Preview Round 20, 2018 - Brisbane vs. North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still reckon Keays can be that depth player that will be around that 18-25th range. We also have Allison that was through the Academy that l reckon will be a success. Connor Ballenden also came through the Academy.

Harris and Hippy are pretty massive successes. Getting two possible star players in the last 4 drafts out of the Academy is a pretty excellent strike rate imo.

Just worried about our Academy strike right , if Dawson, Smith and Keays were delisted this year after Freeman and Hammer last year. This would leave Hipwood and Andrews as the only successes of the program (so far). The Academy is supposed to develop Qld talent and depth to combat the go home issue that destroyed the club , are we developing them right ?
Excluding 2017, in the previous 5 years, we have drafted 47* players. 24 remain on the list. 9 drafted, were through the academy, and **4 remain, so the strike rate (for those retained) is similar for total v academy. That's good. The logic or strategy to get first pick of the QLD boys is solid. The academy process can't be expected to just churn out champions, any more than any other system in the country, just give us first shot at getting locals.

* One or 2 would have already been at the club, and re-drafted.
**Noting Allison is still on contract from 2016, but has also re-signed.

I have never rated Dawson particularly. Wouldn’t but upset either way if he is retained or delisted next year. One would assume the latter.

Really happy to see Basti in. Despite being somewhat of a whipping boy, his form and goal kicking towards the end of last year were really valuable.

problem I see in the NEAFL no one apart from Bastinac and been banging the door down in a lower comp. Players have had good games not weeks. Claye Beams be the next best. Walker did and got a game same as Barrett.. Barrett gone back as Keays did earlier in the year after a few games. Walker had a bad week last week hope only a hiccup.
The young kids still developing. Skinner needs a half a season or more after injuries.
It is the players who been here a few years that seem to have gone stale. Maybe they know their cards are marked with young high draft picks coming in.
I said a few times a number of players like Mayes, Bewick, Papps, Dawson, Keays add Frost also Bell all can play well in bursts.. not for full games or a run of games or they get injured too much. Mayes is the sad one I thought he turned the corner last year.

problem I see in the NEAFL no one apart from Bastinac and been banging the door down in a lower comp. Players have had good games not weeks. Claye Beams be the next best. Walker did and got a game same as Barrett.. Barrett gone back as Keays did earlier in the year after a few games. Walker had a bad week last week hope only a hiccup.
The young kids still developing. Skinner needs a half a season or more after injuries.
It is the players who been here a few years that seem to have gone stale. Maybe they know their cards are marked with young high draft picks coming in.
I said a few times a number of players like Mayes, Bewick, Papps, Dawson, Keays add Frost also Bell all can play well in bursts.. not for full games or a run of games or they get injured too much. Mayes is the sad one I thought he turned the corner last year.

Sam Mayes just needs to find his mojo again. You don't go from top 5 BnF to struggling in the NEAFL in one off season.

I'd love to see him get the last 3 games of the year (even if he is gifted them) just to actually have a close look at him.

Sam Mayes just needs to find his mojo again. You don't go from top 5 BnF to struggling in the NEAFL in one off season.

I'd love to see him get the last 3 games of the year (even if he is gifted them) just to actually have a close look at him.
Are Sam Mayes and Ryan Bastinac the only ones to go backwards under Chris Fagan?

Are Sam Mayes and Ryan Bastinac the only ones to go backwards under Chris Fagan?

Yeah, I reckon. Can't think of any others. Maybe Paps, but he never really reached any great heights anyway.

Another thing I was thinking about yesterday was (and a bit off topic).. Has there been any off field incidents under Fagan? anything that has required someone disciplined? any bad news stories?

I couldn't think of any, it's remarkable. we were running at about 1 a week there for 4-5 years.

Yeah, I reckon. Can't think of any others. Maybe Paps, but he never really reached any great heights anyway.

Another thing I was thinking about yesterday was (and a bit off topic).. Has there been any off field incidents under Fagan? anything that has required someone disciplined? any bad news stories?

I couldn't think of any, it's remarkable. we were running at about 1 a week there for 4-5 years.
I can't imagine sweet old Fages grabbing anyone by the throat and hurling them up against a wall, he might do another hammy.

Interesting actually, back when Leppa was in charge, it seemed like every off-field indescretion seemed to have been leaked to the media. Hasn't been any since Fages has been in charge so maybe the player or staff member has been delisted/fired?

Still reckon Keays can be that depth player that will be around that 18-25th range. We also have Allison that was through the Academy that l reckon will be a success. Connor Ballenden also came through the Academy.

I remember when people on here were touting Keays as a potential #1 draft pick. Still makes me giggle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And he did that well in those games he played. Always bobbing up, taking a few marks, nabbing goals. Had a good run of being quite the dead-eye d*ck in front of goals there for awhile
Was our only decent delivery into 50 for a while too

Us playing at the GABBA and our form there would have a lot to do with it l reckon
Not sure how some warm weather and two wins at home, one against the bottom side, gets us favouritism over a side that has just beaten the Eagles and has 10 wins to our four. We are a chance but no way we are favourites.

Not sure how some warm weather and two wins at home, one against the bottom side, gets us favouritism over a side that has just beaten the Eagles and has 10 wins to our four. We are a chance but no way we are favourites.
It was more because we are super competitive at home and have missed quite a few games by only a handful of points. Shouldn't be favourites, but I would have it fairly close, especially looking at the experience thread.

Interesting actually, back when Leppa was in charge, it seemed like every off-field indescretion seemed to have been leaked to the media. Hasn't been any since Fages has been in charge so maybe the player or staff member has been delisted/fired?
So you’re suggesting it’s still happening but the whistleblower is gone?

/sarcasm face

Seems bizarre that the betting agency's have us as favourites.

Am I missing something
North were slight faves earlier in the week but with Higgins out they did the switcheroo.Was adjusted pretty much immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back