Review Round 2 - West Coast Eagles v GWS Giants, Saturday 30 March 2019, Optus Stadium @ 8.10 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The boys still too emotional and not playing with their heads. When they arewinning they have a heap of energy and wreak havoc. When they know they will lose they just throw in the towel. Cameron as some have mentioned definitely a big culprit over the years. Some degree of damage control needs to be implemented into our game plan.

Sam Taylor only played 53% game time. Apparently a knee knock in the 3rd quarter. Anyone see anything? The wave of injuries coming again - Greene and Perryman in Rd 1, Taylor and Davis Rd 2. Corr still unheard of. Not even surprising anymore given our 2017 + 2018 run.

Some words from Leon Cameron during the presser:

"Coniglio, De Boer, Hopper and Taranto had a really good duel with their mids. We hope to get Kelly back next week and throw him through the midfield.

Toby Greene will put his hand up next week and Shane Mumford comes off his suspension but we’ll review tonight before we go into next week.

Phil Davis got a poke in the eye and Sam Taylor was tight in his hamstrings so we were really cautious with him and we’d expect him to play next week."

Disappointing. Great illustration of the coaching gap between Leon and a coach who is capable of winning the flag.

The same mistakes keep happening. Slow long kicks just begging the opposition to intercept. Leon has been coaching for years and it has never changed.

As much as I am optimistic when players get better every year, from Greene to Taylor, having a coach incapable of putting it all together is an enthusiasm killer.

But heading for another year of being competitive I am sure. Lots of good players still out there.

Only positive to that game was seeing how damaging Whitfield could be. Unfortunately, not enough to solve our inside 50 issues.

Doesn't help that we don't have Greene in there to help add another element of threat for the WC defense to worry about when we're booting it inside 50.

I did like the adjustment to bring Haynes forward, that seemed to help a bit. But probably too little too late, in addition to the calls that went WCE's way that gave them too much momentum to carry the game away.

The constant question marks around the respective injuries of Kelly and Greene worries me.

Having Cogs tagged with no Kelly or Ward to take advantage of the free air is huge.
Our mids overall were not composed and continued to bomb it in despite that not working, ever
Hickey ran Dawson off his feet, complete towel up, if fit Mummy plays next week, if not Flynn will
Taylor got schooled, going to happen to a 19yo KPP
Kennedy's eye poke looked deliberate, but he isn't a known grub so may have just been a bad look
It looked for all the world like our guys thought McGovern was playing for us, we just kept hitting him on the chest
Haynes was rusty, but damn he was good in patches
Overall I think we got beaten by a better team, hyped and playing in front of a hyped home crowd.
Unlike last week when we got 90% of the 50/50s, this week we got the 10%

Sounded like Greene won’t be ready next week. I reckon Taylor might have a rest too. So:
Haynes Davis Shaw
Williams Keeffe Kennedy
Kelly Tomlinson Whitfield
Lloyd Cameron DeBoer
Deledio HH Daniels
Simpson Cogs Taranto
Hopper Finlayson Lloyd Reid

Touch wood, but in three weeks it could be:
Haynes Davis Shaw
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Coniglio Kelly
Greene Cameron Deledio
Langdon HH Daniels
Simpson Hopper Ward
Taranto Tomlinson De Boer Perryman

Really the whole season rests on whether Greene and Kelly can get consistently on the park. Not going to beat sides like West Coast over there if they are watching from the sidelines.
Yet Greene and Kelly and ward have been in and we still have poor conversion. Maybe it isn't so much about who is in vs what they are told to do. Our 2016 team would have belted our 2019 team too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whitfield looked great yesterday. He’s going to have a good season.
Williams and Kennedy both played quite well too. Kennedy continues to improve. His kicking has gotten so much better.
I’m not reading too much into last night. There were about 3 goals from 50’s and ridiculous frees. They kicked straight... we didn’t. They were coming off a loss and had three players in milestone match.
The biggest takeaway for me was the way we play a team who has a good mark playing spare. Some of it is coaching (eg. We were too slow to make Gov accountable) and some of it is just experience (our forward line is still young).

Gotta say it was great seeing Haynes on McGovern. Love the way both players read the ball and the way they are so aggressive with their marking. There was a particular marking contest where they pretty much both marked the ball at the exact same time before it got pushed down to the ground. The WCE defensive system makes their defensive unit look more cohesive but individually whilst not as strong and bulky as Gov, honestly feel they are currently head to head the two best intercept markers along with a prime Lever. Barrass coming to his own as well. Cant see any team competing with the eagles in the air.

Pretty disappointed after the game last night but it was always going to be a big ask going to Perth and trying to win v the previous years premiers. Not many positives but 2 the team can take from it would be the form of Whitfield and the exposure of the 22 to Optus Stadium and what it takes to get close to a quality team
I dont think any of the injuries sound to serious but as with most things we will need to wait and see and until we see who played in the neafl trial some possible options may appear from that game
i will say that the 3 tall forwards does not work with this team IMO 2017 and 2018 was the same the players would always blaze away and just turnover the ball, and I think this is down to the lack of strong marking options in the forward 50 Cameron is better on the run 1 on 1, HH is still learning the game and I think he has the potential to be a strong marking option I dont think that will happen for a couple of years when he has filled out his frame and able to use his strength, Keefe is tall but I think he does not have the body movements to work over an opponent but I think he is an option down back in a limited way

one thing that stood out to me was the uncontested nature of the game last night with 40 v 33 tackles in the Eagles favour not sure of the reason for that but very low numbers and what the reason for it was

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back