Autopsy Round 20, 2021 v Essendon - first win against Bombers at the MCG in 98 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Interestong that Heeney was the one who has sparked us two weeks in a row. Last week it was the spectacular mark over Luke Ryan and goal. This week it was the brilliant solo defensive effort that forced a free kick that led to a goal. We put the foot down for the rest of the quarter, kicking 6 goals in 16 minutes.

Coaches Votes:
Essendon v Sydney
9 Zach Merrett (ESS)
9 Tom Papley (SYD)
5 Jake Stringer (ESS)
5 Callum Mills (SYD)
2 Luke Parker (SYD)
22 players have afl coaches votes

Haw
Bye
Total
U22
Callum Mills​
10​
1​
2​
7​
4​
3​
10​
5​
42​
Luke Parker​
10​
8​
6​
8​
6​
2​
40​
Isaac Heeney​
3​
1​
9​
10​
4​
10​
37​
Tom Hickey​
7​
4​
3​
10​
1​
3​
3​
3​
34​
Tom Papley​
7​
1​
8​
9​
25​
Lance Franklin​
9​
8​
3​
1​
2​
23​
Jordan Dawson​
4​
4​
2​
10​
20​
Tom McCartin​
5​
3​
8​
16​
*​
Josh Kennedy​
2​
2​
2​
2​
8​
16​
Jake Lloyd​
5​
4​
4​
13​
Oliver Florent​
2​
3​
7​
12​
*​
Errol Gulden​
7​
2​
2​
11​
*​
Sam Wicks​
10​
10​
*​
Sam Reid​
8​
8​
Dane Rampe​
2​
4​
6​
Braeden Campbell​
5​
5​
*​
George Hewitt​
5​
5​
Harry Cunningham​
1​
3​
4​
Chad Warner​
2​
2​
4​
*​
Justin McInerney​
2​
2​
4​
*​
Hayden McLean​
1​
1​
2​
*​
Will Hayward​
1​
1​
*​

Errol - Swans Goal of the week

Jordan Dawson - All 5 for Swans Mark of the week

Interestong that Heeney was the one who has sparked us two weeks in a row. Last week it was the spectacular mark over Luke Ryan and goal. This week it was the brilliant solo defensive effort that forced a free kick that led to a goal. We put the foot down for the rest of the quarter, kicking 6 goals in 16 minutes.

That was an awesome effort. Wicks had a similar defensive effort early on where he stopped Essendon getting possession in a 2 on 1 contest with manic pressure.

Last edited:
That was an awesome effort. Wicks had a similar defensive effort early on where he stopped Essendon getting possession a 2 on 1 contest with manic pressure.
Heens is a star no doubt.
I'm a huge fan of Wicksy. The gap between his best and worst is pretty small. He hammers in every game and puts his body on the line. Kicks a few goals too. Won't even rate a mention for AA but on such players are premierships built.

22 players have afl coaches votes

Haw
Bye
Total
U22
Callum Mills​
10​
1​
2​
7​
4​
3​
10​
5​
42​
Luke Parker​
10​
8​
6​
6​
2​
40​
Isaac Heeney​
3​
1​
9​
10​
4​
10​
37​
Tom Hickey​
7​
4​
3​
10​
1​
3​
3​
3​
34​
Tom Papley​
7​
1​
8​
9​
25​
Lance Franklin​
9​
8​
3​
1​
2​
23​
Jordan Dawson​
4​
4​
2​
10​
20​
Tom McCartin​
5​
3​
8​
16​
*​
Josh Kennedy​
2​
2​
2​
2​
8​
16​
Jake Lloyd​
5​
4​
4​
13​
Oliver Florent​
2​
3​
7​
12​
*​
Errol Gulden​
7​
2​
2​
11​
*​
Sam Wicks​
10​
10​
*​
Sam Reid​
8​
8​
Dane Rampe​
2​
4​
6​
Braeden Campbell​
5​
5​
*​
George Hewitt​
5​
5​
Harry Cunningham​
1​
3​
4​
Chad Warner​
2​
2​
4​
*​
Justin McInerney​
2​
2​
4​
*​
Hayden McLean​
1​
1​
2​
*​
Will Hayward​
1​
1​
*​

Certainly confirms Parker's hot form of late.

Hickey pre bye is ridiculous!

1. Loved how we tried to find targets with our short kicking when we couldn't move the ball quickly. In past years we would bomb it long down the line for reid/sinclair.

2. Centre clearances - An issue again BUT the coaches tried something different by putting Jmac into the middle. I liked it as he offered a point of difference with his acceleration and quick first steps. He's obviously undersized atm to be placed in the centre on a regular basis but don't mind him pinch hitting once Warner returns. Jmac had 6 clearances (1 centre clearance and 5 stoppage clearances).

3. Stringer dominated when moved to the centre, think we missed a trick by not putting Heeney on him. Heeney has the physicality/acceleration to match and beat stringer imo.

4. Want to see our coaches continue to experiment with the makeup of centre bounce attendance. Hewitt/Mills/Kennedy/Parker, max only 2 of those players should attend each centre bounce. I would have atleast one of the following at each centre bounce: Heeney/Papley/Warner/Jmac. Leaving Rowie out as I think he's cooked for this year.

5. Need to fix our starts, once again it wasn't up to standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not surprising though. I think he has overtaken Buddy as the best player on our list.

Dawson was the most influential player on the ground imo.
Wow, someone else was watching the game. Dawson was tremendous all the way through, cannot believe he did not figure in the coaches votes.
Reid added something back and forward which is a real plus for the overall balance of the side.

Centre bounces: 37
Sydney
Player
TOG
CBA
CBA%
Tom Hickey​
86%​
33​
89%​
Callum Mills​
81%​
29​
78%​
Luke Parker​
73%​
26​
70%​
Justin McInerney​
84%​
21​
57%​
Josh P. Kennedy​
63%​
21​
57%​
George Hewett​
77%​
10​
27%​
Sam Reid​
81%​
4​
11%​
Errol Gulden​
77%​
2​
5%​
Isaac Heeney​
92%​
1​
3%​
Oliver Florent​
70%​
1​
3%​

Kick-ins (play on): Jake Lloyd 6 (6)

Isn’t consistent enough IMO

Highlights reel then yer maybe but imo he hasn’t past Kennedy, Parker , paps even mills

To each their own I guess. I think he's plenty consistent but unlike those guys, not every great Heeney performance looks the same.

Your forgetting some of Kennedy’s performances

I think Kennedy's been great since the bye and have mentioned that several times in recent weeks. Absolutely loving the way he's playing atm, and Buddy is the only current Swan with a greater career than JPK.

But I think Heeney's the better player now. I don't think there's anyone on our list who can do all of the things Heeney does, let alone a 34 year old in the twilight of his career haha

1. Loved how we tried to find targets with our short kicking when we couldn't move the ball quickly. In past years we would bomb it long down the line for reid/sinclair.

2. Centre clearances - An issue again BUT the coaches tried something different by putting Jmac into the middle. I liked it as he offered a point of difference with his acceleration and quick first steps. He's obviously undersized atm to be placed in the centre on a regular basis but don't mind him pinch hitting once Warner returns. Jmac had 6 clearances (1 centre clearance and 5 stoppage clearances).

3. Stringer dominated when moved to the centre, think we missed a trick by not putting Heeney on him. Heeney has the physicality/acceleration to match and beat stringer imo.

4. Want to see our coaches continue to experiment with the makeup of centre bounce attendance. Hewitt/Mills/Kennedy/Parker, max only 2 of those players should attend each centre bounce. I would have atleast one of the following at each centre bounce: Heeney/Papley/Warner/Jmac. Leaving Rowie out as I think he's cooked for this year.

5. Need to fix our starts, once again it wasn't up to standard.
No way Henry can match Stringers acceleration, it’s the one thing Heeney lacks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back