Autopsy Round 2 vs Essendon @ Marvel Stadium. 26/03/23 - 2:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Where’s Malcolm rosas at? And how come he didn’t play against the swans

Thought he be a lock in the team now that Rankine has gone
must not of gotten thru preseason at 100%, would of been a lock but no major issues. Not on the injury report
Will Humphreys be part of our mid rotation or will we leave him forward?
Played Mid in the preseason game, could get a CBA or two

I'm an Essendon fan but I have a soft spot for the Suns.

I think a couple of positional changes and making some tough calls on some talls is needed to front up with a more mobile team that can cover the ground a bit better. This week or next pending the fitness of a couple of guys I'd like to see a Gold Coast side looking like this:

B: Farrar Collins Long
HB: Weller Ballard Lukosius
C: Powell Rowell Hollands
HF: Jeffrey Chol Ainsworth
F: Rosas King Humphrey
R: Witts Miller Anderson
Int: Flanders Swallow Graham Holman Sub: Fiorini/Davies
you think you’ll play both Draper and Phillips again?
Will Humphreys be part of our mid rotation or will we leave him forward?
suspect Flanders type role.
Mostly forward. Few stints on the ball Potentially.

you think you’ll play both Draper and Phillips again?

suspect Flanders type role.
Mostly forward. Few stints on the ball Potentially.
Yeah I'm fairly certain that we'll play both rucks again. Given that neither Jones or Weideman are proper target men who you can kick a bailout kick to and rely on them not to get outbodied and outmarked I think we need to play two rucks so one can play up forward. Draper looked ok up there on the weekend too.

Our game plan of contested footy is completely different to everyone else now. Everyone is run and gun
I come in peace.
Just thought I'd add to your discussion; the Bombers I saw weren't the same ones as last season. We seemed to have a clear directive against Hawthorn to trust our kicking out of defence and often switched angles. We didn't seem to run and carry unless the situation called for it, and when we did there were a lot of aggressive forward handballs. We look to have polished this since Truck was ousted.

I fear the quality of your mids, but if we play to a similar level against GC they'll need to support your defenders with plenty of pressure. Didn't see a lot of your game against Sydney but it looked like Touk and Swallow were mainly carrying that load?

Really looking forward to seeing Humphrey; I had hoped we'd draft him.

I come in peace.
Just thought I'd add to your discussion; the Bombers I saw weren't the same ones as last season. We seemed to have a clear directive against Hawthorn to trust our kicking out of defence and often switched angles. We didn't seem to run and carry unless the situation called for it, and when we did there were a lot of aggressive forward handballs. We look to have polished this since Truck was ousted.

I fear the quality of your mids, but if we play to a similar level against GC they'll need to support your defenders with plenty of pressure. Didn't see a lot of your game against Sydney but it looked like Touk and Swallow were mainly carrying that load?

I managed to catch your game (as i own Archie Perkins in AFL Keeper League) What a player! Don't mind if he kicks 3.3 again along as you lose ;)

It was a pretty open game, probably says more about how bad Hawthorn actually were. Your boys just moved the ball really well like it was another intra club game.

We had our backs against the wall against the Grand Finallist who applied maximum pressure so it's going to be an interesting match up. Which team will turn up in the first quarter?

Last year we went into the team way too tall and lacking speed, we are basically in the same position with potentially Weller & Powell back to add some speed. Merrett, Parish, Setterfield, Shiel are good enough to match us in the midfield because of their speed. Durham, Redman, McGrath & Martin will have a field day if Scott does decide to play quick and trust foot skills.

I think we are in trouble, unless we come fully switched on.

Some doubts on Weidmann and tippa. Stringer would be permanently forward you would think looks way underdone.

Doesn't matter, he is the exact type of player that destroys us. Especially with the state our backline is in.
I'd back Long to do a job on him. Didn't do too bad against Heeney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I come in peace.

Rowell recorded 47 pressure acts which was clear most for the round
He was also the second highest pressure act player in the league last year.
I think we’d have to mention him when discussing pressure around the ball.

I’d suggest Touk probably pushes back into the defence better though.

Sorry mods. Can someone point me in the direction of the thread for questions about memberships? I live abroad and have been trying to get the international membership, but whenever I try to sign-up an account it requires phone number verification which doesn't seem to work for me. Haven't gotten an email back from the membership team for the past several days. I'm at risk of missing our next game!

edit: gonna ask a mate in another country if I can just use his number.

Last edited:
I managed to catch your game (as i own Archie Perkins in AFL Keeper League) What a player! Don't mind if he kicks 3.3 again along as you lose ;)

It was a pretty open game, probably says more about how bad Hawthorn actually were. Your boys just moved the ball really well like it was another intra club game.

We had our backs against the wall against the Grand Finallist who applied maximum pressure so it's going to be an interesting match up. Which team will turn up in the first quarter?

Last year we went into the team way too tall and lacking speed, we are basically in the same position with potentially Weller & Powell back to add some speed. Merrett, Parish, Setterfield, Shiel are good enough to match us in the midfield because of their speed. Durham, Redman, McGrath & Martin will have a field day if Scott does decide to play quick and trust foot skills.

I think we are in trouble, unless we come fully switched on.
Yeah Hawthorn were awful, long may they be so. Most posters on the Essendon board are more interested in seeing how we go against more capable sides so this week's game is going to be better hopefully.

We remained structured and held our shape much better than last year, defending with more purpose and understanding than last year I think.

I did see the pressure Sydney was applying; they can be ruthless even without umpires. Obviously I'd hope what we see is Essendon matching that kind of intensity, but I expect GC to come out firing. I watched until half way through the second term and you could tell they'd been pushed by Dew and were responding. I think they'll start stronger this week at least.

I hear what you're saying about our mids. They do have a decent burst of speed (even Setters which surprised me for a big guy) but all of Merrett, Parish and Shiel are prone to just dumping the kick if the pressure's there. You are right though; the MO seemed to be to play on quickly. We found a lot of space and Durham and Martin just did not stop running. But it was Hawthorn.

Constable with the kick outs was interesting though, and it was interesting to see King now with both Chol and Casboult. Chol and King pushing up to the wings and back should give you lots of options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back