Preview Round 20, 2018: Richmond v Geelong MCG 7.50pm Fri 3rd Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You never want to drop games on purpose, playing around with form is a dicey proposition, especially at this point in the season.

Why give a possible competitor come September even the slightest inkling that we are beatable, in saying that if they can't beat us given their form and our outs they will never beat us

Was thinking that as well but now reckon we'll come out and smash them to make a statement. Our structure is so good and doesn't rely on individuals.

who gives a toss if we lose infact we’re almost wanting to drop a game here

Not our fault we're on a mother of a streak campaigners couldn't beat us when we were in 1st and 2nd gear most of the year. 4 weeks out from finals time to shift up again. Not fussed if we lose tonight either tho just wanna get on the cans :drunk:

Actually would be epic if we lose next week against Suns instead :D

Their full forward hasn't kicked 14 goals in 2 weeks or anything and their midfield is doing well winning clearances a point we severely lack in.

With Broad out our back 6 won't play as well and if they are winning a lot of clearances we will need to be at our best.
And if our forwards and backs get on top, they will need to be at their best. Clearances are over rated, we lose them every week and are on top.

Works in our favour. We should do a rain dance every time we play the cats

Cats don't like the wet. Tigers on the other hand like nothing more than just soaking in the stuff..;)

I saw some commentary about how Rance doesn't play on the best forward. Especially Geelong nuffies who forget that it's hard to play on someone when you are getting tagged as a FB.....

The thing is though he plays as the deepest defender always so whos fault is it if teams are too scared to play their best forward in deep because they want to get away from Rance.

He plays on Buddy always , he did the job on Ben Brown earlier this season.

Play Hawkins out of the goal square and watch Rance towel him up

I saw some commentary about how Rance doesn't play on the best forward. Especially Geelong nuffies who forget that it's hard to play on someone when you are getting tagged as a FB.....

The thing is though he plays as the deepest defender always so whos fault is it if teams are too scared to play their best forward in deep because they want to get away from Rance.

He plays on Buddy always , he did the job on Ben Brown earlier this season.

Play Hawkins out of the goal square and watch Rance towel him up

Im not so sure on the last bit.

Don't forget that Josh Jenkins has got hold of him twice after being isolated deep. Rance can often struggle in pure 1 v 1 contests when wrestling. On the lead he is ok though. he is much more comfortable zoning off.

I'd rather see Astbury on Hawkins when he is playing deep.

The real trick to stopping Hawkins though is making sure we are putting enough pressure on their midfield that he doesn't get silver platter service. they have some genuine guns in there so we can't afford to have them strolling out of contests and hitting him up.

Don't forget that Josh Jenkins has got hold of him twice after being isolated deep. Rance can often struggle in pure 1 v 1 contests when wrestling. On the lead he is ok though. he is much more comfortable zoning off.

The real trick to stopping Hawkins though is making sure we are putting enough pressure on their midfield that he doesn't get silver platter service. they have some genuine guns in there so we can't afford to have them strolling out of contests and hitting him up.

Everyone had a mare in the early defeat in Adelaide but the game at the g Jenkins goals were all cheapies out the back or dodgy freekicks

Well win by 5 goals

Cats are only in the race for finals because loldees are pea hearts.

their last month has been

smashed an over performing lions (a team we restricted to what 3 goals)
kissed on the d*(k result against loldees
lost to a cooked adelaide (a week after we ended their season)
and beat sydney at the SCG (where sydneys finals hopes go to die)

Sure hawkins has kicked 14 in 2 weeks, and if we let him do that well lose, but any time a full forward kicks a bag like that its an indictment on the entire back line and i cant see ours letting him get off the chain barring big dave getting injured.

Lloyd to kick 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not overly confident , in fact i suspect they could win comfortably..
that midfield really worries me and i also think their team is better suited to the mcg than it used to be...

We've got top 2 and a home final sewn up, stress less lads. A loss here is far from the end of the world.

I'm heading to the G tonight without stress or fear of a loss.

Hawkins, Lynch, Dixon, Brown etc are all over 2 inches taller and at minimum 10kgs heavier than Rance. Rance can be said to punch above his "weight", he would be ther most versatile backman you can get, plays tall and short. Players like him and Hurley should be respected for their years dominating in the backline where they can play the role that suits their team.
Any giant forwards fed the ball constantly will have the occasional day out...
The constant counter attack, cut off and mere presence by Rance is unique in a defender, he is the go go gadget guy.
PS
Cudos to all our defenders, compliment each other nicely...

Now as of tonight, Geelong will take this game as their momentum towards getting ready for finals. It will be a tough game, as tough as they come. Coming up against the premiers, team that knocked them off last year and the team to beat this year, you would think they would throw the kitchen sink at us...
We need to win this one and I don't care if we're drop a lesser game later... it's this one I want for us to make a statement...

Go Tigs

Hawkins, Lynch, Dixon, Brown etc are all over 2 inches taller and at minimum 10kgs heavier than Rance. Rance can be said to punch above his "weight", he would be ther most versatile backman you can get, plays tall and short. Players like him and Hurley should be respected for their years dominating in the backline where they can play the role that suits their team.
Any giant forwards fed the ball constantly will have the occasional day out...
The constant counter attack, cut off and mere presence by Rance is unique in a defender, he is the go go gadget guy.
PS
Cudos to all our defenders, compliment each other nicely...

Now as of tonight, Geelong will take this game as their momentum towards getting ready for finals. It will be a tough game, as tough as they come. Coming up against the premiers, team that knocked them off last year and the team to beat this year, you would think they would throw the kitchen sink at us...
We need to win this one and I don't care if we're drop a lesser game later... it's this one I want for us to make a statement...

Go Tigs

I think thats the best thing about our backline, is our defence isn't defined by 1 player. their work as a group is exceptional.

I find it staggering that we don't conceed more goals given how badly we lose clearances. Our defenders are under the pump a lot during games, but their ability to stand up under pressure is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back