Review Round 20, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Recall the days when we would talk about our 2008 "super draft" with the three R's. Now we left with just the one R and a B from 20008.

Mate there's forward Thinking then there's outright ridiculous predictions - no way known what the draft will be like in 18000 years.

I guess that didn't happen regularly enough, because we had 12 more turnovers than North

And 13 more inside 50s so we must have done pretty well winning it back for all the times we gave it to Daw

Recall the days when we would talk about our 2008 "super draft" with the three R's. Now we left with just the one R and a B from 20008.
541 games for us from that draft. Still a damn good draft. 2013 has 454 games so will probably overtake 2008 next year.

So we're back to my original point. Well done bringing this full circle

Josh Walker had just as many intercept possessions as Daw so you could say North did the same things as us.

541 games for us from that draft. Still a damn good draft. 2013 has 454 games so will probably overtake 2008 next year.

Yeah it was a great draft for us. Only thing we missed was an absolute star, but we had many good players.

The problem is that we got almost nothing from the draft between 2003-2008 and our good picks from 2010-11 left as soon as they could.

McInerney was all over Goldstein in the ruck early, take note people who think we need to recruit Preuss/Ivan Maric's cousin/whoever.

was listening to Tripple M pre game and Black said McInerney was going to do more rucking and particularly centre bounces against Goldstein as Martin has struggled against him in the past. Martin has struggled against the big rucks the last few years so great they've got confidence in McInerney to play that more significant role when the opposition requires it. Meanwhile 2 goals is a great effort. 13 goals from 14 games is a pretty handy effort for a first season resting ruckman.

was listening to Tripple M pre game and Black said McInerney was going to do more rucking and particularly centre bounces against Goldstein as Martin has struggled against him in the past. Martin has struggled against the big rucks the last few years so great they've got confidence in McInerney to play that more significant role when the opposition requires it. Meanwhile 2 goals is a great effort. 13 goals from 14 games is a pretty handy effort for a first season resting ruckman.

His average contested marks is up there with the best. I’d assume his hitout to advantage average is pretty decent too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

now if he could combine jumping & marking together he would be an unstoppable force! that mark over daw + the other tall was sublime (not sure if he even went onto his toes?)

If this happens again I'd rather they left Stef out and use Walker/McStay/Hipwood as the relief ruckman, Stef offers virtually zero up forward, bring in another mid to offer some run.

This is taken from penalty shootouts in soccer, but Rayner's miss made me think of it again.

Definitely think it would crossover to AFL.

great post (which included an article that the longer penalty takers hold the ball the more often they score). I had a drink and by the time I'd looked back he'd kicked it. I thought it was a failure of leadership by others more than a failure of Cam's own effort. I'm not sure who was with him in that contest maybe McStay and Berry but whoever gave him the ball back should have held it for 10 seconds, walked it back to him (instead of tossing it back to him) and said plenty of time, make it count to settle him down.

Unfortunately forward 50 is probably an area of the ground where we don't have that 100+ gamer floating around whose played in some big moments to do that role. Either way. he'll learn and the rest of the team will as well.

one thing I noticed in the first half was that we were very hesitant going in to tackle. When watching it live (on tv) I thought it almost looked like we were waiting for permission to tackle them and thought i was watching last years team (in that second quarter).

Different team in the second half in our attack on the footy up the ground and that showed with their goal scoring drying up and particularly the end of those fricken annoying cheap (mainly Jarrad Waite) goals at the back of the back running into an open goal. That was most on display in the last 10 minutes with the 3 big tackles Hipwood laid just outside the 50m arc of the left forward pocket. Propos to him for finding a way to impact the game when not much else was going for him.

Thought Berry was an absolute beacon in the storm in the second quarter. Brilliant - and to be honest an individual performance like that is what we've lacked in so many beatings in recent years. Someone that the coach can point to at half time and say 'if you all have a crack like Jarrod is we'll be back in this game'.

Very frustrating but again much prefer to be in the game than losing by 50 points. Fingers crossed for a bounce up the ladder next year.

I didn't watch much of first or third quarters so won't comment on who should be dropped but Fagan has tended to give players more than 1 game in the seniors so tend to think Basti and Starc will get another run. Only obvious in is Cutler. It could be Walker from a team balance perspective if Pies are short.

If this happens again I'd rather they left Stef out and use Walker/McStay/Hipwood as the relief ruckman, Stef offers virtually zero up forward, bring in another mid to offer some run.

No way do I want Hipwood/McStay in the centre square thank you, that's a recipe to get Hipwood injured particularly. Walker has never been great in that relief role either.

I think people just need to get used to the two ruck approach - while Big O started in the square this week I don't think he's ready to solo ruck and stef has had a good year although a quiet last fortnight. We have Grundy this week so need two rucks to counter him and then west coast in round 23 also play two rucks so we shouldn't change then either.

No way do I want Hipwood/McStay in the centre square thank you, that's a recipe to get Hipwood injured particularly. Walker has never been great in that relief role either.

I think people just need to get used to the two ruck approach - while Big O started in the square this week I don't think he's ready to solo ruck and stef has had a good year although a quiet last fortnight. We have Grundy this week so need two rucks to counter him and then west coast in round 23 also play two rucks so we shouldn't change then either.
Huh? Walker has actually performed quite well as a backup ruck. I remember when Stef went down and Walker had to ruck solo, he did really well.

Cunnington got a $2k fine for the cheap shot on Beams. Probably fair

Huh? Walker has actually performed quite well as a backup ruck. I remember when Stef went down and Walker had to ruck solo, he did really well.

Sure, that was the game against the suns in 2016 where stef got laid out and he had 21 hitouts in that. That's also the only game he's played for us where he got over 9 hitouts according to footywire. To be fair, he hasn't been relief rucking in a lot of those games and we probably had stef in the middle more than we do at present.

Regardless my point is that the two ruck strategy is working pretty well and is likely to continue with our games coming up. The fact that stef didn't start in the middle last week and played slightly more forward than he has normally is not a reason to overreact and drop him - Big O does not have the tank to get around the ground like Stef.

When I was at the game one thing that struck me was how our backline will improve simply with more experience. We do have a lot of players who we are trying to teach a new position on the run. Namely:
Rich
Walker
Robbo
If you add up the number of afl games these three and witho have played as defenders I think there is still massive upside just through more experience as defenders.

Probably lucky.

Coward punch to the kidneys and gets off with slap on the wrist.

DO.NOT.LIKE:thumbsdown:

Consistent with previous, similar incidents. They should be punished more severely from round 1next year though.

Back