PREVIEW THREAD: Round 2 Vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
JJ must have had a setback? He was on track for round 2 or 3 and now he’s back to running laps. Website now says 2-4 weeks as well.

Like Bevo said, they want to go out and try win the game first before trying to save it. Naughton back and Cordy fwd would be the ultimate step back + try save the game move instead of being aggressive and trying to win.
I hear ya. If our midfield dominates, then of course we have Naughton forward. I'm just concerned that Roughy may get off the chain early due to the lack of a bigger bodied match-up if our mid-field struggles. I wouldn't want to give them a sniff. We could still create avenues to goal through Libba, Wallis, Gowers, Loyd.

Reckon we field the same team, especially if it’s raining, we’d rather be smaller then tall and if it’s really coming down and no one is marking we could swing Naughton back as a bigger body and a leap/spoiler.

The one I was thinking about bringing in (if we want to give smith a run in the two’s or if Suckling is injured) is Brad Lynch. I think he kicked two goals in that vfl practice match playing half forward, wing. I could see him filling in for Smith but with a bit more experience and pace. He was pretty exciting in that role against the tigers at the G last year, almost kicked three. Or if ducklings injured he can play down back as that aggressive runner and user.

Sicily has the most puncheable face in the afl. it is even more punchable than greene's at gws. can't stand the flog. knock him out cordy, please and make my year.
Not that we condone violence here on BF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else watch Hawthorn play on the weekend and worried that the way they set up is specifically to counter being beaten in the midfield?

If we’re going to win this it won’t be just by overwhelming them in the midfield. We’ll need our mid/fwd connection to be functioning like it did at its best moments against Sydney.

If we win the midfield but the result is rushed kicks inside 50 or missed connections, we’ll have more trouble overcoming that than we would against any other non-top 4 side.

IMO no way can Dickson come out and we can’t afford to bring Trengove in at the expense of a non-KPD.

Anyone else watch Hawthorn play on the weekend and worried that the way they set up is specifically to counter being beaten in the midfield?

If we’re going to win this it won’t be just by overwhelming them in the midfield. We’ll need our mid/fwd connection to be functioning like it did at its best moments against Sydney.

If we win the midfield but the result is rushed kicks inside 50 or missed connections, we’ll have more trouble overcoming that than we would against any other non-top 4 side.

IMO no way can Dickson come out and we can’t afford to bring Trengove in at the expense of a non-KPD.
Depends on the weather for mine, im against the two ruckmen at this stage but if its a wet slog Trengoves a must for mine. And the rain would probably suit us well overall to be honest. If its dry guys like Sicily will beat us up if our forward entries are poor

Depends on the weather for mine, im against the two ruckmen at this stage but if its a wet slog Trengoves a must for mine. And the rain would probably suit us well overall to be honest. If its dry guys like Sicily will beat us up if our forward entries are poor
it is expected to be fine..

Don’t want another tall if it’s going to be wet

Still think we should bring in Hayes for Smith as our only change. A bit harsh but I think we could use the extra disposals/mature body of Will Hayes. Or if Suckers doesn't get up then Hayes in for him off a half back.

Still think we should bring in Hayes for Smith as our only change. A bit harsh but I think we could use the extra disposals/mature body of Will Hayes. Or if Suckers doesn't get up then Hayes in for him off a half back.

What good are extra disposals if they are all turnovers? If we play Hayes against the Hawks they will kick 5 goals or more from his turnovers alone.

McEvoy is a genuine target up forward when he goes there, Ceglar not so much.

Apologies for the intrusion fellas. Just thought I'd add some context around this, whilst only a small sample size (8 games I believe), after Ceglar returned from his ACL last year he averaged more goals per game as a ruck than any other ruck in the comp. He did a chunk of this whilst playing as the first ruck when McEvoy went down with the broken cheek bone as well, and not as a resting forward ruck.

I doubt we'd back in 2 ruckman to play week in week out if both weren't able to contribute up forward. In saying that Ceglar didn't hit the scoreboard last week against Adelaide.

Good luck on the weekend and lets hope there are no injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back