Preview Round 20, 2021 | North Melbourne vs Geelong @ Blundstone Arena | Saturday, 31 July @ 13:15

Remove this Banner Ad

Between now and the end of the year we'll most likely want to have a look at Ford (in for Zurhaar this week is a good call by previous posters here), but also Hayden and maybe even Pat Walker. Reckon Nobes will want to see Polec play a full game too. So who needs a rest? Phillips with his schnoz will be doubtful. Simpkin, LDU and TT have been immense lately, but are they sore?
Like the Pat Walker idea. Didn't know much about him but had a look at a few videos of him in scratch matches/VFL etc - looks v promising. Great kicking action and pinpoint kick - in a major departure from our recruiting policy through much of the 2000s.

GEELONG is hopeful captain Joel Selwood will be right to take on North Melbourne on Saturday but will monitor his progress in the coming days as he recovers from a corked thigh.

Selwood was withdrawn from the game against Richmond on Sunday during the third quarter after an incident earlier in the contest with the Tigers.

The Cats now face a six-day break ahead of their clash with the Kangaroos and football manager Simon Lloyd said Selwood would be given every chance to be ready for that game.

“He obviously received the quad cork in the contest early in the game and the injury became more challenging as the game progressed,” Lloyd said.

“We received a call from the medical team ruling him out halfway through the third quarter.

“We are only a day post-game and once he has had treatment we will see how he functions before we make any call, but we will see how he is tracking in the coming days.

“It is a shorter turnaround this week, so we will give him every opportunity to get up.”

Shaun Higgins was a late withdrawal against Richmond and will be available for selection against the Kangaroos, while Jeremy Cameron is progressing nicely and continues to push for a return before finals.

Midfielder Mitch Duncan has had the knee brace removed from his leg and is on track to be ready for finals and Lloyd said the club was pleased with where that pair was at with just four home-and-away games remaining.

“Our expectation is that Jez will play (before finals),” he said.

“But our focus is on ensuring he ticks off a number of performance markers he has with our medical and conditioning team. We are really happy with how Jeremy is tracking and his progress and we expect him to plays some games prior to finals.

“Mitch is tracking along well and the brace has come off. He will start some running which will build in the coming weeks and we feel he has made excellent early progress with his rehabilitation.

“Things will ramp up now over the coming weeks, so both Jeremy and Mitch are tracking well and are where they need to be. We are hesitant to put a timeframe on either of them because we are really just focused on the day to day and ensuring they are ticking off what they need to be ready to resume.

“But our plan is they will both figure heavily at the business end of the season.”

LACHIE YOUNG

Improving Cats set for Roo ‘challenge’
GEELONG is expecting a “challenge” against a much-improved North Melbourne on Saturday as its confidence grows in the run to finals.

The Cats have firmed as premiership favourites after winning 10 of their last 11 games, including a cruisy 38-point win over Richmond on Sunday.

The latest win vaulted Geelong to second on the AFL ladder and while a top-four finish isn’t yet set in stone, the Cats are in prime position to compete for the flag.

Forward Esava Ratugolea said the Cats were getting better and better each week as prime movers Jeremy Cameron (hamstring) and Mitch Duncan (knee) work towards a return.

“We know we are not actually playing at our best at the moment so we still have a long way to go and some players to come back in,” he said.

“We definitely do take confidence out of games like (the Richmond win) but we know that we do have a long way to go and our team is getting better.”

Cats coach Chris Scott agreed that his side was “certainly in better shape now than we were two months ago or four months ago” but stopped short of declaring Geelong was at its best.

After losing its first eight games of the year, North Melbourne has only lost in five of its last 10 outings, including a thumping 39-point win over Carlton on Saturday.

Scott said he was wary of the improving Roos.

“I have watched them quite closely, they have got a few players back that have made a real difference to them and have played well,” he said.

“I think they are going to be a challenge.

“I think it would be a mistake to think we are a finished product and the way we are playing now is going to be good enough against anyone (come finals) because we have just too much respect for how difficult it is at the pointy end of the season.”

While the Cats themselves were hesitant to boast about their form, three-time flag winning Tigers coach Damien Hardwick was impressed with what he saw on Sunday.

“(Geelong is) one of the better sides in the competition, if not the best,” he said.

“My feeling is they’re only going to get better.”

Shaun Higgins (knee soreness) is set to be available for the Roos clash, while Joel Selwood (corked quad) will be monitored through the week.

After Brad Close was initially managed out of the team and then brought back in to replace Higgins, Scott said there was a chance Close would be rested.

– JOSH BARNES

There’s a risk we could win this.
Let's not go mad here. They're neck and neck with the Dogs in the fight for top spot, and the Dogs are pretty much guaranteed a win against the Camries. So Geelong are gonna have to win if they wanna stay in touch. They also from what I've seen play at their best or close to their best more consistently than any other team in the comp. Plus Danger's back to his best. Don't think we're in with a chance here. Anywhere between 4 and 8 goals I reckon. Which sits ok with me. A trying effort against a good team which doesn't disgrace us is really an ideal result

Let's not go mad here. They're neck and neck with the Dogs in the fight for top spot, and the Dogs are pretty much guaranteed a win against the Camries. So Geelong are gonna have to win if they wanna stay in touch. They also from what I've seen play at their best or close to their best more consistently than any other team in the comp. Plus Danger's back to his best. Don't think we're in with a chance here. Anywhere between 4 and 8 goals I reckon. Which sits ok with me. A trying effort against a good team which doesn't disgrace us is really an ideal result
Dream on; North in a canter by 22 points

North Melbourne will take on Geelong on Saturday afternoon at Blundstone Arena, with the first bounce at 1.15pm AEST.

Attendees will be required to wear masks at the game.

A maximum of 10,000 seated fans will be allowed to attend.

The game will be broadcast on Fox Footy.

The AFL, together with North Melbourne and the Geelong Cats, have agreed to strict travel arrangements and other protocols as approved by the Tasmanian Government. Both clubs will fly-in and fly-out for the match on Saturday via charter flight.

Ticketing information will be provided once it becomes available.

North Melbourne v Geelong
Saturday, July 31 - 1.15pm AEST
Blundstone Arena

GEELONG is hopeful captain Joel Selwood will be right to take on North Melbourne on Saturday but will monitor his progress in the coming days as he recovers from a corked thigh.

Selwood was withdrawn from the game against Richmond on Sunday during the third quarter after an incident earlier in the contest with the Tigers.

The Cats now face a six-day break ahead of their clash with the Kangaroos and football manager Simon Lloyd said Selwood would be given every chance to be ready for that game.

“He obviously received the quad cork in the contest early in the game and the injury became more challenging as the game progressed,” Lloyd said.

“We received a call from the medical team ruling him out halfway through the third quarter.

“We are only a day post-game and once he has had treatment we will see how he functions before we make any call, but we will see how he is tracking in the coming days.

“It is a shorter turnaround this week, so we will give him every opportunity to get up.”

Shaun Higgins was a late withdrawal against Richmond and will be available for selection against the Kangaroos, while Jeremy Cameron is progressing nicely and continues to push for a return before finals.

Midfielder Mitch Duncan has had the knee brace removed from his leg and is on track to be ready for finals and Lloyd said the club was pleased with where that pair was at with just four home-and-away games remaining.

“Our expectation is that Jez will play (before finals),” he said.

“But our focus is on ensuring he ticks off a number of performance markers he has with our medical and conditioning team. We are really happy with how Jeremy is tracking and his progress and we expect him to plays some games prior to finals.

“Mitch is tracking along well and the brace has come off. He will start some running which will build in the coming weeks and we feel he has made excellent early progress with his rehabilitation.

“Things will ramp up now over the coming weeks, so both Jeremy and Mitch are tracking well and are where they need to be. We are hesitant to put a timeframe on either of them because we are really just focused on the day to day and ensuring they are ticking off what they need to be ready to resume.

“But our plan is they will both figure heavily at the business end of the season.”

– LACHIE YOUNG

Improving Cats set for Roo ‘challenge’
GEELONG is expecting a “challenge” against a much-improved North Melbourne on Saturday as its confidence grows in the run to finals.

The Cats have firmed as premiership favourites after winning 10 of their last 11 games, including a cruisy 38-point win over Richmond on Sunday.

The latest win vaulted Geelong to second on the AFL ladder and while a top-four finish isn’t yet set in stone, the Cats are in prime position to compete for the flag.

Forward Esava Ratugolea said the Cats were getting better and better each week as prime movers Jeremy Cameron (hamstring) and Mitch Duncan (knee) work towards a return.

“We know we are not actually playing at our best at the moment so we still have a long way to go and some players to come back in,” he said.

“We definitely do take confidence out of games like (the Richmond win) but we know that we do have a long way to go and our team is getting better.”

Cats coach Chris Scott agreed that his side was “certainly in better shape now than we were two months ago or four months ago” but stopped short of declaring Geelong was at its best.

After losing its first eight games of the year, North Melbourne has only lost in five of its last 10 outings, including a thumping 39-point win over Carlton on Saturday.

Scott said he was wary of the improving Roos.

“I have watched them quite closely, they have got a few players back that have made a real difference to them and have played well,” he said.

“I think they are going to be a challenge.

“I think it would be a mistake to think we are a finished product and the way we are playing now is going to be good enough against anyone (come finals) because we have just too much respect for how difficult it is at the pointy end of the season.”

While the Cats themselves were hesitant to boast about their form, three-time flag winning Tigers coach Damien Hardwick was impressed with what he saw on Sunday.

“(Geelong is) one of the better sides in the competition, if not the best,” he said.

“My feeling is they’re only going to get better.”

Shaun Higgins (knee soreness) is set to be available for the Roos clash, while Joel Selwood (corked quad) will be monitored through the week.

After Brad Close was initially managed out of the team and then brought back in to replace Higgins, Scott said there was a chance Close would be rested.

– JOSH BARNES
Ixnay on the condescension there Josh “challenge”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should rest some of our veterans who look tired, in particular Goldy, Cunnington and Hall. I think we need to replace that maturity with Tyson, Campbell and Menadue.

That should do it.
Happy to give them a farewell tour

Time to start planning for 2024, great experience for the kids against G-Town.

Out: Zurhaar, Thomas, Goldstein, Cunnington, Atley & Hall

In: Ford, Comben, Bonar, Lazarro, Spicer, PWalker.

B: Ziebell - McKay - Turner
HB: Bonar - Walker - McDonald
C: Polec - Phillips - Scott
HF: Taylor - Comben - Anderson
F: Ford - Larkey - Stephenson
R: Xerri - LDU - Simpkin
I: PWalker Atu Lazarro Dumont
Sub: Spicer

Time to start planning for 2024, great experience for the kids against G-Town.

Out: Zurhaar, Thomas, Goldstein, Cunnington, Atley & Hall

In: Ford, Comben, Bonar, Lazarro, Spicer, PWalker.

B: Ziebell - McKay - Turner
HB: Bonar - Walker - McDonald
C: Polec - Phillips - Scott
HF: Taylor - Comben - Anderson
F: Ford - Larkey - Stephenson
R: Xerri - LDU - Simpkin
I: PWalker Atu Lazarro Dumont
Sub: Spicer
I didn’t even need to see the user name to know who posted this 😜

Remove this Banner Ad

Back