Round 2 ... Who Do You Want v Who Do You Think You'll Get

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno. Is that reported anywhere?

Hawthorn CEO Justin Reeves says the club is mostly happy with their fixture for 2020, but have taken issue with having a home game at Marvel Stadium.

His team will host Carlton at Marvel Stadium on the Sunday of Round 5, alongside their MCG and UTAS Stadium games.

Reeves says they do not consider Docklands a home venue and have made this clear to the AFL.

Want: Melbourne - it will only be a few days after QB and it would be good to have the Fight MND game in the spotlight

Will Get: Richmond - would rather play them later in the season with both teams fully up and running to get a proper gauge

In the last decade we've played them at York Park twice, Marvel twice and the MCG 4 times. How the AFL comes up with that on a year to year basis is anyone's guess. In the same period we've played Melbourne once, Richmond once and Collingwood twice at Marvel, yet Carlton twice at the MCG. Because of all the Carlton games to move to the MCG and WC games in Melbourne to play there that one seems to tick a box. *shrug*

There's some rule about having to schedule 1 or 2 games at Docklands every year that were in the top 20 for Vic crowds the previous season.

Hence we played you at Docklands in 2015 after getting 53k against you at the G in 2014.

See also:

57k for Rich v Syd MCG 2017 = playing at Docklands 2018
66k for Coll v WB MCG 2017 = playing at Docklands 2018
50k for Coll v Nth MCG 2018 = playing at Docklands 2019

and many more.

It's a silly rule that should be abandoned now that the AFL own Docklands. It basically means if you do a good job and turn a 'standard' game at the G into one with a big crowd you are "rewarded' by not being allowed to have that game at the G again.

There's some rule about having to schedule 1 or 2 games at Docklands every year that were in the top 20 for Vic crowds the previous season.

Hence we played you at Docklands in 2015 after getting 53k against you at the G in 2014.

See also:

57k for Rich v Syd MCG 2017 = playing at Docklands 2018
66k for Coll v WB MCG 2017 = playing at Docklands 2018
50k for Coll v Nth MCG 2018 = playing at Docklands 2019

and many more.

It's a silly rule that should be abandoned now that the AFL own Docklands. It basically means if you do a good job and turn a 'standard' game at the G into one with a big crowd you are "rewarded' by not being allowed to have that game at the G again.
Stupid rule, especially you guys playing us in a "home" game at our ground. Not saying that would've made the difference as I think we won by a fair bit that night but it certainly didn't help.

Want - someone we’ll beat, if we win R2 we’ll end up with a year without a loss (last loss June 13 2019), which carries a the fattest of all asterisks but whatever, it sounds cool.

Will get - Collingwood. No great insight there. Also doesn’t help with my want above, I thought they would beat us in the original R2 if it happened as scheduled because they were far better in R1. Comes back a bit now due to the break but don’t have any real confidence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will get our grand old rivals Carlton and I say bring it on - and a likely Saturday Afternoon timeslot too.

You really think they'll stack up all the "big" clashes in the first round when there's no double ups in the fixture?

I do...would be a massive way to welcome our great game back.

No disrespect to the mighty Essendon Football Club but no campaigner cares about you and Carlton playing these days.

WANT:
GWS at any stadium

WILL GET:
Carlton (original fixture) or North (a matchup that turns the AFL on for some reason)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back