Review Round 20, 2021 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Anyone interested in putting together a preview against Fremantle please let me know via PM and I'll hold the spot for you.

Otherwise you willingly settle for a less than half-arsed preview from someone who hasn't watching Fremantle play this year.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Still feel we can fight with most teams with adams and diz back. I’m like others…. I feel it’s just stacked against us this year now. Another off season for our forward line to gel. Get Rayner, hippy, adams, diz fit. A fit berry and cockatoo. We will have plenty of X factor next year and a rock solid defence. No reason for mass changes. There is still comfortably a premiership team in this team. Just need some luck with injury.
Most premiership teams over the years have managed to get the vast majority of their best 22 on the field come finals, if everything falls our way over the next month the only players missing form our probable best 22 come finals will be Cam Rayner and Eric Hipwood.

Charlie has been a bit of a worry this season, he only brings his elite defensive pressure in fits and starts, needs to do it way more often, big Joe as well. Another thing I noticed today was that a few times the camera was on Lachie at the centre bounces and he looked very down/disheartened/beaten.

I can't see a flag this year for us.. if it happened though it would have to be a massive turnaround in form from the last month.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Season done. I've been following Brisbane my whole life and these past few weeks have been the worst I have felt supporting this club. Under crazy Vossy or Loopy Leppa we had no expectations so I didn't care that we got flogged week in week out. We were meant to compete this year for the premiership. Now we are making up the numbers. But this embarrassing performance shows thst those whispers I've I've hearing all year and have been getting louder the past month are becoming an issue club wide. Fagan and his cohort need to reasses themselves big time. This season is done. Rabble.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Promising first game back for Nakia Cockatoo after over three seasons since playing AFL footy. 9 possessions, 5 tackles and a goal. A rare shining light out of today. He tackles with ferocity and makes them stick and his kicking skills are attacking and direct and hit the target.

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Most premiership teams over the years have managed to get the vast majority of their best 22 on the field come finals, if everything falls our way over the next month the only players missing form our probable best 22 come finals will be Cam Rayner and Eric Hipwood.

Charlie has been a bit of a worry this season, he only brings his elite defensive pressure in fits and starts, needs to do it way more often, big Joe as well. Another thing I noticed today was that a few times the camera was on Lachie at the centre bounces and he looked very down/disheartened/beaten.

I can't see a flag this year for us.. if it happened though it would have to be a massive turnaround in form from the last month.
Charlie has had a bit going on off the field this year and things compounded with the loss of his grandma this week. It hasn’t been an easy year for him!

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Season done. I've been following Brisbane my whole life and these past few weeks have been the worst I have felt supporting this club. Under crazy Vossy or Loopy Leppa we had no expectations so I didn't care that we got flogged week in week out. We were meant to compete this year for the premiership. Now we are making up the numbers. But this embarrassing performance shows thst those whispers I've I've hearing all year and have been getting louder the past month are becoming an issue club wide. Fagan and his cohort need to reasses themselves big time. This season is done. Rabble.
Honestly mate… either post what your hearing or STFU with this bullshit. I feel I am not alone saying it’s getting incredibly old, quick!

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I'd tend to agree although in my opinion I think Noah Answerth fully fit is in our best 22. I reckon our defence would look a lot more solid if we had both Starcevich and Answerth locking down on the smaller opposition forwards. A real shame he has struggled with injury all season. Only turns 22 in a week so has plenty of time on his side. Hopefully he can get his body right and prime himself for a big pre season.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Charlie has had a bit going on off the field this year and things compounded with the loss of his grandma this week. It hasn’t been an easy year for him!

Funeral was this week. She passed a few weeks back

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

1627807456979.png

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Did we not kick 8 in a quarter without many changes?
Like you I think what we've done and the systems we have in place have served us well since Fagan came on board. But with the team we now have I think we need to get a bit more adventurous when we hit a form slump , or in the case that we're not quite good enough ,which is where we're at now. Maybe some of the players need a bit of a refresh.

I can see the coaches might be in a bit of a form slump as well as the players. It happens sometimes. Just an observation.

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
Piss poor effort at best , have thrown away a top four spot with no intercity no effort no care. Honestly what has become of this team last month ? A lot of these blokes not earning their pay

absolute waste of a season

vic_LION

Team Captain
Jun 6, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really disappointing game. We managed to get out of the start of the season slump and turned the season around, so there's still time. I agree 100% it's a mentality problem. Need to fire up quicker. Not the game we wanted, but reckon there could still be time over the next three weeks. All we need is to find that form by the finals.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Piss poor effort at best , have thrown away a top four spot with no intercity no effort no care. Honestly what has become of this team last month ? A lot of these blokes not earning their pay

You're thinking of Carlton irish, we're still playing finals, and are more than capable of beating any team on the day.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

They definitely care.

We've been up for 3 years ,copped a few injuries ,and now facing the reality that we may not be quite good enough to take that final step with the personnel we have.

Personally I'm incredibly proud of how far the club has come in the last 4 years . It gets harder when you're contending as one of the top teams . We've slumped in form and lost a few games. It's to be expected. This end season review will be crucial for us as to how we move forward.

And the season's not over yet.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think the loss of Daly and Noble has had a bigger effect on us than some would be willing to admit. I see North playing with the enthasiusm that we played with last year, but has been absent a lot this year.

Also, we're not good enough. Let's accept that and focus on 2021.

This is 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would've still preferred Brock Smith or Carter Michael or Tom Joyce.

Birchall shouldn't be there in 2022 and we could've seen if any of these guys are worth it.

Brock smith is a bust, as are Archie and Ely.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
They definitely care.

We've been up for 3 years ,copped a few injuries ,and now facing the reality that we may not be quite good enough to take that final step with the personnel we have.

Personally I'm incredibly proud of how far the club has come in the last 4 years . It gets harder when you're contending as one of the top teams . We've slumped in form and lost a few games. It's to be expected. This end season review will be crucial for us as to how we move forward.

And the season's not over yet.
Not what I witnessed today , absolute dross , this was not a side fighting for a top 4 spot , it w as a team showing up to get paid . Since the cats game we have dropped the bundle totally enough to be embarrassing

even 3 wins to finish won’t cut it , we have tossed away our chance for this year

Jimmy Two Hands

Team Captain
Jun 6, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks/Seattle Seahawks
We celebrating beating Adelaide (who are now 16th on the ladder) like it was a final. I know it was a big day for the club and a unique one, but it looked like we patted ourselves on the back and thought any adversity was over. Have been completely flat ever since.

Cant take much positive out of the last quarter given it was 17th place switching off after being 50+ up and getting a bit caught out.

Injuries have impacted our structure and gameplan effectiveness, but that doesnt excuse lack of intensity and effort. Hoping for a big response from the boys in the last few weeks.

Back