Review Round 20, 2022 - Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Were we really the better side last week though ML? Granted we played our best footy for a long time in the first quarter.

Second was pretty even although you could get the sense before half time they were just starting to get on top.

Third quarter. Pantsed. Enough said.

Fourth quarter. Certainly had some chances to ice it and missed some sitters (Hugh/Robbo in particular) but I always felt with their extra run that they were more likely and were finding easier avenues to goal.

Anyway probably time to move on from that game. Team list Thursday so let’s see what tonight brings, although hate Sunday games with the extended squad.
Yeah I thought we were.

No excuse's can hide the fact we had a winning lead and let it slip through our hands although some umpiring decisions along with inaccurate kicking costs us at pretty important times in the 2nd half.

Agree with moving on...dont really expect too many surprises in selections but sure there will be melts from some.

The one where McCarthy kicked the goal really hurt.

We needed it and it was a total prima donna performance. Aren't you meant to cop a whack for staging ?
You're supposed to.
Maybe we need a flamboyant youngster to start doing the same thing as these guys have been doing for years for the AFL to start actually enforcing it?

I kinda got over the sub thing once Fagan acknowledged that it was a mistake, which it was.

If we can’t squeeze Lohmann into the best 22, maybe he will come in as sub (subject to who we have returning from injury).
People keep bringing it up. I don't think it'll happen again.

I'm one of those who thinks we wouldn't lose much and could potentially gain more by bringing Lohmann in.

He looks a special talent . Obviously off limited less pressure games.

People keep bringing it up. I don't think it'll happen again.

I'm one of those who thinks we wouldn't lose much and could potentially gain more by bringing Lohmann in.

He looks a special talent . Obviously off limited less pressure games.

Who are you taking out for Lohmann

Who are you taking out for Lohmann
I'm presuming Bailey doesn't come up. Will Berry come up ?

Prior for Robbo.

If everyone comes up , which you wouldn't expect, then it's an issue who misses out . And we don't have any history on biting the bullet on these things.

Prior for Robbo.

If everyone comes up , which you wouldn't expect, then it's an issue who misses out . And we don't have any history on biting the bullet on these things.

Just with Lohmann, Charlie, Linc and the 3 key forwards really limits our flexibility

Just with Lohmann, Charlie, Linc and the 3 key forwards really limits our flexibility
I presume we'll once again we'll go with the 3 keys.

But it was noticeable the Tigers were more flexible and able to swing things around more to turn the game.

Rioli coming on actually helped them.

Lohmann seemed to cover a lot of ground in the reserves.

The 3 tall forward gameplan doesn’t work when 2/3 go for the same mark and the other 3 small forwards don’t crumb because they too think they are tall and go for speccies.

I also think that our delivery to the forwards relies on clean hands because we NEVER have a player crumbing.

Just had a look at a hand full of our recent matches on the Telstra tracker and we were below our opposition for distance covered and work rate for pretty much all the games I looked at.

Notably against the Tiges the top 5 players for distance covered at speed were all Richmond players.

Pretty damning but not overly surprising really, it has been a noticeable problem of late.

That's a trend that goes back to at least last year and I don't think it corresponds with a win or loss. We regularly would cover less distance than our opposition and part of that would be our kick to handball ratio. The only thing I could find was when we were faster in defence we pretty much always won.

If we had played a hard fought game with 100 lead changes and no one getting out to more than a 10 point lead for four quarters and had just fallen short by 7 points right at the end then ouch but it happens. This is so much more painful because we were so far in front. Now I am sure that the Tiger folks are as delighted in the turn around as we were at the Miracle on Grass but I can't say that I follow this sport for the joy it gives to our opponents!!!

We seem to like 'teaching moments' ... I hope that the teaching included exactly what was done wrong and exactly what could have been done right so it doesn't happen again rather than just learning an ephemeral 'yes we need to maintain our focus when we get out to a big lead and yes that did suck didn't it and if you don't want to feel like that again don't do it again ok?' It would be nice if the teaching also filtered through to the game day coaching aspects ... when the oppo tries this and that isn't working what could be have done to stop it, why didn't we, when to pull the trigger next time etc.

Wing AttendanceRound 20RichmondMCG
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
J.Berry
4​
4​
7​
2​
5​
4​
26​
39.39%​
Robinson
3​
5​
5​
5​
2​
2​
2​
24​
36.36%​
Bailey
3​
1​
2​
6​
9.09%​
McCluggage
1​
1​
2​
3.03%​
McCarthy
1​
3​
4​
6.06%​
Zorko
2​
2​
4​
6.06%​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prior for Robbo.

We could push Bailey back, drop Answerth and slot Lohmann forward.

Bailey could be sent forward as a surprise factor during games, we need Ah Chee and Prior playing so they can cover defense at that time.

Back