Review Round 20, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against Western Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t speak highly enough of Darcy Gardiner’s game tonight. His efforts were superb and saved goals, turned defence into attack and made their forwards make poor decisions with the ball. Sone of his work would not have shown up on TV but were noticeable at the game.

Bundy was also excellent and he knows how to really apply forward pressure in a way that pays off.

Berry really stood up in a game where the midfields cancelled each other out or they got on top. Berry was able to lift every time we needed him to.
I know this wont be a popular comment to make but Berry really coughed up the ball several times and cost us dearly in the first half. He seems to be trying to do too much rather than contributing as a team player. His last 1/4 was certainly his best but earlier on he made some terrible decisions that we cannot afford him to make against sides we play in finals. It doesn't surprise me that he gets (103 votes to date) and acknowledged in the top 5 players votes but I would personally have him in the bottom 10 on yesterday's performance. Christensen, Neale, Hipwood, Rich, Hodge, Martin, Gardner, Answerth, Big O all deserved more votes than Beza for their efforts imo.

I know this wont be a popular comment to make but Berry really coughed up the ball several times and cost us dearly in the first half. He seems to be trying to do too much rather than contributing as a team player. His last 1/4 was certainly his best but earlier on he made some terrible decisions that we cannot afford him to make against sides we play in finals. It doesn't surprise me that he gets (103 votes to date) and acknowledged in the top 5 players votes but I would personally have him in the bottom 10 on yesterday's performance. Christensen, Neale, Hipwood, Rich, Hodge, Martin, Gardner, Answerth, Big O all deserved more votes than Beza for their efforts imo.
Maybe he was given a role and was following it to the letter.

Coaches Votes are interesting:

BRISBANE v WESTERN BULLDOGS
9 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
7 Mitch Robinson (BL)
6 Jack Macrae (WB)
6 Charlie Cameron (BL)
1 Josh Dunkley (WB)
1 Jarrod Berry (BL)

I reckon votes went something like this:

- Beveridge: 5. Bontempelli, 4. Macrae, 3. Cameron, 2. Robinson, 1. Dunkley
- Fagan: 5. Robinson, 4. Bontempelli, 3. Cameron, 2. Macrae, 1. Berry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't for the life of me find a replay of the Robinson bump/tackle that the Dogs posters have been whinging about. /

Must have been a real standout.

iT wAs tHe AcT oF a ThUg.

Poor lad was very winded.

Just a reflection of Bevo's love for possession gluttons I suspect. (Macrae 45, Bont 35, Dunkley 31 their top three for the game)

And it shows in the Dogs' game style. Lots of flipping the pill around with handball chains(often with borderline throws mixed in). As someone already mentioned, their midfield possession numbers from week to week can be ridiculous. They smashed us by 82 in the Uncontested Possessions (246 to 164) and had 69 more handballs. There was one passage of play where I reckon I counted 7 handballs by them in a about 20 seconds.

But so what? Cheapie possessions don't win matches.

Heard David King on SEN this morning. He's a big fan of our game style. Mentioned that the Lions method is built on quality rather than quantity (of possessions) and win the contested possessions that really count.

Contested Possessions went our way 150-138

Last edited:
I dare say that the role he was given was NOT to make terrible decisions and turn the ball over....which he did several times in the first half
Not sure he was trying to make terrible decisions. Just a young player doing his best. Usually the more disposals you get, your disposal efficiency % drops, even for the champions of the game. He had the most disposals for Lions with 25 next Robinson with 24. I appreciate the fact that their are turnovers under pressure and ones that are not under pressure.
Seven players disposal efficiency % from the Bulldogs game.

Berry - 68% WBD - 74% for season
Robinson - 67% WBD - 68% for season
Neale - 70% WBD - 79% for season
McCluggage - 81% WBD - 69% for season
Rich - 82% WBD - 81% for season
Witherden - 69% WBD - 80% for season
Cameron - 92% WBD - 69% for season

Not sure he was trying to make terrible decisions. Just a young player doing his best. Usually the more disposals you get, your disposal efficiency % drops, even for the champions of the game. He had the most disposals for Lions with 25 next Robinson with 24. I appreciate the fact that their are turnovers under pressure and ones that are not under pressure.
Seven players disposal efficiency % from the Bulldogs game.

Berry - 68% WBD - 74% for season
Robinson - 67% WBD - 68% for season
Neale - 70% WBD - 79% for season
McCluggage - 81% WBD - 69% for season
Rich - 82% WBD - 81% for season
Witherden - 69% WBD - 80% for season
Cameron - 92% WBD - 69% for season
Looking at the season disposal percentages it is no surprise the the 2 best come out of the back 50, DE really is a pretty useless statistic unless you know the pressure involved with each disposal.

In saying that Lachie Neale really is outstanding at 79% considering a lot of his disposals would be in tight.

That Beams out Neale in off season is turning out to be one of the most astute list management decisions this century, our recruitment staff must surely have a RSRE in the 90% region.

Back