Autopsy Round 20, 2018: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs *NATHAN FREEMAN'S DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was an opposition coach I'd be licking my lips at Geary loose man rebounding defender.
Guess everyone's happy though seeing Jimmy Webster at bottom of pack feeding ball out to Gears for pinpoint turnover.

So many out of position I can't believe what I've been seeing.

Nailed it mate.

There number one sign we are being outcoached is when Geary is playing as our loose man in defence. I know there are extenuating circumstances, but look at the difference between Carlise as our spare in Q1, and Geary. Basically the higher Geary's disposal count, the worse we are travelling in the game.

As you point out though, this situation is a reflection of what our coaching staff values. Richo's mantra is pressure and effort. He values players like Geary and McKenzie who embody this. Rice and White (two of the best three kicks at the club) have spent most of the year at Sandy. Their skill in the backline is not what is valued.

Parking Robbo for a second, what we get most weeks is some variation of:

Geary, Brown, Gilbo,
McKenzie, Carlisle, Sav

Some supporters (and our coaches) love this because it brings effort. It also means we are very unlikely to hit the side of a semi-trailer from 5 metres away. The ball will either be bombed 50 metres down the line to a 1 on 3 (Sav, Geary), or chipped 5 metres over the head of a target 20 metres away (Gilbo, McKenzie, Brown).

Maybe we wouldn't have to chase / contest / pressure as much if we could hit a target on the rebound and actually transition the ball out of our own backline:

Webster, Austin, Rice
White, Carlisle, Coffield

But while we have a gameplan that prioritises what we do without the ball (option 1) over what can do with the ball (option 2) we are going to cop the same sh*t every damn week.

Its why I agree with Perse and would hold fire on trading any of our kids / high picks until we see what a different structure (and more importantly better selection) can do.
Agree 100% also worth noting that even with that stodgy unskilled effort-based backline we conceded 29 shots on goal from 54 entries... so... ITS NOT WORKING!

Where the * is white, I'm sick of richos boys.

Hip flexor. Might be ok this week but more likely they won't rush him as it can lead to knee problems.

White was dropped after playing some pretty good footy.
Geary and Gilbert stayed in.
Rice also dropped. 2 best kicks in the backline gone.
Fxxking ridiculous.
Now we have Armo on the HBF and Seb on the HBF.
Richo is a clown.

Probably been discussed but I'm not reading through 20 pages of whinging to find it - can anyone explain why we went in with Hickey our sole ruck option?
You never bet on getting an injury, but the first thought for me is always 'if he gets hurt, what do we do?' and sure enough, he gets hurt. Losing Battle early and Hickey not long after that, while we looked relatively competent in the first quarter, we seemed to lose all direction after that. I feel like if Marshall had held his spot, which I think he rightfully should have, we would not have been so disadvantaged.

Hickey was actually having a good game too, was getting involved and had a few good touches.

Very happy for Freeman, looked comfortable out there and look forward to seeing more of him.

Probably been discussed but I'm not reading through 20 pages of whinging to find it - can anyone explain why we went in with Hickey our sole ruck option?
You never bet on getting an injury, but the first thought for me is always 'if he gets hurt, what do we do?' and sure enough, he gets hurt. Losing Battle early and Hickey not long after that, while we looked relatively competent in the first quarter, we seemed to lose all direction after that. I feel like if Marshall had held his spot, which I think he rightfully should have, we would not have been so disadvantaged.

Hickey was actually having a good game too, was getting involved and had a few good touches.

Very happy for Freeman, looked comfortable out there and look forward to seeing more of him.

Crazy talk.
We had Acres. He's a recognised ruckman

He can be good but FMD he’s so frustrating & goes to ground so ******* easily. Does my head in
Goes to ground to avoid contact. When hes on the ground were 1 short at the contest making him a liability. Font get me started on how many times his piss poor goalkicking gas ****ed the whole teams hard work. * him off hez s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the day after a huge disappointing loss with pea hearts on display and despair all round.....

Thank God there is still Caaarlton! Cream of the s**t
To save time Carlton supporters could copy/paste most of your post into their autopsy thread. Only need to change one detail
So the day after a huge disappointing loss with pea hearts on display and despair all round.....

Thank God there is still Gold Coast! Cream of the s**t

I pity Blake Acres. Could’ve been something special but he’s been mucked around for 5 years, played in every position except on ball where he can do things none of our other players can do, bar Gresh. ******* atrocious coaching.
The guy can barely take a mark at the moment. Doesn't matter where he plays if he cant execute a basic skill.

I've had some experience with lip reading so allow me.

I'm getting:

"Pleasing. Oops, I meant not pleasing.
Strong at the contest. Oops, I meant not strong at the contest.
Battle injury hurt us. May have hurt him.
Hickey failed to run out the game on one leg but he will learn from that. He needs to be strong in the one legged contest.
Um.
Weller, Weller, Weller huh?
Tell me more.
Number 47 your meal is ready.
Blah, blah, blah.
Yada, yada, yada.
I am the egg man.
They are the egg men.
I am the walrus.
Goo goo g'joob..."

Look I like Alan as a bloke , but whoever thinks this helps is clueless.

The monotony of the same language week in week out nauseating.

Dissagree he’s taken two good contested marks in the last two weeks and a couple good marks yesterday he’ll get better with his one on one marking
Fumbled everything yesterday and epitomised a space cadet. I know he has come back from injury, but the amount of excuses for Acres are ridiculous. He has been underwhelming because his effort is low and his skills are average, not because of where he is playing.

Just so flat this morning.
I'm still feeling very flat.....lucky I went to an X-mas in August do...….a couple of Reds took the mind off things but when walking back to the car.....it all comes back.

Was keeping on eye on the GWS score during the arvo and when I saw the final score(normally that would give me a huge buzz)…...couldn't give a rats!

DUNSTAN IS s**t...are any of you finally going to agree? I have called it months ago maybe even a year or so.

INS: Ben Paton, Darren Minchington, Hugh Goddard, Ed Phillips, Rowan Marshall, Sam Gilbert and Mav Weller.

OUTS: DUNSTAN, Lonie, Coffield, Clark, McKenzie, Battle (INJ) & Hickey (INJ)
Is that you Richo?!

Can we please stop this s*** about poor Blake being played in the ruck. He was only there yesterday because Hickey and Battle were injured and then options after that were either Carlisle (end of backline) or him. FFS Shaun Grigg has played ruck off and on for two seasons and is about to collect his second premiership. Poor Shaun!!!

As for the selections on Thursday - isn't that everyone has been saying - go small follow the Richmond model - we did and unfortunately the thing that would destroy Richmond in the finals (Nankervis getting injured) happened to us last night and because we lack midfield leadership we got torched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back