Review Round 20, 2021 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone interested in putting together a preview against Fremantle please let me know via PM and I'll hold the spot for you.

Otherwise you willingly settle for a less than half-arsed preview from someone who hasn't watching Fremantle play this year.

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I have just been on SEN twitter......watched a video of Davis King with Whately discussing our chances now for a flag. King says he doesn't think so..

..the thing that got me was King saying we have only won 6 qtrs of the last 16 matches. That is a deplorable stat if correct and his assessment of our flag asperations is right. No chance when put like that.
Maybe 6 matches ?

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe 6 matches ?

No, 16. He rattled off other clubs with same as us then mentioned Geelong 13 qtr, trouble is I forget which clubs they were. Perhaps someone might be able to put that video here. It was today on their twitter

edit: Embarrassment:embarrassedv1: I think I stuffed up....looked at it again. He might have meant 16qtrs not matches. Sorry peoples:tired:

oh dear.

Last edited:

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A few long term stress related issues and COVID 19 scratch matches last year has probably impeded his development. Harris as he was developing had a bagful kicked on him on occasions, and even this year McKay kicked a few on him.

Like you, I think Jack has promise, but has to get the odd pointless 15 to 20 meter kick out of his game. Might be a young guy wanting to give it to his Vice Captain or senior players such as Rich etc. Coaches should just tell him to kick it 50+ down the line to a contest when deep in defence, leave Rich and Birchall to take on the more dangerous kick or even the short passes.

In his games that I can recall, I do not remember any of his direct opponents kicking a handful of goals on him. From memory McKay kicked 3 on him last year at the GABBA, and we all know what McKay is doing. Corbett kicked 3 on him recently.

Harris is an AA, we probably all just hope Payne becomes a good reliable member of our best 22.
Jack Payne actually has a beautiful penetrating kick out of defence and I agree, the short 15-20m passes are not his best option at present. Gosh he is a big unit and has the body to develop into a serious backman able to take on the gorillas in time. We just need to get games into him so he can learn his craft in the furnace.

Jack Payne actually has a beautiful penetrating kick out of defence and I agree, the short 15-20m passes are not his best option at present. Gosh he is a big unit and has the body to develop into a serious backman able to take on the gorillas in time. We just need to get games into him so he can learn his craft in the furnace.

I'm all for Payne getting games this season. We shouldn't drop him unless he has a complete all-game howler. Bonus is he can mind the mid sized pacey forwards as well as take on Gorillas with Adams/Gardiner. He can release Andrews to entirely play the zoning role in 2022.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
our big problems.
Defence we 95% of the time do the same plan out of the back line. Hawks just setup for it first 3 qtrs.
It is either long down the line.. to the pocket and down the line.
No use having Rich and Birchall to do that kick. Hawks where buggered in the last it opened up more for us.
Suns just coughed up their lead and let us back in.. Played to safe.
Tigers and Saints did not. Nor did Demons after half time. We lost games to all the teams above us apart from Port which are our bunnies.
Have the 2 sides below us and pies to go. None be easy.

Forward we just boot it long normally into CHF and hope someone brings the ball to ground.
50% of the time the defender takes a uncontested mark. Too many forwards do not make a contest and watch the defender mark the ball.
Hippy would fly for it and bring it down.. Now we missing that.
They tagged Linc as he been our best forward in the last month. Dan had a good full game this week. He been our second best forward last few weeks.
Joe and Charlie down hill skiers lack defensive pressure.

Lack of speed.
Defense we have no one to run and carry. Birchall, Lester and Rich to slow. Think Maddens hand bothering him.
Mids
Lyons tries 110% although not fast enough to catch if they get past him. Zorko lacks the pace he once had as well although gives 110%
Neale is pretty banged up now
Clugga dropped off the last month not sure what his body like. Both him and Neale not tackling beasts.
Bailey runs more one way although can tackle if he works back.. Only young as well
Robbo tries
J Berry not ready.. Still too many stupid frees he gives away

Have 3 weeks to go..
I think we make up the numbers
hopefully Adams and Dizzy come back help us out a bit. Do we get Dev and Prior in now for someone.
Cockatoo and Berry hopefully build
Do not see anyone banging the door in the VFL.

Also not great Charlies grandma died there is life outside footy.
If he needs a week or 2 off.. Might be better for him mentally. Then to play and not really be here

Last edited:

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think it's going to take Fullarton quite a few games like the weekend for some people to lose the misconception that he can't play tall.

It was a perfectly reasonable game for a key forward
I thought Fullarton was reasonable. I thought he took a few good contested marks. Tom will run all day and his reasonably good below his knees. Lacks some pace, but still very inexperienced and at this early stage after about 9 or 10 games, the linking role is probably more suited to him as opposed to the key marking forward. McStay becomes more of a key marking forward, whilst Hippy is out.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Leppa discussing this game with Whately on SEN twitter (if someone could put it here would be awesome) talked the negatives but also a positive.....and a cheeky reminder to JDunstall about them going in the shade the day of the big comeback all those years ago.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Leppa discussing this game with Whately on SEN twitter (if someone could put it here would be awesome) talked the negatives but also a positive.....and a cheeky reminder to JDunstall about them going in the shade the day of the big comeback all those years ago.
Good clip says we only played on 25% of the time first 3 qtrs but in the last we played on at all costs, need to keep doing that.

Watching Nakia Cockatoo was a breath of fresh air. Some of his flat pinpoint kicks were so well weighted. I can see the hype now, get the man fit and out there for 2022. He adds something totally different to what we have on the field right now. With a bit more confidence he'll be huge for us, could send him in to win that crucial clearance in the middle and hit the pack hard. Rayner and Cockatoo - can't wait for 2022.

Last edited:
Watching Nakia Cockatoo was a breath of fresh air. Some of his flat pinpoint kicks were so well weighted. I can see the hype now, get the man fit and out there for 2022. He adds something totally different to what we have on the field right now. With a bit more confidence, he'll be huge for us, could send him in to win that clearance in the middle and hit the pack hard. Rayner and Cockatoo - can't wait for 2022.

A great kick but also immense pressure - it's a pretty unique combination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH they would always both be injured. Your talking about an impossible universe. If you guys are smart you don't even bring em into Vic to play, keep em north of the Murray in case they touch the curse again.
Would be the perfect solution for finals in Melbourne hey?

Back