Review Round 20, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Consistent with previous, similar incidents. They should be punished more severely from round 1next year though.

You would really hope so.

There are soooo many weak as piss coward acts every week and faux-macho strutting and posturing.

I really want to see them come down hard on it and clean the game up.

Let's have a modicum of respect between the players

How many of those were chopped off by Majak because we were playing on North's terms? Pointing to inside 50s doesn't really tell the whole story, especially when the conversion rate is 58%-49%

For a while there I thought we were playing 'kick it to Majak' and winning.

His average contested marks is up there with the best. I’d assume his hitout to advantage average is pretty decent too.

Brisbane had 41 hit outs at 34% to advantage, with Martin 24 at 33% and Oscar 17 at 35%.
North had 36 at 33%, Goldstein 33 at 30% and Daw 3 at 33%.

Compare that to earlier this year where Brisbane had 38 at 45%, Martin 28 at 46% and Oscar 10 at 40%. North had 43 at 53%, with Goldstein 36 at 53% and Daw 7 at 57%.

Given we won the clearances 47 to 33, with centre clearances 21 to 11 with Oscar mostly in there, and stoppage clearances won 26 to 22. Compare that to earlier this year losing the clearances 42 to 35, with centre clearances lost 21 to 14, but stoppage clearances even 21 each.

The clearances stats don’t take into account how the mids were performing, but while we were scratching our heads a little early at Oscar taking most of the centre bounces it appears to have working. Well done to the coaching team.

Brisbane had 41 hit outs at 34% to advantage, with Martin 24 at 33% and Oscar 17 at 35%.
North had 36 at 33%, Goldstein 33 at 30% and Daw 3 at 33%.

Compare that to earlier this year where Brisbane had 38 at 45%, Martin 28 at 46% and Oscar 10 at 40%. North had 43 at 53%, with Goldstein 36 at 53% and Daw 7 at 57%.

Given we won the clearances 47 to 33, with centre clearances 21 to 11 with Oscar mostly in there, and stoppage clearances won 26 to 22. Compare that to earlier this year losing the clearances 42 to 35, with centre clearances lost 21 to 14, but stoppage clearances even 21 each.

The clearances stats don’t take into account how the mids were performing, but while we were scratching our heads a little early at Oscar taking most of the centre bounces it appears to have working. Well done to the coaching team.
I think l read or heard somewhere that we actually do a lot better with clearances when Oscar is rucking.

Watching McCluggage glide around the field is really quite something. I think he may well be the best of the lot. I feel bad for Rayner, having that miss...but he seems like a great kid. He's passionate about what he does, passionate about the club, and he seems the sort that will feed off that, and come back stronger. He may not be silky smooth like Hugh, but he's certainly an entertainer.

Josh Walker had just as many intercept possessions as Daw so you could say North did the same things as us.
All you're doing is consistently proving how floored looking purely at stats can be. Majak will get called out on Brownlow night for his effort in this game while Walker is in the conversation to be dropped. You're comparing a guy who was arguably BOG to a guy that was probably 16-20th for us.

All you're doing is consistently proving how floored looking purely at stats can be. Majak will get called out on Brownlow night for his effort in this game while Walker is in the conversation to be dropped. You're comparing a guy who was arguably BOG to a guy that was probably 16-20th for us.

You’re argument against using inside 50s to gauge how each team played was that we were kicking it straight to Daw, but they were doing to same from Walker so there’s no handicap to our figure. So you haven’t put forward any argument.

Gee whiz to think that a first yr player who made a big blue in a big moment got up in front of the group a couple of days later and spoke about what he learnt and how the whole group can learn from his mistake speaks volumes about his maturity and resilience. That miss will only be a speed bump and Cam will not shy away from demanding the ball in big moments.

He and the '16 draftees have improved us out of sight not only on-field but also our culture has improved because of them as well. I personally could never imagine youngsters taking this much ownership so early. Fagan and his inclusive style is ultimately to thank for this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee whiz to think that a first yr player who made a big blue in a big moment got up in front of the group a couple of days later and spoke about what he learnt and how the whole group can learn from his mistake speaks volumes about his maturity and resilience. That miss will only be a speed bump and Cam will not shy away from demanding the ball in big moments.

He and the '16 draftees have improved us out of sight not only on-field but also our culture has improved because of them as well. I personally could never imagine youngsters taking this much ownership so early. Fagan and his inclusive style is ultimately to thank for this.

Watching that just now has me PUMPED for Saturday night :) Just cannot fathom the strides we have made this season.

Yep - we will get a favourable draw next year including playing teams like saints twice, Gold Coast twice, Freo twice, bombers twice. Key is to win these eight games then 5-6 (Carlton, Collingwood, dogs, hawthorn, port Adelaide, north) more wins from remaining 14 then finals here we come.

Yep - we will get a favourable draw next year including playing teams like saints twice, Gold Coast twice, Freo twice, bombers twice. Key is to win these eight games then 5-6 (Carlton, Collingwood, dogs, hawthorn, port Adelaide, north) more wins from remaining 14 then finals here we come.
What makes you think that?

Back