Autopsy Round 20, 2022: Hawthorn leave it late against the Aints

Remove this Banner Ad

There would be a cost, but it would fast-track our younger players and I am OK with another development year. Hardwick, Sicily, O'Meara, Wingard, Impey, Frost and Phillips are all experienced players. Moore, Lewis, Scrimshaw and Morrison are not far away from being experienced. I reckon we would get by.
The above are experienced players but none of them have lived experience of what it takes to win multiple premierships at the Hawks (or anywhere for that matter). Seems a real waste of a precious resource (for want of a better term) to cut Breust, Gunston, McEvoy and Shiels in the one year.

I'd keep at least two on the list for the next year or two, provided their form warrants it, given how valuable they are as mentors/player coaches. The younger players routinely mention how much they've been helped by them.

Only when he says things we like to hear
He under rates the rebuild to date, he is correct about the older blokes, and he has every right, but let’s face it, it will take some considerable time and we have only just started the journey. A journey of small steps, two steps forward and one step back. As long as it is collective advancement then we are on the right path despite the opinions of Mr Cornes.

As my son often says, “Kane is cast as the controversy because he is prepared to say the controversial and makes for better TV”

Last edited:
I would keep O'Meara, but would be quite comfortable if the other four decide to hang up their boots or try their luck elsewhere. Breust and Gunston are still capable of having a day out but they don't do enough each week. McEvoy puts in but he is no longer an effective ruck (was never top-tier). Mitchell's distribution is way to iffy and he only has one gear.
Bruest not consistent …even now…
Bruest will kick 40 for this year mate. Gee.
yep Bruest has been one of our best often

Personally, I'd like to avoid having Breust and Gunston finish up the same season, should it be an option. Of course I'm no master coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t remember seeing it, but fair. Could have caused some damage.

I saw it - wouldn’t have happened if the umpire had made the first call. Dead set htb every day of the week

Don’t think cj did much there. Omeara was the one pushing the player forward and Cj coming in just changed the angle of descent.
Yes that's the challenge aspect, say JOM caused the bulk of the momentum. CJ just carried it forward a bit.
Surely he gets off. Plus Steele didn't even feel it.
You get harder head knocks trying to get the last lettuce at Coles!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back