Game Day Round 2 v saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
After a long hiatus footy is back, mysterious selection table decisions aside, we have an exciting debut with vandermeer having his first game, Jongy returning from the wilderness and a chance to atone for taking social distancing too literally in round one.

Teams
B: Gardner keath Williams
Hb: crozier jj Daniel
C smith Bont lipinski
Hf: dale naughton gowers
F: Wallis Bruce Lloyd
R: English Dunkley Macrae
Int: vandermeer Richards suckling Jong

B: Paton Wilkie Howard
Hb: long Clark geary
C hill jones Hannebery
Hf: Lonie king billings
F: Ryder membrey Gresham
R: Marshall Steele Ross
Int: Coffield butler hind Carlisle

Key match ups
English v Marshall/Ryder
Tim had a nightmare round one and will need to bounce back to break even with the saints rucks. Whilst we have the edge in the midfield if we can’t get some first use our mids will be in for a long day.

Howard & wilkie v naughton & Bruce
Our tall forwards need to be clunking the ball when it comes in or at least making a contest, naughton was underdone in round one and didn’t give a yelp, just the second time these guys get to play in the same forward line and they will need to find some chemistry quickly to put their contested marking prowess to work.

Hill v lippy/smith
The saints star recruit and one the best wingmen in the game, we lack a genuine wingmen and will need our players to be very aware of hill and limit his ability to run and carry and use his genuinely elite foot skills going forward.

Burning questions
Was round one a bump in the road or the signs of a rocky season?

Can English take that next step and become a ruck that can match it in the big time?

Will the match committee makes us look silly for questioning their selection decisions?

verdict

dogs by 10 points

Last edited:
I’m tipping second draw of the round - 3.17.35 each. Vandermeer BOG to get Rising Star nom ahead of Rowell.

Actually, your 10 points seems about right. I think talent-wise we’re slightly better across the park, but anything could happen after the lay-off.

Gardner to have 12 kicked on him including the winner for the Saints after the siren

Last edited:

I find it interesting we've stocked the team with pace. Might see some more long kicking/quicker entries than the last few seasons. Feels like we've stacked the side full of half back flankers.

It’s game day

Good to see Vandermeer debut today, I saw him in a preseason practice match, his injured leg is half the width of his other leg, hopefully it is now right with all the major soft tissue injuries he has had.

Like most posters I cannot believe Gardner is selected, he is a very VFL standard player at best. I would be very happy if I was big King for the Saints, although I think maybe we will send Crozier to the forward the Saints have at CHF.

Jong, another VFL grader but at least he gives us a hard body to compete in an area we were smashed in Round 1, let’s hope his disposal has improved since we seen him last.

We seem to have gone a little smaller than Saints and included players with a lot of pace let’s hope we can run them off their legs

Go Dogs

Hey guys, good luck tonight, looking forward to a good game hopefully.

Just wondering what you think the match ups down back will likely be?

I was thinking maybe Gardner to King who will play deep, Keath to Marshall/Ryder and Dale to Membrey?

I would think Gardner takes the resting ruck, keath will take king and would think any of crozier Williams or suckling will rotate on membrey.

Think keath could handle king but you’ll have an advantage in the other two match ups

Hey guys, good luck tonight, looking forward to a good game hopefully.

Just wondering what you think the match ups down back will likely be?

I was thinking maybe Gardner to King who will play deep, Keath to Marshall/Ryder and Dale to Membrey?

Dale is a pure forward, so no

I would think Gardner takes the resting ruck, keath will take king and would think any of crozier Williams or suckling will rotate on membrey.

Think keath could handle king but you’ll have an advantage in the other two match ups
Thanks for the reply.

I did mean Williams, not Dale.

Enjoy the game tonight. Good to have footy back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry mate, I meant Williams

Predicting who our defenders play on is usually a pretty tricky task. We play an often problematic team defence, which can usually end up with all 6-7 defenders playing on multiple forwards.
It all depends on where your fwds are playing and if they are staying deep or rotating the higher fwd role.
You can probably guarantee though that Gardiner and Keath will end up on two of you tall fwds for longer stints during the game.

Predicting who our defenders play on is usually a pretty tricky task. We play an often problematic team defence, which can usually end up with all 6-7 defenders playing on multiple forwards.
It all depends on where your fwds are playing and if they are staying deep or rotating the higher fwd role.
You can probably guarantee though that Gardiner and Keath will end up on two of you tall fwds for longer stints during the game.

This will also result in Daniel being caught one out against King or Ryder or both ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back