At that point it falls to Saad, Ridley and Gleeson. Ridley and Gleeson would normally play on more mid sized guys which could be an issue for us and you can expect that Saad will get a lot of attention to prevent his offensive plays without his partner in crime.

Overall: We have an edge in the midfield and if we fail to capitalise on that we could easily lose. I rate Sydney's defense, especially their taller defenders. If we want to get our smaller forwards in positions to kick goals we need to mostly control the midfield battle.

That'll switch around in coming seasons.
Will it? Based on what?
Yep...Grundy was only 2 minutes off being a premiership ruckman. He would have to be top 5 players in the league at the moment, he rucks and is another midfielder. How he didn’t go higher in the draft is mind boggling.
The best player in the league was drafted later than him. I would say Fyfe, Danger, Martin, J Cameron and Cripps are currently better than him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Begley actually injured or just hidden behind the immense shadow of Townsend for the forward flankers position (with Laverde)?

Swans won’t have too many tall forwards and given McKenna and Redman look unlikely Id say Ridley and Gleeson will be playing across our half back line.

Our depth of tall backman (and lack of contested marking tall forwards) means Hooker should play forward and Ive got a gut feeling James Stewart will be a bit of a surprise inclusion after not playing for 2 years.
Stringer as a mid excites me and we’ll need him in there to match up on the bigger bodied Swans in Kennedy and Parker.

So 1 week out I think our team looks like;-

Hurley Ambrose Francis
Gleeson Ridley Saad
Merrett Stringer McGrath
Townsend McKernan Smith
Laverde Hooker Tippa

Bellcho Heppell Shiel

Bench: Langford Zakka Parish Stewart

Go the mighty Bombers!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Thoughts on some matchups:
Midfield:
Stringer vs Kennedy - This is a bit contraversial but when i was thinking about who we had to play on Kennedy it actually makes a lot of sense. Kennedy's slow and aging but he's an inside bull and he's bigger than our midfielders. We are also playing on the small SCG with shortened quarters. I would like to see us use Stringer mostly as a mid just for this game. He'll be able to wrestle with Kennedy not to mention he'll be a major threat offensively with his burst speed and long kicking on the small ground.
Heppell vs Parker - I'd be telling Heppell to play an accountable role on Parker and hope that they both end up with low 20 possessions with minimal impact. The logic is mostly that Swans midfield doesn't bat that deep so targeting their 2 best playmakers will allow our other midfield options like Shiel, Merrett and Smith to really do some damage.
Saad (back 50)/McGrath (everywhere else) vs Papley - With no McKenna and potentially no Redman I wouldn't trust anyone besides Saad in our back 50 to mind Papley. If he plays more as a midfielder then McGrath or Smith seem like good options.

Forward (if we lose the game I reckon it will be mostly because our forward 50 efficiency lets us down):
Aliir Aliir vs McKernan - Honestly Aliir Aliir is way better than McKernan. I don't expect McKernan to beat him. However we desperately need him to work hard and make himself somewhat dangerous so that Aliir Aliir is not intercepting all our forward 50 forays. I see it as one of the major keys to the game.
McCartin/Melican vs Hooker - This is potentially a matchup where we may have an edge due to Hooker's contested marking ability and experience. That said it won't be easy if Rampe and Aliir Aliir are intercepting everything.
Rampe vs Stewart/Townsend - Again this matchup is strongly Sydney favoured. Rampe has made a career out of playing on blokes bigger than him and beating them. Similar to McKernan's matchup I would be hoping our forward can make themselves dangerous and reduce his intercept marking work. Drawing him up the ground with lots of leading will be a key here.

Backline:
Heeney/Blakey/McCartin vs Francis/Hurley/BZT or Ambrose - Not much to say here. It'll depend a lot on the quality of supply coming in. Neither set of names is terrifying or awful. Both can be good on their respective days. I've always liked Hurley as a good option for those tall midfield types so I like him for the Heeney role. Heeney could play through the midfield but we've got any number of experienced mids to throw at him there.
We may struggle more to contain all their smaller forwards especially if both McKenna and Redman are out. At that point it falls to Saad, Ridley and Gleeson. Ridley and Gleeson would normally play on more mid sized guys which could be an issue for us and you can expect that Saad will get a lot of attention to prevent his offensive plays without his partner in crime.

Overall: We have an edge in the midfield and if we fail to capitalise on that we could easily lose. I rate Sydney's defense, especially their taller defenders. If we want to get our smaller forwards in positions to kick goals we need to mostly control the midfield battle.

I think we need Stringer forward. One kick out of the middle and it's in his lap well inside the F50. I'd be sending Parish to Parker, Heppell to Kennedy. As you say, I'd take low 20's possie wise from those two also and frees up Merrett to accumulate and Shiel to cut them up from the stoppages.

Can't see that you've mentioned Lloyd anywhere and I think Smith should go to him if we can work the matchup. Older head and will ensure he's accountable. We'll lose if we let Lloyd quarterback them with 30+ touches.

I'd give Papley to someone other than Saad. If Saady can get off the chain off a HBF in a more attacking role we'll slice them to shreds and give their defenders a terrible time. I'm not sure who goes to Papley though in saying that.

Swans won’t have too many tall forwards and given McKenna and Redman look unlikely Id say Ridley and Gleeson will be playing across our half back line.

Our depth of tall backman (and lack of contested marking tall forwards) means Hooker should play forward and Ive got a gut feeling James Stewart will be a bit of a surprise inclusion after not playing for 2 years.
Stringer as a mid excites me and we’ll need him in there to match up on the bigger bodied Swans in Kennedy and Parker.

So 1 week out I think our team looks like;-

Hurley Ambrose Francis
Gleeson Ridley Saad
Merrett Stringer McGrath
Townsend McKernan Smith
Laverde Hooker Tippa

Bellcho Heppell Shiel

Bench: Langford Zakka Parish Stewart

Go the mighty Bombers!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ridley has apparently been training the house down. His ability to find a target and deliver by foot coming out of defence is supposedly first class more often than not. Not sure about Ridley's physicality though.

I think we need Stringer forward. One kick out of the middle and it's in his lap well inside the F50. I'd be sending Parish to Parker, Heppell to Kennedy. As you say, I'd take low 20's possie wise from those two also and frees up Merrett to accumulate and Shiel to cut them up from the stoppages.

Can't see that you've mentioned Lloyd anywhere and I think Smith should go to him if we can work the matchup. Older head and will ensure he's accountable. We'll lose if we let Lloyd quarterback them with 30+ touches.

I'd give Papley to someone other than Saad. If Saady can get off the chain off a HBF in a more attacking role we'll slice them to shreds and give their defenders a terrible time. I'm not sure who goes to Papley though in saying that.
Florent is another player no-one's talking much about. If the likes of Parker and Kennedy are able to get the ball out to Florent he can burn down a wing, hopefully not Zaharakis's wing because we know what that looks like already. I'd really like to see Ham selected for his pace and gut running. I think it's time.

Oh s**t I didn’t realise that wasnt going ahead. I thought it was a certainty haven’t been paying enough attention 😅
I wish it was going ahead. To get back to what you were saying though, McKenna must be a good chance of playing i would hope. He was available for round 1 and could've trained as much as anyone during the layoff. He was in quarantine for 2 weeks but could've completed a stretching and strengthening program, and has now had 2 weeks of normal training.

He hasn’t trained for a couple of weeks, looking highly unlikely. He would come in for Gleeson, although I’d rather him come in for Zaharakis and keep Gleeson. Or bring Hibberd in for Zaharakis.
Is there any reason he hasnt trained? I agree but unfortunately we all know Zaka is untouchable. He was terrible in round 1. Hopefully he can turn it around but its been a long time since he strung a good run of games together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back