U18 Champs Round 2 - WA vs Vic Metro

Remove this Banner Ad

27. Sam Taylor - I do like this kids game, but I really think he needs to work a little harder on his body contact. He seems to rely on his pure speed and jumping ability. Has some nice closing speed, spoils well and does not lose his feet. I also like his kicking, hands in close and second efforts.
29. Aaron Naughton - On first viewing I was a Taylor fan over Naughton, but I think Naughton's attacking ability and body work is stronger than Naughtons. Once again has some nice kicking and awareness.
22. Kyron Hayden - Was my favourite last week and this week was a little down on performance. I still like his inside work, strong bodied midfielder that does remind me a little of SPP. On second viewing he may only be a rookie selection, but in a weak draft he could go higher.
25. Oscar Allen - Had a sloopy game in the 2nd and 3rd quarters but played well in the first and fourth. Normally strong on the lead, but today seemed to spill a few marks and his kicking is a little hit and miss for mine. Undersized forward that does not seem to have another string to his bow, so may struggle to get picked up.
11. Callum England - Probably only a sneaky rookie selection chance, but he has the speed and ability to spread from a contest. His kicking for me is a real worry, but if he improves his kicking (the mechanics of his action does not seem terrible) then he may get on a rookie list.
19. Christian Ameduri - I liked his game last week, this week he was not clean and seemed a little slow in his play.
15. Brayden Ainsworth - Finds space and does a lot right, but I think his kicking is a major concern.

I'll get to the VM guys soon.

Missed the first half so didn't witness the Higgins Show. In the second half Rayner impressive, good games from Hayes, Cerra, Mynott and Petruccelle.

Other than Joyce and Ainsworth, Naughton, England and Frampton was disappointed at the lack of consistent effort from WA. Allen played a good 4th quarter but his disposal was sloppy at times in the 3rd. AFL has Patmore in WA's bests and but I was unimpressed. Boullineau and West had very bad halves, ditto Roe.

EDIT: Snap, Lemming beat me re Allan. And he's right about Taylor, bodied too easily off the goal line when trying to spoil a shot on goal.

While you're here Bish and Don, what are Higgins kicking skills like and his speed?

I take it he's pretty similar to Jade Gresham in the way he plays and attributes yeah?

His speed has never been a strength of his and he doesn't burst from the stoppages. Is working with a speed coach but I can't see him breaking 3 sec barrier for 20m sprint (3.064 in TAC Cup testing) - probably one of his pure weakness' compared with the other likely high midfielders (Cerra, Davies-Uniacke, Dow etc who run sub 3s)

A lot of his kicks so far in the TAC Cup have been short and sideways/backwards and not very damaging. So his Kicking efficiency % is pretty high - but as for damaging not so much. Can hit a pinpoint stab over 15-20m better than anyone.

While you're here Bish and Don, what are Higgins kicking skills like and his speed?

I take it he's pretty similar to Jade Gresham in the way he plays and attributes yeah?
Not a bad comparison, he has a nice burst of speed and he has very clean hands, short kicking is fine just not massively damaging. Very compact in the way he does things

I thought Miller did a good job in the ruck for WA particularly in the second half

Overall the vics were just too big and powerful for WA. Their ball handling and disposal was a class above as well

The WA lads did well to hang in and not get completely blown away despite clearly being outgunned

I was impressed with Rayners game for Victoria. He's a good size and plays with a bit of mongrel thst will translate well at AFL level

Did those who saw the game notice where Rayner was playing most of the time? Midfield, forward, both?

Spent a lot of time in the midfield and drifting forward. His best work is in the midfield for mine and playing a high forward role. On the other hand Cerra looked dangerous closer to goal.

A lot of his kicks so far in the TAC Cup have been short and sideways/backwards and not very damaging. So his Kicking efficiency % is pretty high - but as for damaging not so much. Can hit a pinpoint stab over 15-20m better than anyone.

Sam Mitchell?

Spent a lot of time in the midfield and drifting forward. His best work is in the midfield for mine and playing a high forward role. On the other hand Cerra looked dangerous closer to goal.
Ha, that's the opposite of what I would have expected to hear, but good to know, thanks.

I'm really keen on Rayner for us at this stage if we keep the Hawks pick and he's available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 Joel Garner - I did not notice Garner most of the game, did a few nice things in the last quarter but nothing stood out to me this game. In saying that, I did struggle to really pay attention to all the VM players.

28 Noah Balta
- Seems about as quick as the queen mary, not very impressed with his game to be honest.

6 Dylan Landt
- This player is smart and is someone worth watching a lot closer in future weeks. He bobbed up in my notes quickly. It was hard to put my finger on what I liked, but he seemed very smart and dangerous around the ground. He was not on my radar, but he made me notice him. I would not mind having someone who has watched him more than me give me a great run down on his style.

14 Jack Petruccelle
- Played a lot down back and could be a poor mans McGrath. Seems to have plenty of dash and is the kind of player that gains a good 15/20 meters with is dash. Moved onto the wing and did not look out of place in the midfield, I would be keeping a closer eye on this kid in future games.

17 Adam Cerra
- Taranto was my favourite player from last years draft and this guy currently is one of my favourites. Very good inside work and my god he can lay a strong tackle. Took a few big hits and one time came off with the blood rule. Watched him in the forward line and he was playing from the goal square a few times and just knew when to lead. Seems like a very smart footballer and I would not blink at him going in the top 3 this year from my limited viewing. His game is what I expected from Fogarty, so I was glad I only had to wait a week to see someone play with this strength.

5 Patrick Naish - Another player that I did not massively have on my radar and then I watch him in the midfield basically break this guys ankle with a lovely sidestep and I pay a lot more attention. This guy has some ability and does some lovely work in the midfield. In future, I would be watching this kid a lot more closely to see how he handles the midfield. Anyone with more knowledge than myself, feel free updating me with his game style.
23 Jaidyn Stephenson - I wanted to see more from him, basically parked himself on the wing and ran hard all day. Not saying he was terrible, but I had him a strong consideration for a top 3 pick and I have a a few players ahead of him at the moment. I found his kicking to lack a touch of penetration today when compared to Rayner and Cerra.

2 Jack Higgins - Loved his first half and his work up forward and in the midfield was very good. Not at the level of Rayner and Cerra for mine, as he just does not look as damaging with his possessions. Still very solid kicking within 30m. If you're looking for a smart small forward/midfielder than he may be the player of this draft.

1 Dylan Moore Nice clearance player and I think he does his best work on the inside and once again was not on my radar to start with and started to make me take notes. Loved his body work on the inside and my only real concern is the fact he seems to through it onto his boot at times instead of spotting up a player.

37 Sam Hayes
Not sure I would be spending a top 10 pick on this kid at the moment. I am slightly worried about his love for the contest. He seems very slow with is hands. I thought our below average rucks put up a good contest with Hayes and Hayes certainly did not look amazing around the ground. Where do you play this kid? I think Ruck should be his main role and I just don't see it at the moment. (I was rated this kid highly going into this season)

19 Cameron Rayner - This kid is top 5 almost without doubt at the moment. Strong bodied midfield but I watched some of his moves around the contest and I was massively impressed. I like him roaming forward as well and looked strong overhead. It was a fight between him and Cerra for the best AFL quality player for mine today.

25 Nicholas Coffield -
My little boy stole my mobile phone so I did not read the fact someone wanted me to take notes on him. It did not matter that he was not on my radar, he made me pay attention. I think he does his best work across the HBF, might be a little short, but certainly strong in the contest, good overhead and makes nice decisions. Made a few lovely passes into the center of the ground that opened up WA.

Wouldn't mind hearing about Higgins game. Apparently he's had a bit of it, but has he been damaging with his disposal?

As above. His disposal for mine is not massively damaging but it does not seem like an issue.

I am interested to hear how Balta is going

As above, poor for mine.
Anyone who's there, thoughts on Petruccelle/Coffield/Garner?
As noted above

Rayner, Cerra and Petruccle pls!

Three of the better players for mine on the field.
Rayner and Cerra are top 5 picks for mine.

Higgins for me as well to LemmingMaster

Sam Hayes for me Lemming.

I would not be picking him with a top 10 pick, but that may just be me.

8 Joel Garner - I did not notice Garner most of the game, did a few nice things in the last quarter but nothing stood out to me this game. In saying that, I did struggle to really pay attention to all the VM players.

28 Noah Balta
- Seems about as quick as the queen mary, not very impressed with his game to be honest.

6 Dylan Landt
- This player is smart and is someone worth watching a lot closer in future weeks. He bobbed up in my notes quickly. It was hard to put my finger on what I liked, but he seemed very smart and dangerous around the ground. He was not on my radar, but he made me notice him. I would not mind having someone who has watched him more than me give me a great run down on his style.

14 Jack Petruccelle
- Played a lot down back and could be a poor mans McGrath. Seems to have plenty of dash and is the kind of player that gains a good 15/20 meters with is dash. Moved onto the wing and did not look out of place in the midfield, I would be keeping a closer eye on this kid in future games.

17 Adam Cerra
- Taranto was my favourite player from last years draft and this guy currently is one of my favourites. Very good inside work and my god he can lay a strong tackle. Took a few big hits and one time came off with the blood rule. Watched him in the forward line and he was playing from the goal square a few times and just knew when to lead. Seems like a very smart footballer and I would not blink at him going in the top 3 this year from my limited viewing. His game is what I expected from Fogarty, so I was glad I only had to wait a week to see someone play with this strength.

5 Patrick Naish - Another player that I did not massively have on my radar and then I watch him in the midfield basically break this guys ankle with a lovely sidestep and I pay a lot more attention. This guy has some ability and does some lovely work in the midfield. In future, I would be watching this kid a lot more closely to see how he handles the midfield. Anyone with more knowledge than myself, feel free updating me with his game style.
23 Jaidyn Stephenson - I wanted to see more from him, basically parked himself on the wing and ran hard all day. Not saying he was terrible, but I had him a strong consideration for a top 3 pick and I have a a few players ahead of him at the moment. I found his kicking to lack a touch of penetration today when compared to Rayner and Cerra.

2 Jack Higgins - Loved his first half and his work up forward and in the midfield was very good. Not at the level of Rayner and Cerra for mine, as he just does not look as damaging with his possessions. Still very solid kicking within 30m. If you're looking for a smart small forward/midfielder than he may be the player of this draft.

1 Dylan Moore Nice clearance player and I think he does his best work on the inside and once again was not on my radar to start with and started to make me take notes. Loved his body work on the inside and my only real concern is the fact he seems to through it onto his boot at times instead of spotting up a player.

37 Sam Hayes
Not sure I would be spending a top 10 pick on this kid at the moment. I am slightly worried about his love for the contest. He seems very slow with is hands. I thought our below average rucks put up a good contest with Hayes and Hayes certainly did not look amazing around the ground. Where do you play this kid? I think Ruck should be his main role and I just don't see it at the moment. (I was rated this kid highly going into this season)

19 Cameron Rayner - This kid is top 5 almost without doubt at the moment. Strong bodied midfield but I watched some of his moves around the contest and I was massively impressed. I like him roaming forward as well and looked strong overhead. It was a fight between him and Cerra for the best AFL quality player for mine today.

25 Nicholas Coffield -
My little boy stole my mobile phone so I did not read the fact someone wanted me to take notes on him. It did not matter that he was not on my radar, he made me pay attention. I think he does his best work across the HBF, might be a little short, but certainly strong in the contest, good overhead and makes nice decisions. Made a few lovely passes into the center of the ground that opened up WA.

As above. His disposal for mine is not massively damaging but it does not seem like an issue.

As above, poor for mine.

As noted above

Three of the better players for mine on the field.
Rayner and Cerra are top 5 picks for mine.

I would not be picking him with a top 10 pick, but that may just be me.
Great work on all that mate :thumbsu:

11 Ryley Stoddart - This is another player that I would not be shocked to see moving up a few draft boards in the coming weeks. Have not heard a heap about him from the main Vic posters, but he looks like a nice mid sized defender.
Couldn't agree more. Vic Metro coaches will now have no choice but to unleash this kid , as he is not the fringe player I think , that they think he is. When he got cleaned up...... Riewoldt SCG type courage. Beautiful ball user too.

11 Ryley Stoddart - This is another player that I would not be shocked to see moving up a few draft boards in the coming weeks. Have not heard a heap about him from the main Vic posters, but he looks like a nice mid sized defender.

He's a gun - have had him inside top 30 all year. Will come with a rush late in the champs and TAC Cup finals for Eastern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back