Round 2 Trades (4 available)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa
So 4 trades are available to us and the extra 2 for this round are also added to our overall tally, which is now 24.

With prices changing after 2 rounds instead of 3, every player that got a game in round 1 is now on the bubble which really makes trading strategy significant for the upcoming round. There are several schools of thought, 1 being to make as many knee-jerk trades as possible in order to capitalise on as many players that have a low BE.

Alternatively, with only 1 round of data, there may be merit in conserving trades early in order to get a better picture of who is a 'must have' and who is a 'must sell'. There is the possibility that several players who were not available for round 1, could now come into contention for a place in round 2, the likes of Doedee and Hill for instance.

As well, there are players who looked like stringing a few games together when the season started, but now may find themselves down the depth chart and unlikely to get a 2nd game this round. So there is a lot to think about. Obviously team lists will give a clearer picture of who we need to buy, sell and hold but we shouldnt wait till then to start making plans.

For me, i think Brayshaw -> Sturt is all but locked in. It is probably a bit reactionary particularly given that I think Brayshaw will improve but im currently only starting 1 rookie in my forwardline so i think i can afford to downgrade him, and bank the cash. I want Sturt as he looked pretty darn good in his debut. The next trade i think ill make is Cumming -> Brodie Smith. I never really wanted Cumming but with Hill and Doedee out for round 1 i selected him as a place holder. I think Smith, if injury free, should be a top 10-15 back.

Then, I'm really not too sure. The next decision most likely relies on the team sheets to be out as im not sure Bedford, Budarick or Starcevich will get another shot. If both Doedee and Hill are back i may use my 3rd trade to jump on one of them a round early so i can use my round 3 trades on other issues. So yeah, those are my current thoughts. Hopefully enough bigfooty members come back to the DT board in the coming weeks so there can be at least a little discussion. I'm just stoked the AFL is back in 16 days!

I started with Fort in my Fwd's but the ruck scoring seen in SC just doesn't translate over to DT it looked like.

I'm thinking of swapping him out, swinging Ferri down and having Naismith as my R3. The idea being between him, Hawn and Grundy I should get atleast 2 playing every round.

Cav out for Sturt

Hill + Doedee in if playing for some backline trash bags Roberton and a rookie

What the whole theory for DT scoring, less total overall points and 120 is now a 90?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So 4 trades are available to us and the extra 2 for this round are also added to our overall tally, which is now 24.

With prices changing after 2 rounds instead of 3, every player that got a game in round 1 is now on the bubble which really makes trading strategy significant for the upcoming round. There are several schools of thought, 1 being to make as many knee-jerk trades as possible in order to capitalise on as many players that have a low BE.

Alternatively, with only 1 round of data, there may be merit in conserving trades early in order to get a better picture of who is a 'must have' and who is a 'must sell'. There is the possibility that several players who were not available for round 1, could now come into contention for a place in round 2, the likes of Doedee and Hill for instance.

As well, there are players who looked like stringing a few games together when the season started, but now may find themselves down the depth chart and unlikely to get a 2nd game this round. So there is a lot to think about. Obviously team lists will give a clearer picture of who we need to buy, sell and hold but we shouldnt wait till then to start making plans.

For me, i think Brayshaw -> Sturt is all but locked in. It is probably a bit reactionary particularly given that I think Brayshaw will improve but im currently only starting 1 rookie in my forwardline so i think i can afford to downgrade him, and bank the cash. I want Sturt as he looked pretty darn good in his debut. The next trade i think ill make is Cumming -> Brodie Smith. I never really wanted Cumming but with Hill and Doedee out for round 1 i selected him as a place holder. I think Smith, if injury free, should be a top 10-15 back.

Then, I'm really not too sure. The next decision most likely relies on the team sheets to be out as im not sure Bedford, Budarick or Starcevich will get another shot. If both Doedee and Hill are back i may use my 3rd trade to jump on one of them a round early so i can use my round 3 trades on other issues. So yeah, those are my current thoughts. Hopefully enough bigfooty members come back to the DT board in the coming weeks so there can be at least a little discussion. I'm just stoked the AFL is back in 16 days!
I actually sent a message to sportsdeck late last week requesting that they do exactly this. Not that I'm suggesting they did it based on my request.
I'm so bloody glad though.
I will be using all four trades. Immediately prior to round 1, I was looking at going the same way as you in having 6 premium mids with Adams and Viney being two of the 6. At the last minute I changed and went with Whitfield instead plus a rookie (Green) instead. I was already happy with my forward premiums hence put Whitfield as a mid. That worked out well didn't it?
Adams and Viney are now coming back in place of Whitfield and Starcevich. Greenwood and T Lynch have been replaced with Wingard and a rookie (yet to be determined).
Funnily enough, I did a Supercoach team this year, just for the heck of it. Even though you can make 5 changes there, I only need three.

I actually sent a message to sportsdeck late last week requesting that they do exactly this. Not that I'm suggesting they did it based on my request.
I'm so bloody glad though.
I will be using all four trades. Immediately prior to round 1, I was looking at going the same way as you in having 6 premium mids with Adams and Viney being two of the 6. At the last minute I changed and went with Whitfield instead plus a rookie (Green) instead. I was already happy with my forward premiums hence put Whitfield as a mid. That worked out well didn't it?
Adams and Viney are now coming back in place of Whitfield and Starcevich. Greenwood and T Lynch have been replaced with Wingard and a rookie (yet to be determined).
Funnily enough, I did a Supercoach team this year, just for the heck of it. Even though you can make 5 changes there, I only need three.
I also was big on Viney but of course I didn’t go through with it. If I get him back in he won’t be nearly as good as he was in round 1. I recommend staying strong and not getting Viney. Only bring in guys who are a good chance of being a top 8-10 mid. Tadams is fine to bring in. I’m also wary of trading out Whit, just can’t do it. I can cop another poor score from him but if I miss out on a big score it will hurt a lot more

I also was big on Viney but of course I didn’t go through with it. If I get him back in he won’t be nearly as good as he was in round 1. I recommend staying strong and not getting Viney. Only bring in guys who are a good chance of being a top 8-10 mid. Tadams is fine to bring in. I’m also wary of trading out Whit, just can’t do it. I can cop another poor score from him but if I miss out on a big score it will hurt a lot more
I've got the Whit dilemma also, hell be a top six fwd in the end, so probably not worth the trade out and potentially 2 too get him back in.

Moving him and Dunks does allow for am upgrade of Roberton to a premo in the backs though as well as premo mid replacements.

Zorko or Lyons from Brissie both look well priced. Check Lyons season last year after the byes!!

after sifting through some numbers, here's a few players on my shortlist

DEF
501k Howe 110
480k Saad 100
345k Noble 67

FWD
579k Ebert 101
649k Heeney 101
567k Wingard 100
500k Smith,B 95
353k Bewley 89
482k Simpkin 89
362k Snelling 72
167k Georgiades 60

RUC
297k Naismith 78

MID
595k Viney 132
592k Cunnington 117
540k McGrath 92
365k Daicos 70
160k McInerney 48
160k Brown,T 46

The thing that came out of round 1 to me was that the 16 minute quarters will have a huge impact this year.
Most of the elite players didn't play any less than they normally did hence the lesser players and rookies were the ones to get less game time. Cash generation will be nowhere near as quick as past seasons.
As a result, other than Rowell and Pickett, I want as few rookies on field as possible.
This may mean taking a greater number of lower priced premiums such as Haynes, Saad & Howe as defenders. Adams, Viney or Cunnington as mids. Ebert, Wingard or Petracca as Forwards. I'd rather three of these in lieu of 2 uber premiums and a rookie who's going to score 35.

The thing that came out of round 1 to me was that the 16 minute quarters will have a huge impact this year.
Most of the elite players didn't play any less than they normally did hence the lesser players and rookies were the ones to get less game time. Cash generation will be nowhere near as quick as past seasons.
As a result, other than Rowell and Pickett, I want as few rookies on field as possible.
This may mean taking a greater number of lower priced premiums such as Haynes, Saad & Howe as defenders. Adams, Viney or Cunnington as mids. Ebert, Wingard or Petracca as Forwards. I'd rather three of these in lieu of 2 uber premiums and a rookie who's going to score 35.
Yeah I was wondering the same. Unlike SC where scores are normalised against a constant of available points, in DT you only get what to earn, correct?

Yeah I was wondering the same. Unlike SC where scores are normalised against a constant of available points, in DT you only get what to earn, correct?

Correct. You have 6 kicks and 2 mark with 1 tackle you get 28 points. DT doesn't care if 5 of your kicks were goal assists etc, etc. The DT game does not have 3300 points to share amongst the players either.

I'd rather three of these in lieu of 2 uber premiums and a rookie who's going to score 35.

I have been playing with the removal of Whitfield and Dunks/Bont over the weekend and it looks like getting me to 14 keepers as opposed to 13.

Plenty to consider in the next few days and nice to have atleast a couple of us chatting DT.

I have been playing with the removal of Whitfield and Dunks/Bont over the weekend and it looks like getting me to 14 keepers as opposed to 13.

Plenty to consider in the next few days and nice to have at least a couple of us chatting DT.

I'm sure we'll get a few more back in the next week or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These shortened quarters are going to cause some huge variations in players scores from week to week IMO.

How many times do you see one of your players scoring about 5-10pts, with only three or four minutes to go in any given quarter, and then junk it up at the end of the quarter.

I feel that sort of scoring isn’t going to be anywhere near as regular with these shortened quarters. Going to be extremely hard for a player to get to a decent score with a dud quarter.

My 4 trades at this stage

Dunkley out Viney in
Ceglar out Grundy in
B. Smith out Howe in
A. Brayshaw out (Whitfield to For and Houston to Mid) Saad in

These a rage trades, will look it at after team selections

Does not look like the rookies are going to score high this year, particularly with the shortening of games.

Plan is trade out players who are going to lose a chunk $ and get players that are going to make a lot of $

Got Grundy in, mistake not to have him at the start
Dunkley out because he is going to dropped a lot $ and the only way to get Grundy in
Hope Viney and Saad to make me some good $

Only player I might reassess to keep is B.Smith as he got injured during his first game

Last edited:
officially logged back onto RDT today
not as doom and gloom as I thought it would be, team has some issues but can still recover

Main issue is rookies. I have Green, Tyler Brown, Ben Davis, Budarick who are all uncertain. Plus I picked H. Young, have not heard much about his chances of playing. Thought it was a good move to bring him in round 1 since he was "close to playing" but heard nothing since.
I'm not going to be panicking on my uber premos yet, a lot of people trading out Dunks, Whit and others for other premos like Viney etc. Every premo this year will have a bad game quite regularly, just have to get used to it.

I'm more concerned about guys like Crisp, BSmith, Roberton. Crisp especially given his price tag, he just has to go. He spuds up every second week at the best of times, will be horrible to own him this year. Howe looked to have a much better role and I can pocket an easy 200k. That's about the only "luxury" trade I'll be making I think, the rest of the trades will be spent on fixing up rookies that aren't playing.

Had so many underperforming premos in round 1, I'm gonna give them another chance. If they spud up again, well then I might think about more drastic changes

These shortened quarters are going to cause some huge variations in players scores from week to week IMO.

How many times do you see one of your players scoring about 5-10pts, with only three or four minutes to go in any given quarter, and then junk it up at the end of the quarter.

I feel that sort of scoring isn’t going to be anywhere near as regular with these shortened quarters. Going to be extremely hard for a player to get to a decent score with a dud quarter.

Yeah, we need some stats on junk time scorers.

I just can't see anytime else I trust in the fwds after Whit & Dusty, so might hold on to Whit in the end

I’m here, looks like a crap year for rookies

It is so bad that the s**t ones we have, have no alternatives to trade too. Everyone has the usual suspects.

The midfield for one.

If you have the following

Rowell
Greene
Pickett
Brown
Budarick
McInerney

Deven Robertson is the only rookie outside of those and he scored 26 and has a BE of 11. That's it!!

No one can say they nailed that as there literally was no other group of six to go with. But Green sucked, Budarick sucked and McInerney and Brown were passable at best. There is no other course of action. Defenders are the same. There is barely enough rookies to cover 4 spots. I have a donut in Bailey Williams as I heard he was close to a game. Not because it's a smart move, there was literally no one else. Who did I miss out on by doing this? * all. Brendon Zerk-Thatcher and his 40 @ $242,000? Pfffftt.

Forwards are okay, but that's it.

Rookies suck.

It is so bad that the s**t ones we have, have no alternatives to trade too. Everyone has the usual suspects.

The midfield for one.

If you have the following

Rowell
Greene
Pickett
Brown
Budarick
McInerney

Deven Robertson is the only rookie outside of those and he scored 26 and has a BE of 11. That's it!!

No one can say they nailed that as there literally was no other group of six to go with. But Green sucked, Budarick sucked and McInerney and Brown were passable at best. There is no other course of action. Defenders are the same. There is barely enough rookies to cover 4 spots. I have a donut in Bailey Williams as I heard he was close to a game. Not because it's a smart move, there was literally no one else. Who did I miss out on by doing this? fu** all. Brendon Zerk-Thatcher and his 40 @ $242,000? Pfffftt.

Forwards are okay, but that's it.

Rookies suck.
For me Pickett, Rowell, Brander and Sturt were a pass for me.
McInerney and Taylor were passable, the rest stunk, Zerk-Thatcher, Starcevich, Budarick, Green, Anderson with B. Williams not playing
also had fairly cheap players Roberton, Schultz and Cumming having mares and not going to mention high pricers who were shite

Remove this Banner Ad

Back