Preview Round 20, 2018: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs - Etihad Stadium, Saturday 4th August, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 69 81.2%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 16 18.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs
In: Freeman Clark Paton

Out: Weller Gilbert Dunstan

B: McKenzie Brown Geary
HB: Savage Carlisle Coffield
Ruck: Hickey Steven Gresham
C: Billings Steele Acres
HF: Clark Battle Newnes
F: Lonie Marshall Membrey
Bench: Freeman Ross Sinclair Paton

Q6wbAMN.png

Previous Meetings:
Round 10, 2017 - Western Bulldogs (13.12.90) defeated St.Kilda (7.8.50)
Round 18, 2016 - Western Bulldogs (9.6.60) lost to St.Kilda (11.9.75)
Round 2, 2016 - St.Kilda (5.6.36) lost to Western Bulldogs (13.15.93)

Preview

St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs

765414_thumb.jpg

After a disappointing loss to Richmond last Friday night the Saints took the trip up to Sydney to face the Giants at Spotless Stadium. In a match marred by inaccurate kicking and generally sloppy play, the Saints never found a rhythm and lost in the end by 25 points.

A day later it was the Dogs facing the Power in Ballarat. Scoring was also an issue for the Bulldogs who managed just 5 goals from 9 scoring shots for the game and lost by 44 points with the Power running away with the victory after half time. This loss has mathematically eliminated the Bulldogs from finals contention for 2018.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Jarryn Geary, Jake Carlisle, Nick Coffield
HB: Daniel McKenzie, Nathan Brown, Sam Gilbert
C: Jack Billings, Jack Steele, Jack Sinclair
HF: Josh Battle, Tim Membrey, Jack Newnes
F: Jade Gresham, Rowan Marshall, Maverick Weller
Foll: Tom Hickey, Sebastian Ross, Jack Steven
I/C: Shane Savage, Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Jack Lonie

Western Bulldogs Best 22
B:
Marcus Adams, Jackson Trengove, Fletcher Roberts
HB: Dale Morris, Zaine Cordy, Jason Johannisen
C: Hayden Crozier, Jack Macrae, Patrick Lipinski
HF: Ed Richards, Josh Schache, Josh Dunkley
F: Lachie Hunter, Marcus Bontempelli, Aaron Naughton
Foll: Jordan Roughead, Mitch Honeychurch, Mitch Wallis
I/C: Toby McLean, Fergus Greene, Caleb Daniel, Brad Lynch

Medical Room

615430_gl.jpg

The Saints looked to have come through unscathed.

As for the Bulldogs, big man Jordan Roughead received a cut to the head but was bandaged up and sent back into the action.

Preview

514903-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

St.Kilda's sloppy play reared it's ugly head once again on Saturday afternoon. Superb effort and intent marred by inaccurate kicking for goal and in general field play. After matching it with GWS for a half the Saints fell away in the third quarter and ultimately lost the game by 25 points.

Although it was a disappointing afternoon for the Saints, young star Jade Gresham continues to push his case for All-Australian selection after his 25 disposal, 5 mark & 2 goal performance earning him best on ground honours for the Saints.

Others who stood up included midfielders Jack Steele (24 disposals, 5 tackles - held Callan Ward to 11 disposals through 3 quarters), Jack Steven (27 touches, 5 tackles, 1 goal) & forward Tim Membrey (15 disposals, 10 marks, 2 goals)

On Sunday afternoon the Bulldogs arrived in Ballarat to take on the Power.

In what was a low scoring affair through the first half the Bulldogs held with the Power well, only trailing by 4 points at the main break. However it was the second half which will frustrate Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge - the Dogs kicking 1 goal after half time as the Power kicked away to record a comfortable 44 point win.

It has been a forgettable year for the 2016 premiers, with the Dogs suffering losses to GWS, West Coast (twice), Sydney, Fremantle, Adelaide, Collingwood, Melbourne (twice), Port Adelaide (twice), North Melbourne and Hawthorn. They have beaten Essendon, Carlton, Gold Coast, Brisbane & Geelong in what was their best win of the year - however it leaves them sitting adrift in 14th place with plenty of work to do.

Potential changes

jimmyweb-620.jpg

Dashing half back flanker Jimmy Webster looks set to return from injury on Saturday night and will be a much needed inclusion for Alan Richardson's men. Jimmy is having a breakout season for the Saints this year.

Others who could come into the side to face the Bulldogs are David Armitage, Ed Phillips, and perhaps a debut for Nathan Freeman - who we have been harping on about for quite some time and his 35 disposal, 13 mark game in the VFL on Saturday against Box Hill does his chances of selection no harm at all.

Key Match-Ups

jack-macrae-is-seemingly-out-of-the-brownlow-race-1529020932_656x450.jpg

Macrae vs Steele
In a disappointing year for the Dogs, midfielder Jack Macrae is having a breakout season in the Red, White and Blue. Saints midfielder Jack Steele has taken a tagging role in the St.Kilda side as of late, and has had match ups with the likes of Dustin Martin and Patrick Cripps over the past fortnight. Look for Steele to head to Macrae in what will be a pivotal match up.

Forwards
Both St.Kilda and the Western Bulldogs have been very low scoring teams this year, with both forward lines seeming to have trouble generating any kind of scoreboard pressure throughout the year. Whichever forward line can function better on Saturday night will go a long way to determining the outcome of the game.

Tip

523361-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

With both sides chances of finals mathematically finished, nothing but pride is on the line on Saturday night. I think that in all honesty we should be winning this game based on recent form. We have been sloppy but if we clean it up we should account for the Dogs who will be a tough opponent but in the end I think not good enough. I think it may be a close one.

Saints by 7 points.

Thoughts?

I really like it but I wonder if Webster will be back?

Looks good on my phone screen...

Think we'll win by 3-4 goals. The form of the dogs has been understated, they're deplorable. They've scored over 75 points once since Round 9. Carlisle should have a field day but on paper this is one bloody ugly match. I feel sorry for them. Not as much as I might if they hadn't won a flag a couple of years ago but they're having a worse season than us, and knowing how s**t it feels being a St Kilda supporter this year, it's not great for anyone.

Hoping for a Gresh/JB masterclass here. They play Carlton in a few weeks so even if we win, they should still finish above us so we get that top 4 pick.

In - Freeman, Goddard, Webster, Armitage
Out - Weller, Marshall, Gilbert, Dunstan (needs a spell)

B: Geary - Brown - Goddard
HB: McKenzie - Carlisle - Webster
C: Acres - Steele - Sinclair
HF: Newnes - Membrey - Billings
F: Gresham - Battle - Lonie
R: Hickey - Steven - Ross

I/C: Freeman - Coffield - Armitage - Savage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beveridge had an absolute field day in this game last year, strangled us. No real answers as usual.

Would be disappointed if this was similar, we should be at least taking it right up to them.
Stringer got a hold of us big time last year, so at least we don't have to worry about for another week.

If we can go into half time with a lead, we should be fine. Dogs are a first half team, where we tend to start terribly and then catch up as the game goes.

Think we'll win easily!....With so many players playing for their careers...
Watch our blokes step up now that the season is lost!

Attending my first match of the year against GWS and it was the same old, same old. Our coaching staff leaving Gears as the loose man?? I’m a big fan of what Jarryn brings to the team however that role does not suit him whatsoever.. he’s not a good user of the footy and whilst not bad his intercept marking isn’t anything special so why have him going 3rd man up in defensive contests and rebounding from the backline? Absolute dream for the Giants coaching staff. Their ‘quarterback’ was Whitfield, ours Geary.. says a lot really.

I’d be trying something new this week. Hard to say what without being internally involved with the club however some things I’d like to see would include Seb Ross playing a more uncontested brand across halfback. He was potted for his kicking last week but a lot of those mistakes were under pressure and I do think he could adapt to a rebounding role. Despite not being renowned for his defensive attributes I have seen him win a few crucial 1 on 1s in the B50 this season, so shouldn’t be any worse then Savage in that respect.

I don't know...I just don't know. The guys who rack up the numbers have no skills, and the guys with skill are unable to get the damn ball. Gresh is great and all, but he is all we've got, with the respectful exceptions of Webster, Carlisle, Steven, and Membrey...the rest of the team are gormless hacks. I think we'd be better playing a ten man team rather than the 18 we HAVE to play. Endeavour and Intent are great words, but it is not enough for a footy club to hang its coats on. It should be a staple of ANY team. People talk about our game against Richmond as our wake up call...and an indicator as to where we are as a club. Personally I see this game against the dogs as a better indicator. We know we aren't good...but do we know how bad we are??

Looking at the stats for the WB game against Port there are some pretty incredible numbers there for a team that got spanked.

Contested possessions:
21 Macrae
18 Trengove
17 Dunkley
13 Bont, Wallis, Naughton
11: McLean
10: Hunter

Disposals:
36: Macrae
35: Hunter

and yet they kicked a paltry 34 points, from just 9 scoring shots, and scored less than half what Port managed!

Think we'll win by 3-4 goals. The form of the dogs has been understated, they're deplorable. They've scored over 75 points once since Round 9. Carlisle should have a field day but on paper this is one bloody ugly match. I feel sorry for them. Not as much as I might if they hadn't won a flag a couple of years ago but they're having a worse season than us, and knowing how s**t it feels being a St Kilda supporter this year, it's not great for anyone.

Hoping for a Gresh/JB masterclass here. They play Carlton in a few weeks so even if we win, they should still finish above us so we get that top 4 pick.

In - Freeman, Goddard, Webster, Armitage
Out - Weller, Marshall, Gilbert, Dunstan (needs a spell)

B: Geary - Brown - Goddard
HB: McKenzie - Carlisle - Webster
C: Acres - Steele - Sinclair
HF: Newnes - Membrey - Billings
F: Gresham - Battle - Lonie
R: Hickey - Steven - Ross

I/C: Freeman - Coffield - Armitage - Savage

They lucksacked a flag out of the blue when we spent years as top team for no reward. Stuff em :p

Alright, year is doneski and I think Richo prob feels like he is secure for next year at this stage too.

For effs sake can we see Paton, Freeman (If fit), maybs even goddard before the year ends please, just give them a taste, play them 60% gametime like you do to dunstan or something

Also while we are at it, play Long, Rice, White, Phillips for every game and just see how they go, Geel play youngsters before they are ready, sydney too and look how that works out for them

Doing the above will prob even see a bigger crowd there this Sat, as it looks like it will be a tiny crowd after dogs display yesty and our year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back