Autopsy Round 20, 2021 | Autopsy vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Ideal result really. Didn't have three of our most inform players yet put in a decent fight against one of the top contenders. If we're gonna get the first pick that's how I wanna see it happen, through good honest arm wrestles with the boys putting in 100% and aiming to win. Also great to see McKay blanket his opponent with Taz in the team. Onwards we go
If we finish last playing like that and nab Horne, it really is a perfect finish to the year.

If we don’t win one of the next two, I really don’t want us winning a dead rubber against Adelaide.

Honestly expected we'd get absolutely hammered.

So really impressed with how much we took Geelong to task and that was winnable if the skills were cleaner, we showed a bit more fitness and maturity in the important stages and kept up with Geelong when they decided to put the pedal down during those moments there was a clear picture between the two teams but for a large portion it was fairly even. We defended really well against them, didn't get a lot of options forward cos their defence is just as strong but we cleaned up nicely when we did to even the scores up as much as possible.

Shows that Noble has the potential to outcoach Scott when given a great team, as it looked like we were threatening to snatch a victory in the last.

Ever since our draw with GWS this team has really turned the corner, I really wonder how far we can go next year.

It's strange how the criticism copped by Roos, Lyon et al. for their dour strangulation game styles has largely escaped Geelong. I'm not one to moan about defensively-oriented teams, and I won't be here either (varying strategies makes for a much more interesting competition), but the Cats in 2021 routinely play this sort of game - constant chip-kicking, rarely if ever taking aggressive options unless they're so open that it's obviously the best choice, cutting off as much space as possible, creating the conditions to force the opponent into sloppy turnovers and then capitalising.

I want basically any other team to win it because I hate the style.

Hate it.

Today more than any other game this year, the umpiring was at its worst. Very frustrating. Anyway, we competed and matched them in most areas and that’s all you can ask for. Basic skill errors again hurting us.

The most pleasing aspect for me was our defensive structure across the entire ground completely nullified an outfit renowned for their defensive structure.

McKay pwned Hawkins again, Ziebell was an animal in his attack on the man, Jy and LDU delivered again. Plenty of positives and some obvious negatives: decision making and execution was glaring at times and we are still 2 short in that department down back Lack of that 2nd aerial threat up forward is telling against the top sides who play a loose interceptor as Geelong do.

All said and done another step forward under the circumstances.

They defended the corridor well which you need to against us, props to the Cats. Definitely will be a tape brought out in the pre-season for adjusting to that situation.

With that different ball movement and without Zurhaar, the forward line was back to struggle town. Definitely need to find another target up there next year - Comben or Wiedemann who knows.

Simpkin - jeez I have underestimated him. Looked the best and fittest midfielder out there with a gap to the next.

Dumont and Anderson - love them but their offensive limitations were on show in admittedly difficult conditions today. Some costly turnovers.

Bosenavulagi - looks great in the corridor squeezing through traffic and hitting up the short pass, nice goal today.

Ford - pretty tentative understandably, hard to make an assessment yet but would like to see him hold his spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would’ve liked to be a goal or two closer but all in all happy with that.
The last round will be the Horne cup.

If you think back to the start of the year, we would have got by Geelong

end of the year the game plan is starting to settle our kids are looking good Jy and LDU looking like elite players.

Comden is coming to help Suva, Powell, Phillips Ford and Charlie will be better next year.

2022 looking good, hoping we can go to games.

Shows that Noble has the potential to outcoach Scott when given a great team, as it looked like we were threatening to snatch a victory in the last.

Ever since our draw with GWS this team has really turned the corner, I really wonder how far we can go next year.

It's going to be so bloody satisfying when this team starts hammering the clubs that have had it over us for years - Geelong, Ess, etc

Honestly expected we'd get absolutely hammered.

So really impressed with how much we took Geelong to task and that was winnable if the skills were cleaner, we showed a bit more fitness and maturity in the important stages and kept up with Geelong when they decided to put the pedal down during those moments there was a clear picture between the two teams but for a large portion it was fairly even. We defended really well against them, didn't get a lot of options forward cos their defence is just as strong but we cleaned up nicely when we did to even the scores up as much as possible.

I can’t believe how much we have improved in such a quick time .
Any other year we would of been competitive for a half a game & been blown away in the 2nd .
Today we were still with a sniff with 5-10 min to go

They’re sh*t . 4 or 5 of out best missing and they were helped in that last by the umpires .

If you think Geelong is s**t you are a shocking bad judge of football. This is why our supporters on BF have such a shocking reputation for being w***ers. Don't be a sore loser.

I am really proud of our boys, we had a crack but we made a ton of errors by foot, a lot of them were unforced, just lacked polish, we missed the inside grunt work of Cunnington, we missed Thomas' class and we couldn't get enough supply into our forward 50. It happens.

I am confident we will eventually pass Geelong in the near future, we have a young squad, Geelong has a mature squad, we are on different ends of the spectrum. Having a cry about it doesn't really achieve anything. I am glad we weren't blown out of the water despite missing some important players, we are holding up much better than we did earlier in the season.

I want basically any other team to win it because I hate the style.

Hate it.
I had a look at the Geelong gameday thread and had to laugh when reading that North played an awful defensive flood with spares in the backline.

LOL facepalm.gif. That's been their MO for eons under Scott.

Atu fast becoming one of my favourite players. Love how he just cracks in to every contest, love his defensive work, his speed, his tenacity, and his skill. He'll probably wind up one of our most underrated players, like Lazzaro, but I love what both of them bring to our side.

Thought we worked hard today, and we're a far better team than our ladder position implies. And I love Azza's games for us this year. His repeat efforts and bursts down the corridor are a thing of beauty. We'd be a worse team without him.

And Jy and LDU, they are the bright future that is now. And our steadfast Captain Jack is not ready to be past yet - he's found his new niche, and I hope he sails it for some time to come. It's a really great blending of transition we've got happening right now, and things are starting to gel. I believe we will surprise (and hopefully confound!) them all next year. It's a good bunch we've got growing right now, and I love each and every one of them. But they've got to stop perming their hair.

Anyways, this was the highlight of my night. I mean, Ford's goal was great too, and he had a really good debut, with a lot to like, but this one had me leaping up with my arms in the air-

Hearts to Hearts Atu, and big congrats on your first goal! :blueheart:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back