Autopsy Round 20, 2019: Adelaide v St.Kilda *DUNSTAN'S 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that must be the case but he played reserves yesterday. Not having Jimmy in the side last night was a bit of a head-scratcher.

I'm sure they said he was injured again. Can't remember where I saw it.

Dmac may or may not make it. The club have seen enough to keep him.on the list.

Was it a mistake? I guess we'll find out over the next few years.
I still see plenty of upside in him tbh

Fast. Has a tank. Brave. Can clunk a mark.

Needs some work on his disposal and defending.

I mean tex kicked four. We gonna rip into the experience like brown and carlisle and wilkey who all had roles on his over the last two games?

only 48 games played, has the attributes, goes hard, wouldn't be on much coin. Hard to fault it even as depth/trade bait

Hasn’t shown enough to be on an AFL list & would be bottom 8-10 on our list IMO. Borderline delist if not for contract. The three year deal reminds me of the Richo extension. He’s probably on around 400k PA, the bloke has won the lottery.

I need to see results to prove that things are different under Ratten. Like I showed you the score line between the Melb and Adelaide games is very similar.

Can you show me results where things have changed?

We need to move away from feel and talk and more to action and results.

If Ratten can demonstrate that I'll change my opinion and fall in line. Until then I'm not convinced

Those points are not contradictory btw. One is what I think will happen if he is appointed. We have already played a border line top 8 side on the weekend gone. We have done it previously this season. Ratten was running the pre season program when richo was away. He's had heavy input into all areas according to the club. I think they know what they're gonna get from him. I don't rate his work with our fwd this year, just like you didn't earlier in the year. I still think he'd be a good senior assistant though. There's more than one line to coach and more than one role.

Until I see results I'm not sold and you know what I reckon the club should be looking at it the same way. Comparing those Melb and Adelaide games to previously in the year understanding Ratten was there in there in the pre season just gone.

I mean who do you want George...
An autopsy thread turned to s**t. Well done champ. You got your attention.

Hasn’t shown enough to be on an AFL list IMO. The three year deal reminds me of the Richo extension. He’s probably on around 400k PA, the bloke has won the lottery.
fair enough, I think he probably IS on more coin than he deserves, but richo had no say in selecting him this weekend, that was rats, so that means they're both wrong. I think he could still be a player

Hasn’t shown enough to be on an AFL list IMO. The three year deal reminds me of the Richo extension. He’s probably on around 400k PA, the bloke has won the lottery.
I reckon he’d be closer to $200k.
The average current player salary is around $380k.
DMac is not an average AFL player.
Still has won the lottery on that basis though.

fair enough, I think he probably IS on more coin than he deserves, but richo had no say in selecting him this weekend, that was rats, so that means they're both wrong. I think he could still be a player

Apparently was one of our worst for Sandy last weekend but with the injuries to Geary, Webster & Paton he got a call up. Looks to behind those blokes along with Savage, Coffield & Clark as the small-medium defenders. He’s probably only ahead of White for his position. Says it all really. I’m not having a personal go at him & if it seems like that I apologise. Facts are, ATM he’s nowhere near best 22.

Apparently was one of our worst for Sandy last weekend but with the injuries to Geary, Webster & Paton he got a call up. Looks to behind those blokes along with Savage, Coffield & Clark as the small-medium defenders. He’s probably only ahead of White for his position. Says it all really. I’m not having a personal go at him & if it seems like that I apologise. Facts are, ATM he’s nowhere near best 22.
all good. I agree that save for injuries he isn't currently best 22, but injuries are a fact of footy life for all teams (apart from the bloody team we played yesterday :mad:)

Long - 4 disposals, 1 tackle
Lonie - 8 disposals, 25% DE
Brown - 8 disposals, no real match-up
Parker - 11 disposals, 54% DE, ZERO tackles
Bruce - 1.3
Langlands - 11 disposals, 45% DE, 5 clangers, 2 tackles
Sinclair - 13 disposals

It's amazing that we were even in the game when you take in the above, very hard to win any game of football with so many players unable to impact the game.

Plenty of spots up for grabs for next week.

Battle and Carlisle were more like anchors than passengers too. Provided less than zero and took an enormous amount of focus from the coaches box to make them part of the game.

Reckon we beat them if it’s at Marvel, even with the performances at a similar level.

One of the challenges for the next coach is to instil belief that we can win interstate or whatever it is that is stopping us from competing away from home.

Didn’t think it was as meltworthy a performance as I am reading on here. We had a few key players underperforming and a team full of inexperienced players.

Crows took their chances more than we did, not unexpected as they are a more experienced side.

We were untidy but I think Ratts coached an okay game. We created a lot of opportunities but let ourselves down with mistakes, poor choices or sloppy play.

Finals was a mathematical possibility (maybe still is) but realistically with our list we aren’t a finals team right now. We are a developing list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d love some word from the club as to how bad the gastro was through the squad cos some players really didn’t look themselves last night.

In the end, I thought we were pretty poor, but still pretty close to the Crows who have a plethora more class than us across every line on the park. Hindsight says we didn’t do too badly, but we really need to win one of these against the odds interstate games

Here’s hoping that comes v Sydney to finish the year

I wouldn’t be opposed to trading him and going after Ben king or Alex Keath as a replacement. With battle, Marsh, Austin, Joyce and Clav I feel we have enough to cover him. His good games have been few and far between in saints colours

He shits me, he missed one full year from suspension and a pretty much another full season injured out of the four he got and apparently can't be bothered putting in and is looking at moving on, probably the second highest paid Saint in that time too. If I was him I'd want to repay the faith a little. If he's shopping himself around I'd drop him for the rest of the year. He was an embarrassment to himself and a bad example to the kids. I'd rather have had White in and used Battle as a KP.

Looked like more of the same that we are used too. Same problems. I don't see much difference between richo and Ratten beyond length of tenure.

They're pretty much the same. Ratts himself said that.

I think he tried to be more open but our skills let us down. There are changes but I think we went back to what we know when the pressure came on. We were stagnant when we needed to run and caution when we needed endeavour and creativity. At least Ratten could see the issues if not able to fix them.

Third quarter

McKenzie starts on the forward flank! Clearly I'm a genius. As is Rats. He effects a fantastic handball on the wing in heavy traffic out to marshall who pinpoints it to membrey. Classy football from all three.

It rebounds though and our defensive structure is very poor resulting in a soft Wex Talker goal.

Nice work from parker on our d50 to spot up a 1v1 while under pressure, then sinclair to run on and deliver to gresh for a goal

Straight after, sinclair, dunstan, hind, all fantastic in the centre, results in ross putting it to membrey's advantage who takes a nice mark. Putting it to the advantage being the key. Ross has improved in this area in the last few weeks.

Gerard Healey says some great things, but also has no clue half the time. Claims membrey is our only forward that comes at the ball... yet bruce has been a steam train over the past month charging out from full forward. These commentators are a pain in the a***

Sincs breaking fogerty's tackle in the middle of the ground. He's been good since ratten has taken over. He probably doesn't feel as safe now the cho has gone, and rightly so. But he's proving his worth.

4:20 to go in the third, my man dingley ganglands is clearly absolutely cooked chasing a ball on the fat side of the ground. He came out of the blocks in the first with 5 touches in 5 minutes, hasn't seemed to touch it since. Could do with a spell at sandy or we could persist and let him gain fitness in the ones, but what is clear is like clark his upside will truly come as his fitness improves. At sandy he shows real speed out of the stoppage, which we haven't really seen yet in the ones.

Final quarter

Coff winning it in the centre then hitting the perfect 40 metre kick to lonie. He's starting to become an offensive threat.

not much in it but pretty dumb by long, let's hope he learns from it and that never happens again

Parker needs to learn to weight his kicks a bit better, has a nice boot and trajectory, but needs to take a bit off them sometimes

I like the look of fogarty

Hind's run through the middle didn't result in a goal or a i50 mark, but his kick wasn't that bad, membrey should have done better, as should have our smalls. Milne would have gobbled up that ground ball and put it through. I'd like to see his run from the back flank more often but given his size he may be a liability back there.

Ultimately we're fielding one of the youngest teams in the comp and adelaide the oldest and most experienced. They don't have any injuries and we were playing them at home. 22 points was the about the line with the bookies so it is what it is. But hard to fault us too much from that game. They kicked a lot straighter too.

I don't think McKenzie is best 22 if injuries aren't a thing, but that's fairyland stuff, and while he contributed (directly in one case) to some goals against, he was not the reason we lost and had some nice moments too. The truth is people just need a scapegoat to direct their energy and he's currently the guy.

also I don't think brown had a match up and while he didn't play badly, we could have done without him. Battle sacrificed his game for no reason.

Last edited:
Round 20 Adelaide vs st kilda: 92 vs 70
Round 5 st kilda vs adelaide: 68 vs 97

What an improvement!

Round 4 Melbourne vs st kilda: 55 vs 95
Round 19 st kilda vs Melbourne: 104 vs 85

So yeah slight increase in score but leaking more. Ever slightly in Adelaide. More pronounced vs Melbourne.

Scoring over 100 means literally nothing. It's just an arbitrary line in the sand. What you need to look at is score for vs score against.

I couldn't care if we kick 95 vs 104 in the Melbourne game. 9 points mean nothing. The amount we started to concede is the bigger issue but we win yay. Likewise couldn't care if we score 2 more points vs adelaide. We still didn't close the gap. We lose which is bad.

I think that score against has increased because the side is holding position rather than flooding back. Playing Adelaide in Adelaide with a home crowd and biased umpiring is hard to read accurately against our home game. I thought early in the year they embarrassed us and made us look nowhere near it. Last night we were in the game right up to about mid way through the last quarter. Richo flooded to stop scoring so looked better but really we were only trying not to lose badly. I thought last night we were playing to win.

I wonder when people will take the rose coloured glasses off , our list is average at best , yes all the stars that people bang on about on here are not really stars , just good average footballers , good luck to any coach taking us on its going to be a tough gig IMO

Yeah we don't have stars but this year we have discovered some players. Marshall was barely best 22 last year, Battle was on a few games and while promising had a small sample size. Billings was looking like a nervous school boy who had the odd good game, Dunny, Paton, Lonie etc all looked like they were ready to be delisted etc.

What the club hasn't been advertising is that we have moved on a huge amount of players. In a rebuild that's really unusual. Six players who were on the 2013 list are still at the club. Stuv- missing, Armo- missing, Geary- missing, Webster- missing, Newnes- missing and Ross- some seem to wish he was missing.

Any way the point is we are rebuilding the first rebuild and probably the second one too.

We are behind Carlton in the rebuild and second to only GC in list profile and age. Next year we pronbably lose Stuv, Armo, Carlisle, Newnes and maybe even Brown. We will be the youngest side in the comp.

We have a good middle order and a few kids worth working with. Still way to go but we are competitive and hard working, who ever gets us will need time but can mould the side in their image. I wouldn't mind Ratts because I think with so many kids we need a father figure nice guy.

48 more than I was ever good enough to play.

Now that Mav is gone, I guess some people need a new player to bag.
Yeah how dare Gilbo retire and Lonie and Dunstan come good.

Notice Carlisle getting a run today after him being praised and people calling others fools for wanting to trade him.

Talk about

Screenshot_20190804-174856_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

That handball DMac gave off to Lonie for the goal. I’ve watched that a few times & come to the same conclusion every time.... Be where the Crows player was, ie: in front of your opponent. Just unlucky that it bounced him & went straight to DMac who was clearly in the wrong position but was ultimately fortuitous in this instance. Definitely not worth claiming this as a great play by DMac, more arsey as fu** than anything else

But then you could say one of the goals kicked on him was bad luck because the ball held up and Adelaide was lucky that it didn't roll over the line. Footy is a game of inches and luck, he had the quick hands to capitalise. It was a good play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back