Autopsy Round 2 vs Bravedogs. Things learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

So I quote something your coach says and i'm the flog?
Quoted? Where? Paraphrased...

Anyone without a clear bias can see what Horse was indirectly implying.

None-the-less, it seems you guys have somehow found something almost every other team in the AFL have yet to figure out re: "interpretations" (based on the stats anyway). Clearly most clubs need to figure out what your guys do differently so we can adapt or we'll continue to feel robbed by the umpires.

Congratulations on the win. I'm really really looking fwd to our next match. See you at the SCG round 12.

Last edited:
Sinclair was good at start of 2016. Perhaps he could surprise. As along as we have an extra tall target (or decoy) and a second ruck. Reid could have had 10 if he had been plonked forward and left there.`
Yes, Reid in the ruck robbed us of his magic up forward. Don't know that Sinclair was ever "good", at best he was adequate. If he plays next week, I will be hoping for a surprise. I don't question his effort - just believe he has a flaw in his skill set. Most probably it is all between the ears. If he can mark the pill at training then he can do it game day. He could become a real weapon for us...but at the moment he's firing blanks.

Yes, Reid in the ruck robbed us of his magic up forward. Don't know that Sinclair was ever "good", at best he was adequate. If he plays next week, I will be hoping for a surprise. I don't question his effort - just believe he has a flaw in his skill set. Most probably it is all between the ears. If he can mark the pill at training then he can do it game day. He could become a real weapon for us...but at the moment he's firing blanks.
I actually really rate Sinkers' effort. For a big bloke he runs his guts up & tries his arse off I reckon. I agree, hopefully he can improve his marking & he could be an important inclusion/depth option.

Or he might be looking at the fact his team has the equal highest frees conceded after 2 rounds?

And no before you say it, that stat doesn't confirm the conspiracy against your team either as you have the been awarded the second highest as well.

Anyway I'll move on As I suspect I've overstayed my welcome..
Yer about 6 posts ago.

Or he might be looking at the fact his team has the equal highest frees conceded after 2 rounds?

And no before you say it, that stat doesn't confirm the conspiracy against your team either as you have the been awarded the second highest as well.

Anyway I'll move on As I suspect I've overstayed my welcome..

That stat confirms the conspiracy against the Swans

I actually really rate Sinkers' effort. For a big bloke he runs his guts up & tries his arse off I reckon. I agree, hopefully he can improve his marking & he could be an important inclusion/depth option.
If we believe that Plugger has been an important mentor for Reid and his self belief, then I am all for Plugger having a few sessions with Sinclair. He positions himself well in marking contests and then it all goes to hell.

If we believe that Plugger has been an important mentor for Reid and his self belief, then I am all for Plugger having a few sessions with Sinclair. He positions himself well in marking contests and then it all goes to hell.
Yeah agreed mate. Get him to work with Bud & Reid. Both have been clunking them the first 2 rounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Horse picked up on this last night. He basically said we don't get the calls on the "interpretations" and as such we mustn't understand how the umpires are going to call the rules anymore so we need to figure out exactly what they are going to call, when & how and work on it because we aren't obviously on the same page as the umpiring department.

I don't begrudge the dogs for playing to the rules given to them. Just like Selwood ducks/drops for frees... It's not illegal so why not use that advantage? It's gutless and weak but not against the interpretation of the rules afford.

We need to have a long hard look at what we must be doing wrong. We've got an interpretation wrong our end. Maybe we can tunnel the ball now? Maybe we should look at introducing more "flicking" handball into training? Maybe we need our boys to work more on researching the umpires as much as the opponents? It looks like our game is slowing being controlled more & more by the officiating, games are decided by the umpiring these days... So maybe we need to just accept it and try to own the game instead of assuming the rules are the rules as we interpret them. A throw these days is fine apparently. So is tunnel ball.

We gamed the AFL with the draft. We've gamed them with the trade period. Let's game them with the on field rules too. Stick it up them. Be the best damn "interpretors" in the AFL. If that's what will win us a GF then so be it.
The club needs to hire an interpreter who can speak Umpirish. It's a difficult to understand language, usually spoken by short men with big egos wearing neon coloured clothing. It's best understood by wearing a bulldogs jumper.

Your coach in the presser said your players are not playing to the current interpretation of the rules as well as we did. Have a look at your frees against in the two games. You've conceded about 30 free kicks in both games. You're not entitled to get as many for as you get against either.

You really do struggle reading between the lines dont you. You have a big set coming over here and its been a joy to see them chopped off.

The ONLY way you guys have been successful is with assistance from the umpires department. Plain and Simple

Some stray thoughts:

- Florent did some good things on Friday night, but I think when we get some first 22 players back, he'll be the first to go. Hayward just seems a bit more ready. Not a slight on him at all and I think the exposure to the senior level will do wonders for his development.

- Although there were a few questionable umpiring decisions against us, there were a few poor calls against the Dogs too. The umpiring performance for both teams was of a really low standard. I actually don't mind the free that Mills got pinged for, but they obviously need to be clearer about their interpretation as Mills was really adamant about his understanding of the rule. In the Brisbane game last night, there were a few times when players had to keep it in on the goal line and it was great!

- The spirit of the team to come back and get in front (admittedly on the back of some Buddy brilliance) is incredibly admirable. That shows there's still a lot to be pumped for in 2017.

- Bontompelli is an absolute star and the Bulldogs are a great team to watch play football. I'm heading down to Canberra in a few weeks to see them take on the Giants. Will be a fantastic game!

Its Plugger Lockett not Mandrake the Magician

Some stray thoughts:

- Florent did some good things on Friday night, but I think when we get some first 22 players back, he'll be the first to go. Hayward just seems a bit more ready. Not a slight on him at all and I think the exposure to the senior level will do wonders for his development.

- Although there were a few questionable umpiring decisions against us, there were a few poor calls against the Dogs too. The umpiring performance for both teams was of a really low standard. I actually don't mind the free that Mills got pinged for, but they obviously need to be clearer about their interpretation as Mills was really adamant about his understanding of the rule. In the Brisbane game last night, there were a few times when players had to keep it in on the goal line and it was great!

- The spirit of the team to come back and get in front (admittedly on the back of some Buddy brilliance) is incredibly admirable. That shows there's still a lot to be pumped for in 2017.

- Bontompelli is an absolute star and the Bulldogs are a great team to watch play football. I'm heading down to Canberra in a few weeks to see them take on the Giants. Will be a fantastic game!
If you like rugby league passing the Raiders are going well also

Remove this Banner Ad

Back