Game Day Round 20, 2019: Adelaide v St.Kilda *DUNSTAN'S 100TH*

Status
Not open for further replies.
SWxEFcI.png

Preview
Adelaide v St.Kilda

685016_thumb.jpg

St.Kilda's hot run of form continues, dispatching of Melbourne by 19 points on Saturday night to notch their eighth win of the year and second consecutive under caretaker coach Brett Ratten. It was the Saints second time in as many games that they have scored over one hundred points - something they failed to accomplish in the previous 22 games.

As for Adelaide, their finals hopes are fading as every week passes - this time a 27 point loss to the improved Carlton at the MCG last Saturday afternoon. Adelaide fall to an even 9-9 record after 18 games.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Nick Coffield, Nathan Brown, Ben Paton
HB: Callum Wilkie, Jake Carlisle, Hunter Clark
C: Jack Billings, Sebastian Ross, Jack Newnes
HF: Nick Hind, Josh Bruce, Jack Steele
F: Jack Lonie, Tim Membrey, Luke Dunstan
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Blake Acres, Jade Gresham
I/C: Shane Savage, Ben Long, Jack Sinclair, Doulton Langlands

Adelaide Best 22
B:
Luke Brown, Daniel Talia, Kyle Hartigan
HB: Brodie Smith, Jake Kelly, Rory Laird
C: Rory Atkins, Rory Sloane, Andy Otten
HF: Brad Crouch, Taylor Walker, Tom Lynch
F: Lachlan Murphy, Josh Jenkins, Tyson Stengle
Foll: Reilly O'Brien, Matt Crouch, Paul Seedsman
I/C: Riley Knight, David Mackay, Wayne Milera, Patrick Wilson

Medical Room

699706_gl.jpg

St Kilda's Blake Acres went down to the rooms early in the match but returned to the field. He was again hurt in the final term, seemingly with a right shoulder issue, but came back on to play out the clash.

The Crows were able to walk away from the game with a relatively clean bill of health.

Preview

668702-tlslargelandscape.jpg

After 17 rounds the Saints had been written off by many - sitting 6-10 after a loss in Geelong and Alan Richardson stepping down. However since that time, interim coach Brett Ratten has instilled newfound belief in the playing group and the Saints have clawed their way back to an 8-10 record, making this Saturday night's game against Adelaide imperative on their finals chances this year. St.Kilda wouldn't be in this position however without the impressive display they showed last Saturday night, beating Melbourne by 19 points and continuing to turn their form around.

It's funny how optimistic supporters can be after a win, and as such there were many positive signs to come out of last weekend's game. Most notably was the performance of Seb Ross who was back to his all-time best with 31 disposals, 7 marks, 9 tackles and two goals to be adjudged the Saints best on the night.

Other notable performances included Jade Gresham (32 disposals, 5 marks), Jack Steele (22 touches, 5 marks, 12 tackles), Hunter Clark (23 disposals, 3 marks, 6 tackles) and key forward Josh Bruce (10 possessions, 5 marks, 4 goals).

One word to describe Adelaide's season in a nutshell has been: inconsistent. After many had high hopes for the Crows in 2019, they have stumbled their way to an even 9-9 record, having beaten Sydney, Gold Coast (twice), St.Kilda, Fremantle, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, GWS and Richmond, however they have lost just as many - against Hawthorn, Geelong (twice), North Melbourne, Brisbane, West Coast, Port Adelaide, Essendon & Carlton. Having only beaten one top four side all season, Adelaide's 8th placing after 19 rounds seems reasonable. They will be looking to make amends for their disappointing result against Carlton last week at the MCG, going down by 27 points.

In what was a bitterly disappointing day for the Crows, positives were hard to come by. Reilly O'Brien was voted as the best Crow on the day, amassing 20 disposals and 8 marks to go along with 32 hit-outs.

Others who stood up in the loss were Rory Sloane who continues his B&F winning form line with 26 touches, 5 marks and 8 tackles. Adelaide's skipper Taylor Walker finished with three goals from 11 touches, and Brad Crouch continued his stellar year with 30 possessions and a goal.

Potential changes

685140-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Josh Battle looks set to return to the senior side after injury.

Other potential changes could be Jimmy Webster who will need to train on Thursday to be eligible for selection.

Key Match-Ups

699155_gl.jpg

Rory Sloane
Sloane's form has continued in 2019 and has been one of the Crows shining lights in a somewhat disappointing season. St.Kilda's Jack Steele may get the run-with role here, and will need to limit Sloane's impact on the game if the Saints are going to be any chance.

Reilly O'Brien
One of the more fascinating match-ups of Saturday night, in-form Crows ruckman Reilly O'Brien will be up against one of the best young ruckmen in the competition in Rowan Marshall. Both can win their own ball, and after O'Brien's 32 hit-out, 20 disposal game against the Blues last weekend, it will take Marshall and the Saints midfield's best effort to slow O'Brien down.

Tip

699979_gl.jpg

Definitely some bias here. St.Kilda have not beaten Adelaide in Adelaide since 2009, and never at the Adelaide oval. St.Kilda's last win over Adelaide was in 2011 so there are a fair few records to be broken if St.Kilda manages to come away with a win on Saturday night. Both teams are in the mix for a final eight spot, and with the Crows form falling by the wayside, I have a sneaking suspicion St.Kilda will be primed to win their ninth game of the year and remain in the hunt for the finals.

Saints by 2 points.

Thoughts?

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m excited for this one. Adelaide in Adelaide is one of our biggest challenges and we usually roll over, even with our better sides. In that sense, we don’t have much to lose, so I hope we go for their throats. We’ve shown way too much respect in the past.
I think we will win this, provided that gastro hasn’t spread to other players.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
A summary of the sickness from anyone in the know? If it was isolated to the two blokes who are out, we can get past that. If we're fielding a few more half-crook players, we're dead as disco.

The gameplan will include the psych-out technique of ‘shitting themselves’ while Crows players are running in for a set shot goal.

The players will be like a group of monkeys slinging poo at the oppo.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
If life was perfect we’d beat them by 120 points. Adelaide would sack their coach, would appoint Teague and Carlton are left twiddling their thumbs forcing them to appoint an unknown coach who is no good and ruins them for another 10 years. Talk about a Sliding Doors moment!!

I think this is a tough game..We don’t travel well at the best of times and Adelaide seems to find another gear whenever it involves the Saints.
I won’t be ECOing if we lose but it will hurt.
My main hope is that we see some more improvements in the way the team operates and I’d love to see the team kick over 100 points again.

Saints by 3 points.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Pretty excited today in what is a huge game for our footy club!
Not only in terms of importance regarding possible finals hope but also as a real
Opportunity for the boys to come of age with a defining performance on a big stage!

Won't be easy by any means and represents an enormous challenge to be able to pull off the unlikely!
Will need to be ON from the start and bring all the rage and intent we can muster!
If we can put more doubt into an already possibly fractured Adel team early on they may just fall to pieces!

Expect them to bring the heat feverishly early, we must at the very least match it and run run run
Exposing these pricks lack of speed and hope to see us continue to be attacking using the corridor more
We have the firepower to really hurt them if we remain positive and back ourselves to score!
Our skills will need to be cleaner than last week, but strangely confident if we can show our better selves
That we won't all have the Sh!ts tonight! Go get em Saints!

StKilda by 15 points! :stkilda:

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
If we are ever going to beat the Crows, this is the week.

Saints by 16 points.
Crows will be up by 2 goals at half time but their geriatric bodies will cramp up an our speed will kill the in the end.
Bruce to kick 5. Parker 10 tackles. Carlisle to not give away any stupid free kicks. Ross to hit targets two weeks in a row.
Battle to finally get his rising star nomination.

CarnTheSAINTERS

All Australian
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
If we are ever going to beat the Crows, this is the week.

Saints by 16 points.
Crows will be up by 2 goals at half time but their geriatric bodies will cramp up an our speed will kill the in the end.
Bruce to kick 5. Parker 10 tackles. Carlisle to not give away any stupid free kicks. Ross to hit targets two weeks in a row.
Battle to finally get his rising star nomination.
Battle was robbed when I think zurhaar got it. The thing about zurhaar is he kicks 4 goals and goes missing. Battle had a consistent game and kept Kennedy (west coast) and the norf fans think they have the next gaz.

saintastic

Senior List
May 18, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Since shedding a tear in late 1997 I have despised evey game against this mob and quite stupidly evey player who pulls on their colours (except Eddie Betts who I admire). I recall round 3 I think 2009 before any of us knew what we were in for, watching that win and chatting with one on my mates about what a bonus that win was.

A win tonight will be just a sweet as 2009 is in hindsight.

Go Saints!!!!!!

Last edited:

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is winnable if we take the game on. Crows are very poor against fast ball movement and just about unbeatable when the game is played on their terms.

Saints have to have the courage to play this game on a fast break. They may get punished for it but it is really our best chance of winning.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Adelaide by 31. Footy is such a mind game. They have copped more than they have for a long time. Our best hope is to start well not like last week. Both sides have poor midfields. They will get it more but can they spread.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Adelaide by 31. Footy is such a mind game. They have copped more than they have for a long time. Our best hope is to start well not like last week. Both sides have poor midfields. They will get it more but can they spread.
Sadly I think you are correct. If they play at their best, we are no hope.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Sadly I think you are correct. If they play at their best, we are no hope.
Correct but let’s hope we can keep them to current form. At least our record against them is good. Also our form at Adelaide oval is ok to. I remember going to Lenny last game there and we fought like tigers for close to 30 seconds before they finally ran over us. When you to footy and barrack for tackles to a player you know the side is doing a great job

nitewalker13

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is winnable if we take the game on. Crows are very poor against fast ball movement and just about unbeatable when the game is played on their terms.

Saints have to have the courage to play this game on a fast break. They may get punished for it but it is really our best chance of winning.

High risk high reward = more turnovers

But i like our new free flowing game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back