Autopsy Round 20, 2021 | Autopsy vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

The oracle with the crystal ball has spoken.

I think North will win the flag next year. You guys are the benchmark is list management.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Leave it there and enjoy the win.

Unlike some others I think the whole Geelong cliff thing is nonsense but condescending to fans of a team who are enjoying hanging with the top team doesn't reflect well on you.

Just thought I'd offer this bit of info, as it's a bit of a misnomer that we have no youth - for perspective our 2016 draft alone netted us Miers, Stewart, Ratugolea, O'Connor, Z. Guthrie (who was one of our best today) and Jack Henry. In a couple of years, once Hawkins, Selwood, Tuohy, Higgins, I. Smith, Henderson and Stanley all likely retire, we'll still have this as Best 22 players remaining on the list (with 2 draft and trade periods in between)

B: Henry, Blicavs, Bews
HB: Stewart, Kolo, Atkins
C: J. Clark, O'Connor, Menegola
FO: Ratugolea, C. Guthrie, Parfitt
HF: Dahlhaus, Rohan, Dangerfield
F: Close, J. Cameron, Miers
INT: S. De Koning (1st round pick), M. Holmes (1st round pick), C. Stephens (1st round pick), Narkle

Is it perfect? No. But it's certainly not the cliff that everyone makes it out to be - especially considering that Holmes and De Koning have shown a lot, Kreuger who played today looks good as did Z. Guthrie - , and we also have 2 years worth of trading/drafting to bolster/replace some names on that list

Dangerfield is 31.

Not sure you should be including him in any future sides based on a couple of years away.

I’ve often wondered why opposition fans after winning stalk the Autopsy thread and add their 2c.

At minimum, it’s condescending behavior even when trying to give a backhanded compliment to effort.

Sort of used to Snake getting involved at this point, which begs the question, where is he?

I’ve often wondered why opposition fans after winning stalk the Autopsy thread and add their 2c.

At minimum, it’s condescending behavior even when trying to give a backhanded compliment to effort.

Sort of used to Snake getting involved at this point, which begs the question, where is he?

A Tibetan monastery.

Look at who isn’t getting a game.

Zac Guthrie came in as a late change and was in the best few on the ground.

Jordan Clarke has played VFL nearly all year (sub today) and would start in most sides best 22

Ah, that spring chicken 23yo Zach Guthrie. What a wunderkind.

As for Jordan Clarke, he’ll be gone the first chance he gets.

I was happy Noble admitted teams are trying to take away the corridor and we have to be smarter. Won't be solved overnight but the first stage in fixing the problem is admitting you have one. Not sure Brad ever did that.

Teams reacting to your tactics isn’t a problem. It’s a sign of success.

Endured about 15-20 mins listening on KRock. If I was a geelong supporter I would love it but if you want a neutral call you’ll wait for hell to freeze over. By comparison I thought the tv commentary with JBrown was in our corner which was fun for a change. Derwayne didn’t bother me.
So it looks like we are trying to get Polec to be able to play forward flank as well as wing, interested to see if it works but today wasn’t a great day for wingers.
Also thinking that rolling our ruck forward will be more successful when we have a second KPF to stretch a defence more effectively. Atm a defence can cover for it.
I thought Noble’s press conference summed up the game well: not enough i50 and scoreboard pressure and i50 poor decision making missing opportunities. As others said about zurhaar out it that structural change sort of looked like our players couldn’t fill the gap. Probably fair when we try to plug said gap with effectively a first gamer.

Thanks for dropping by!

A very naive statement.

On field success is more than premierships. Yeah they’re great to win but sustained on field success (winning 70% of your games since your last flag) does translate to memberships (over 60,000 this year) , and sponsorships.

In addition - it helps you attract big names who are chasing success. Going to a club that contends regularly is a big draw card.

Look at Geelongs recruits from other clubs - look at your own.

Flags are great - sustained on field performance is a bit of fun as well.

And your serious, that’s funny 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm half way in watching the game(missed it due to working) and the umpiring is sh*t as per usual.

Soft frees to Geelong in front of goal

It won't improve - just wait till the last mate!
Rohan drops the ball inside 50 when JZ tackles him, play on - goal
A shocking decision.
NM forwards gang raped. Play on.
Nothing to see here. Otherwise the commentators would have mentioned it.

Oh, wait. Dwayne Russell in the box.
LDU htb against f*n laughable

Shocking free kick to Curtis ducking in front
Thought that was there - plenty of softer ones than that get paid.
Taz only needs to fart next to Ratagalea to give away free kicks
Ratagalea almost took a heap of marks, almost got a stack of kicks, almost could have kicked a bag. Actually, got a couple of cheap frees otherwise was invisible.
And the big one - Duckwood got pinged for throwing. Never thought I'd see it.
Chris Scotts didn't think that was a throw - after all, he has seen the hundreds that never get paid and he knows many of them were more blatant than this one today. Ump made a genuine error - duckwood is licensed to throw.
How in this ******* universe did Zach Guthrie get it 28 times and take 13 marks??
We put it on his chest 12 times. He didn't even have to break stride or compete.

Just thought I'd offer this bit of info, as it's a bit of a misnomer that we have no youth - for perspective our 2016 draft alone netted us Miers, Stewart, Ratugolea, O'Connor, Z. Guthrie (who was one of our best today) and Jack Henry. In a couple of years, once Hawkins, Selwood, Tuohy, Higgins, I. Smith, Henderson and Stanley all likely retire, we'll still have this as Best 22 players remaining on the list (with 2 draft and trade periods in between)

INT: S. De Koning (1st round pick), M. Holmes (1st round pick), C. Stephens (1st round pick), Narkle

Is it perfect? No. But it's certainly not the cliff that everyone makes it out to be - especially considering that Holmes and De Koning have shown a lot, Kreuger who played today looks good as did Z. Guthrie - , and we also have 2 years worth of trading/drafting to bolster/replace some names on that list

Yeah, everyone has good promising kids, but not everyone becomes a Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins, etc but I think Geelong ahs a lot to work with after the 30+ players eventually retire. Every side is heavily reliant on their top 10 players though, it is the ability to replenish the top 10 with very good quality that is the challenge.

Richmond has a very young list, but their stars are ageing and it didn't take a lot to go from 3 flags in 4 years to scrapping it out to try and make the top 8. Geelong has been there before, we all have.

The litmus tests comes when there is the vacancy shift. To some degree Duncan and Guthrie have been shielded for most of their career because clubs had worse headaches to worry about, picking up Danger and Selwood and before them players like Bartel, Ablett, etc. Duncan and Guthrie are very good players but imagine Selwood and Danger retired last year. All of a sudden they have to shift to the best mids the opposition has, and the next tier cop the ones that used to take Duncan and Guthrie, unless you are a player of Danger or Selwood's calibre, that lateral shift can put enormous downward pressure on a club and it can happen on all lines. Us losing Brown put a lot of pressure on Larkey and other forwards, last few years we have felt the loss of Cunnington who has missed a lot of footy. Yeah, we have recruited a lot of top quality mids, but they aren't able to do what Cunnington has in a short period of time.

The change can come quick and it can be dramatic depending on how ready a club is to replace key players, particular top 10 players. When we lost Harvey, Wells, Swallow, etc it just put a huge amount of pressure on everyone else and we crumbled under that weight, it was just too many players, too fast and the young kids too inexperienced.

If Geelong recruit well and bring in top end quality players to replace those that exit, they wont really experience that decline, but it is challenging to do well over and over. I think what is helping you guys is that your older players have been in relatively good health, I think that is an important component.

A very naive statement.

On field success is more than premierships. Yeah they’re great to win but sustained on field success (winning 70% of your games since your last flag) does translate to memberships (over 60,000 this year) , and sponsorships.

In addition - it helps you attract big names who are chasing success. Going to a club that contends regularly is a big draw card.

Look at Geelongs recruits from other clubs - look at your own.

Flags are great - sustained on field performance is a bit of fun as well.

I literally couldn’t be bothered reading your response. All the best

Umpires with some media darling interpretations of the rules

The paid that free against Stephenson in a marking contest whilst the spud Geelong forward spent basically the entire game literally only hitting players in the air.

It’s total rubbish - zero midfield. Your pinning your hopes on Zac Guthrie, pure hilarity.

You’ll struggle to keep Clark and Narkle this year. Your best players are over 30 and visibly slowing up. You’ve got this year and maybe next year if you are lucky.

You’ll prob never properly bottom out cos you’ll scratch out 8 wins a year playing at that pathetic rectangle (no idea what it is called this year).

Righto, back on topic.

Today just shows how much we need a forward to support Larkey. He was being triple and quadruple teamed all day.

Any long kick into attack was marked with ease.

We also need another pure crumbing small forward in the Charlie Cameron mould.

The above means we will halve more aerial contests and bring the footy to ground hopefully leading to more goals.

I think Noble was spot on in his
Mid week assessment in terms of our list needs.

Today was a lesson in finals type footy and we were mature in our approach, however a bit one dimensional.

Really good signs overall, but still a way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few less turnovers and we had this in the bag.
We really gotta work on our intensity from the starting bounce, seems like it takes us a half to get going and against stronger opponents its not going to work.

To be fair we strangled them
That’s twice this year though, we have brought them to our level and a few more in would have different results
They bought us to their level…
Horrible team to watch!
Autopsy being the operative word for watching Geelong play football.

Yeah great, multiple loose men and intercept marking and then the endless chipping from the back half. Good luck with that in finals.

Was very pleased with our effort defensively. Need to mix up the corridor to boundary ratio from the back half by next season.

Good to see Ford and Atu get a run.
They are the least entertaining team in AFL history…
Geelong win by boring teams to death.
Thank God our game plan is the exact opposite!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back