Review Round 20, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against Western Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

what does Adams brings that Walker doesnt? genuine question... think Walker adds more to the team TBH.
They are pretty similar now in terms of output but IMO Marcus will go past Josh like he's standing still before the end of the H&A season, he's building nicely, will be a beast. Marcus has a lot more speed and agility and an ability to play on talls, mediums and smalls similar to Darcy Gardiner, having Harris, Darcy and Marcus in the back 6 gives us seriously fantastic flexibility match up wise.

I reckon it's time to debut one of Smith or Berry. Perfect game to give either a shot.

Further to that if Linc needs a break then Cox up forward would be great to see.
The other Lyons might be a good time to debut. Performing better than both Berry and Smith and for longer. Wouldn't mind Wooler having a go as well. Always liked what he brings. Think he needs to work on his aerobic capacity more but he could be the Lynch (Crows) for us.

Adams can play small. Walker can't.
Correct.

I don't see where the love for Walker comes from . He can be a liability in the backline imo , just not hard enough in the contest, but admittedly would have been a shoe in in our team 2 or 3 years ago.

The opposition coaching pressers have been interesting particularly the last four weeks where they have a whinge about not taking opportunities , coulda,woulda ,and giving us begrudging praise in that we make the most of our own.

Jealousy's a curse.

Lester can to and provides more than Adams IMO.
Size Matters imo Lester isn't in the same class as Adams . He did a lot of things today that made a difference ,able to make up quick ground and defend strongly when they were on the loose. He's just finding his feet. Give him a little time ,spent most of the year injured.

wow what a roller coaster!

I teared up a bit after the tackle by Dizzy, it was just the cherry on top of our amazing first half pressure. So proud of their work

Answerth tearing through packs such mongrel in him its awesome
Bailey using his speed to cut off a ground ball that looked like an easy doggies 50 entry
Bloody even Witho was doing the grunt work! it was awesome
Rayner, McCluggage and Berry as well to round out the youngsters. They were all terrific (in the first!)

Berry has really grown into the season. FINALLY!

That drop off was dissapointing, but not all unexpected (on the view that the doggies were butchering a lot of their stuff early on, once they got some more composure they sliced through us)

But we showed some real composure. Really happy for Hippy to take that responsibility and slot those two shots. A big shame CHristensen missed his one. But that won't detract from his really good night.

Andrews looked amazing all night, except for 2 1/2 moments. That body bump off by Naughton nice work by him, the one were he was covering two and went for the wrong one..eh and that kick out of defense which was a shocker. But I'm being extremely nit picky there!
Can't mention Andrews without DIZZY. Take that one tackle and you'd be elated, but his constant work for the whole bloody night was so so good. Loved it!

Robbo was on fire and was there with the special stuff.

McStay and Hippy worked really really hard in the first half. McStay in the last quarter had like 4 or 5 almost moments. Him and Big O got mixed a bit

Adams i thought was very nice too.

Honestly the only player who had an off night was probably McCarthy. Those missed shots, and then some *just* off handballs here and there. But it wasn't a shocker by any means.
Lyons was a bit quiet but he lifted late. As did Neale who single handedly (with some beautiful tap work with Stef) got us 2 goals.

Man that was a good win. Percentage .. meh the points are good for now.

and finally. Loved that shot of Fages waslking off giving a thumbs up to the crowd then high fiving them! He looked grumpy, but I think that is appropriate.
Correct.

I don't see where the love for Walker comes from . He can be a liability in the backline imo , just not hard enough in the contest, but admittedly would have been a shoe in in our team 2 or 3 years ago.

The opposition coaching pressers have been interesting particularly the last four weeks where they have a whinge about not taking opportunities , coulda,woulda ,and giving us begrudging praise in that we make the most of our own.

Jealousy's a curse.
Yes,Beveridge’s press conference was the greatest bunch of sour grapes I have heard. Moan,moan,moan. Even said that the dogs had won three quarters,and we only won because of our first quarter when they kicked badly blah,blah. Last time I looked we actually won three quarters,not only was he wrong but a really sore loser. Disappointing effort from him.

Just looking through the stats sheet we had quite a few players down today on paper.

In fact if you just look at the raw individual data they had several really good players ,we had less.

Surely it's a great sign that we won relatively easily.

The really good thing for me is seeing Hippy take 10 marks ,that's a fantastic effort for a key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t speak highly enough of Darcy Gardiner’s game tonight. His efforts were superb and saved goals, turned defence into attack and made their forwards make poor decisions with the ball. Sone of his work would not have shown up on TV but were noticeable at the game.

Bundy was also excellent and he knows how to really apply forward pressure in a way that pays off.

Berry really stood up in a game where the midfields cancelled each other out or they got on top. Berry was able to lift every time we needed him to.

They are pretty similar now in terms of output but IMO Marcus will go past Josh like he's standing still before the end of the H&A season, he's building nicely, will be a beast. Marcus has a lot more speed and agility and an ability to play on talls, mediums and smalls similar to Darcy Gardiner, having Harris, Darcy and Marcus in the back 6 gives us seriously fantastic flexibility match up wise.

He is 5 times the 1 on 1 defender Walker is. If we are looking for a backman, Adams is our man. Forward.. Walker.

Those midsized defenders that can take marks are huge in finals. I personally couldn't deal with Walker leaving us exposed in 1 on 1s in a big game.

This kid, you can't teach that. Just barraging through before the player even lands on the ground is just amazing. He will be scary to play against in a year or two.

Lester can to and provides more than Adams IMO.

Adams can take contested marks down the wing, hard to out mark him and his physical presence. Did it a few times already in previous games.

Couple that with pace and ability to play tall or small, he certainly offers more.

He had 3 clangers . Cut him some slack ,he still did some good things and got into the right spot,sometimes these things happen.

He's been ultra consistent for the majority of the year.
Hear what you're saying but to be brutally honest he had a off night it happens busted a gut nothing worked that's footy

Can see Kelly, MacRae, Bont, Fyfe, Boak, Dusty and Cripps making it.

He'd be a deserving all Australian but he's no certainty.
Macrae and Bont can't both fit into the side, Bulldogs mids get 30 or 40+ on a weekly basis and it has very little to do with their overall performance. Of those players only Boak has been on the same level as Neale all season.

Back