Discussion Round 20, 2019 - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs in home / white, i swear they used to wear a clash strip for this.

EDIT: yes they did
View attachment 720529
IIRC it started the same time as the Paddlepop Lion as that jumper had (not much) more royal on the front. It was also in an era where WB tended to wear white away a fair bit (against Port for example). It then took a few years to revert. I saw today's matchup and did wonder when it changed back.

Did GWS' white clash top make for a better or worse clash against Sydney's home top? White vs red & white, couldn't have been good?

I think this may be the reasoning - both recent all-home matchups have been Sydney as the home team.

I'm of the opinion that white strips don't clash with Sydney, because their uniform with the shorts is still majority red. It is possible that the AFL didn't like that matchup though. Perhaps this is a case where GWS should make a charcoal-backed version of their home guernsey, just as a clash jumper against Sydney.

If it is the case though, its another one of these ridiculous situations that the AFL throw up where a particular matchup is a clash in one direction, but not a clash in the other.

Don't forget it could also be useful against the Gold Coast

Yeah but their normal white is still fine for that matchup. They probably still need the white, but if the AFL say that neither their home or white is acceptable against Sydney then a charcoal is the go.

They could actually have a really cool setup if they had predominately orange, white and charcoal versions of their home and just used whichever is most approprate for the situation.

I'm warming more to Port's silver jumper. I love the emphasis on the black and white chevrons, it just needs to silver to be toned down and it's a winner.
I think it needs black cuffs and a black collar. I'd probably go with silver/grey socks and a black band at the top too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back