Preview Round 20, 2019: North Melbourne v Hawthorn, 2 August 2019, 7.50pm @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to family circumstances this is the first game I will be able to get to this year. I'm stoked that I will be able to be there to honour the great man in his record-breaking game. I'll never forget him dragging us over the line in the '13 prelim and but for him there would have been no 3 peat. He deserves every accolade and more that comes his way and I'm proud that our club organised for a group of past and present indigenous player to pay their respects in person.

I am flying back from Byron Bay and Lismore late tomorrow but hopefully will get to this one.
I will be happy to see Mr Shaw lose his first game as senior coach.

Not sure what makes me happier, Shaun Burgoyne etching his name in the history books or erasing Adam Goodes' in the process. 😄

I get that you're joking and I'm sorry to be 'that guy'. But I find this language reasonable disrespectful, considering that Aboriginal societies and cultures have been fighting against actual erasure since Europeans colonised Australia. In fact, some would argue that Aboriginal culture and societiy still face the threat of erasure. I mean to say, your comment about 'erasing' Goodes from the history books is something that has sad historical poignancy.

Again, sorry I don't mean to single you out as I have seen this sentiment multiple times in this thread.

Why are we still persisting with unnecessarily ragging on Adam Goodes? I can't understand the slight-to-overt feeling of vitriol towards Goodes, which has persisted long after he (sadly) left the game. Can't we just be happy for Shaun Burgoyne, without bringing down Goodes? I'm sure Goodes and Burgoyne have huge respect for what each of them have accomplished, so why can't we?

*I have not seen the Goodes documentary. During the 'booing' scandal directed towards Goodes I felt complicit due to my lack of condemnation or lack of frustration towards it, and I regret this.

Last edited:
I get that you're joking and I'm sorry to be 'that guy'. But I find this language reasonable disrespectful, considering that Aboriginal societies and cultures have been fighting against actual erasure since Europeans colonised Australia. In fact, some would argue that Aboriginal culture and societiy still face the threat of erasure. I mean to say, your comment about 'erasing' Goodes from the history books is something that has sad historical poignancy.

Again, sorry I don't mean to single you out as I have seen this sentiment multiple times in this thread.

Why are we still persisting with unnecessarily ragging on Adam Goodes? I can't understand the slight-to-overt feeling of vitriol towards Goodes, which has persisted long after he (sadly) left the game. Can't we just be happy for Shaun Burgoyne, without bringing down Goodes? I'm sure Goodes and Burgoyne have huge respect for what each of them have accomplished, so why can't we?

*I have not seen the Goodes documentary. During the 'booing' scandal directed towards Goodes I felt complicit due to my lack of condemnation or lack of frustration towards it, and I regret this.
How about saying "knocking Goodes off the top of that list". Burgoyne is so classy, just has this aura about him that demands a lot of respect.

Ragging on Adam Goodes is necessary because Adam Goodes is a self-centered w***er who made football all about him. Nothing makes me happier than seeing Shuan Burgoyne's name replace his, because unlike Goodes he's selflessly served his team without drawing excess attention to himself, without being a blatant soccer-sliding thug or a shameless umpire's pet, yet still he's successfully promoted awareness on Aboriginal issues without the divisive selfishness of Adam "when in doubt play the racist card" Goodes.

Post Summary: Shaun Burgoyne is Awesome. Adam Goodes is a s**t bloke. * Geelong & Essendon*.

How about saying "knocking Goodes off the top of that list". Burgoyne is so classy, just has this aura about him that demands a lot of respect.

How about saying "I am happy to see Burgoyne become the games-played record holder among indigenous players". You don't even have to mention Goodes. I don't understand the need to bring Goodes down to big up Shaun.

I agree with your second statement. But Goodes has earned a lot of respect as well - a fact I reckon Burgoyne is well and truly aligned with.

Anyway, hope we win today, aye?

Ragging on Adam Goodes is necessary because Adam Goodes is a self-centered w***er who made football all about him. Nothing makes me happier than seeing Shuan Burgoyne's name replace his, because unlike Goodes he's selflessly served his team without drawing excess attention to himself, without being a blatant soccer-sliding thug or a shameless umpire's pet, yet still he's successfully promoted awareness on Aboriginal issues without the divisive selfishness of Adam "when in doubt play the racist card" Goodes.

Post Summary: Shaun Burgoyne is Awesome. Adam Goodes is a s**t bloke. fu** Geelong & Essendon*.
How can I like this multiple times?😁👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chuckle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back