• Brodie Smith

• Elliott Himmelberg

• Patrick Parnell

• Lachlan Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people are focusing on the wrong issues. Our ball movement on the outside has been quite good this year and our ability to score is good (set shot conversion is horrible though).

Our work without the ball is the major issue this year, I’ve only seen it at a high intensity in two quarters (the 3rd today and 1st last week). Until that improves opposition will continue to score easily against us and it won’t matter if we have 20+ scoring shots. It won’t matter if we play two KPDs if our pressure up the field remains poor. I know we have the ability to apply good pressure as it was our strength last year, but something just isn’t clicking in 2023.

Couldn't agree more. Last year team played with defensive fight despite the talent deficiency...many opposition sides said how tough it was to beat the Crows.

This year they introduce a more aggressive ball movement at the expense of the defensive pressure.

Its like they can't do both. That's on coaching.

No, Laird was far better than Sloane yesterday.

Wasn't even close.
Not my point, Sloane wasn't the cause that we lost, Lairds game had far more impact in the result than Sloane. People see 39 touch's and assume he played well, he didn't. He was the main reason we stayed in games the last few years, but the last 2 games he was a liability. Our abysmal performance in the middle this year lies firmly at his feet. These stat readers hammer Sloane and Smith etc, pick on the 2-3 year kids, call them spuds but laird gets the pass because he got 39 touch's. He was not better, he was stationary, he had no impact in the middle and his run and chase was pathetic but hey 39 touch's, a lot of which went right to a tigers player. How many times did they bring it way too easy out of the middle straight to a leading forward and a goal. Don't blame Sloane or Smith for that, lack of reading the play and pressure lies at the feet of the senior player in the middle.

Not my point, Sloane wasn't the cause that we lost, Lairds game had far more impact in the result than Sloane. People see 39 touch's and assume he played well, he didn't. He was the main reason we stayed in games the last few years, but the last 2 games he was a liability. Our abysmal performance in the middle this year lies firmly at his feet. These stat readers hammer Sloane and Smith etc, pick on the 2-3 year kids, call them spuds but laird gets the pass because he got 39 touch's. He was not better, he was stationary, he had no impact in the middle and his run and chase was pathetic but hey 39 touch's, a lot of which went right to a tigers player. How many times did they bring it way too easy out of the middle straight to a leading forward and a goal. Don't blame Sloane or Smith for that, lack of reading the play and pressure lies at the feet of the senior player in the middle.
Your 1st sentence is manifestly incorrect.

The problem with Laird is he thinks getting 39 touches means he's played well

His actual effectiveness is no different to midfielders getting 25 touches.

I'd like to see him focus less on stat padding and getting bulk disposals, and more on ensuring every touch he gets is useful
I think that Laird knows exactly what his supercoach numbers are each week. He was the most expensive player at 703k at the beginning of the season. I would rather 25 effevtive disposals than 39 Laird disposals. The bloke tries hard but something is not right with him this year. He looked drunk out there at times yesterday and seemed off week one.

Negatives.
1) Our selections were terrible. No Butts killed us.
2) Murphy is done. Shouldnt be discussed for selection.
3) Himmelberg should never play for this club at Afl level again. Especially infront of Tilthorpe. His workrate is well below what is required. Plays 2 good games a year and continues to underachieve. Another Shaun Mckernan.
4) Our midfield is small, slow and one dimensional. Laird has become a new version of Matt Crouch.
Racks up the touches but the hurt factor is minimal.
1) Agree; no ifs or Butts about it.
2) Tough call. Murphy was far from our worst player.
3) Thilthorpe as Emergency was ridiculous. Moronic selection. I'd have preferred to see him playing loose in defence in that first half (and I am NOT saying he is a defender, but he would have been better back there with Butts out). Himmelberg, sigh. Good SANFL player, retain as depth and break glass in case of Emergency.
4) Agree. Laird's 30+ disposals have become less and less damaging. At one stage he handballed to O'Brien (when he could have taken off and run forward) who was so surpised/unprepared that the ball bounced off one of O'Brien's hands.

11 possessions with most of the game in midfield

Underwhelming offensively
Maybe it was more the disposals he did actually have appeared to have impact offensively. He’s obviously had far better games, but he was better than last week. On thin ice, but deserves more opportunity after his excellent 2022. Schoenberg copping a fair bit of criticism, but he’s been a fair bit better than Berry so far. Sounds like Taylor performed well in the SANFL, interesting selection coming up.

Maybe it was more the disposals he did actually have appeared to have impact offensively. He’s obviously had far better games, but he was better than last week. On thin ice, but deserves more opportunity after his excellent 2022. Schoenberg copping a fair bit of criticism, but he’s been a fair bit better than Berry so far. Sounds like Taylor performed well in the SANFL, interesting selection coming up.
Has to continue to be picked for sure

I've noticed this for at least the last two years - we body up at centre bounce and rarely get to the right position at the time of the tap. The only bloke who consistently gets good position is Rachele, although Soligo has good instincts too. Generally, our centre work is shocking.
Another poster (sorry, I forget who) commented that Nicks' defensive plan is allowing the opposition to get the ball, dispossess them, and work off the turnover. Crows players around clearances are static, waiting for something to happen, reactively. O'Brien tapping to one of our mids on the run/burst is as rare as rocking horse s**t.

Leigh Matthews was ribbed on TV one day about his low tackle count. He smiled and said "You don't have to tackle when you've got the ball". VB and our mids need to wake up to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another poster (sorry, I forget who) commented that Nicks' defensive plan is allowing the opposition to get the ball, dispossess them, and work off the turnover. Crows players around clearances are static, waiting for something to happen, reactively. O'Brien tapping to one of our mids on the run/burst is as rare as rocking horse s**t.

Leigh Matthews was ribbed on TV one day about his low tackle count. He smiled and said "You don't have to tackle when you've got the ball". VB and our mids need to wake up to that.
Agree with this. Our mids are very stationary. We seem to wait for the opponent to get the ball, then try to tackle, rather than actually winning the ball first.

That’s just crazy if that’s his plan

Nothing wrong with being capable and good at both. Something like an Akermanis where he could do both roles pretty darn well. Both have similar footy smarts too I feel.
I know and agree. But I think we just need to change the narrative of us spending 2 top 6 picks on small forwards and never using a top pick on an Elite mid. When anyone who watches footy can plainly see that Rachele is gonna be that Elite goalkicking midfielder that we've been desperate for.

Literally can not wait to see what he can do with 80 games and 4 preseasons under his belt

There was a moment during the game where the camera cut to Rankine on the bench when we were being smashed, and it looked like he had realised we're no better than Gold Coast
I saw that and posted in the Game Day thread.
He was standing with hands on hips, looking down, looking dejected.

I think Doedee drank his own bathwater - he has been pretty average for a while now.

Luckily we weren't stupid and made Dawson captain.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What happened yesterday is exactly what has happened every other time the coaches have tried to play 187cm interception-oriented medium defender Tom Doedee as a key defender - all his intercepts and rebounds disappear as he sacrifices them to the defensive job, and he gets beat anyway because he's too small.

But we keep on doing it. Over and over again. Because, you watch out, it's going to work eventually. One day.

I know and agree. But I think we just need to change the narrative of us spending 2 top 6 picks on small forwards and never using a top pick on an Elite mid. When anyone who watches footy can plainly see that Rachele is gonna be that Elite goalkicking midfielder that we've been desperate for.

Literally can not wait to see what he can do with 80 games and 4 preseasons under his belt
I might be wrong on this, but I think McLeod started out as a forward and later was shifted to the midfield when his body was more developed and fit. So I guess it’s really about the potential to be an elite midfielder, rather than having to be a starting midfielder to be an elite midfielder.
I can think of another example in Rozee, started out as a gun forward, and now becoming a damaging mid/forward.

Ok I m going to base this on when we’re playing at our best.. the 3rd quarter.
GOOD
Rachele is an out an out gun
Max is a player
Murray stepping up
BAD
Spilled marks inside 50
Smith is no longer required
Berry and Schoenberg need to go back to SANFL and find the ball
UGLY
Goalkicking is a real issue now
inability to hit targets

Max Michaelaney proved today why he was a first round pick, was fantastic.

Sholl took his chance can't believe we've been playing Sloane on the wing when this kid can run all day and is a ball magnet.

Murray was very good on Lunch, there were times he couldn't do much as there was zero pressure from the midfield.

Rachele is the most talented player on the list, * I hope he stays and gets some support because he looks like he loves the club and then fans he tried to pull us onto his back.

The basic skill error were horrific, at time in that 2nd 1/4 players gave up they didn't chase they just hung their head. Laird was responsible for about 4 Richmond goals and then cut off the leading Tex. What good is 38 disposals if you constantly burn the ball.

Schoenberg and Berry both couldn't get near it and when they did not much good came from it.

It's time for Zac Taylor to get a run and as soon as Crouch is fit he's straight in this team.

And Laird always calls for the ball irrespective of his position on the field. He can’t deliver the ball to a leading forward either.

Very frustrating and yes, he directly cost us 3-4 goals in the first half.

He is not elite.

Last edited:
Back