Review Round 20, 2022 - Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Eric's press conference today was a lot like some of Fagan's post match interviews including Richmond haven't been getting enough credit and are a good team, there were positives out of the game and the kicker that the ladder doesn't represent where the Lions are at and the tough stretch of games coming up is the perfect way to prepare for September. I didn't by any of it.

Eric's press conference today was a lot like some of Fagan's post match interviews including Richmond haven't been getting enough credit and are a good team, there were positives out of the game and the kicker that the ladder doesn't represent where the Lions are at and the tough stretch of games coming up is the perfect way to prepare for September. I didn't by any of it.

Usually the players have been a bit more harsh about our performances but they really shouldn't be put in that position

I look forward to seeing the same post after we get knocked out of finals

"This 80 point loss to Melbourne is just the wakeup call we need before heading into our elimination final against Richmond at the MCG!" -Fagan

ML with respect I completely disagree. I've seen many teams capable of turning it on for a half especially if the opposition was as poor as Richmond was then. You need strength , mental application and a proper team defence strategy to win games against top sides.

Dominating opposition teams for a half is useless if you can't protect your domination when you're not going so hot.

I'd give it up on Fort . He was ok against GC against lesser opposition. Flogging a dead horse there.
You forgot to say.... in your opinion. ;)

Watching parts of the 2nd half makes me want to claw my eyes out. Cam Rayner has no future in the midfield if he isn't willing to defend. He was bad, actually worse than bad... Atrocious at any sort of defensive plays. Just no desire to defend and always hang off the pack on the attacking side. Unsure if this is a coaching thing or if players make their own decisions.

Richmond also shut off the corridor which once again we showed we have no in game plan b. They hit packs harder, they came in aggressive from both D50 and F50 from centre bounces, we plodded in. We were deep in D50 as well. Bolton took off multiple times and got in the gap between midfield and Defence which drew us forward and left harris 1v1.

This was very much an effort loss, probably over confident with the score line being such a margin.

Harris also looks cooked. You can be slow and still look like you're putting in effort running, but he jogs....

Big offseason needed for Kiddy with his Tank. Will be a massive asset to our team next year if he can run out the entire match

Watching parts of the 2nd half makes me want to claw my eyes out. Cam Rayner has no future in the midfield if he isn't willing to defend. He was bad, actually worse than bad... Atrocious at any sort of defensive plays. Just no desire to defend and always hang off the pack on the attacking side. Unsure if this is a coaching thing or if players make their own decisions.

Richmond also shut off the corridor which once again we showed we have no in game plan b. They hit packs harder, they came in aggressive from both D50 and F50 from centre bounces, we plodded in. We were deep in D50 as well. Bolton took off multiple times and got in the gap between midfield and Defence which drew us forward and left harris 1v1.

This was very much an effort loss, probably over confident with the score line being such a margin.

Harris also looks cooked. You can be slow and still look like you're putting in effort running, but he jogs....

Big offseason needed for Kiddy with his Tank. Will be a massive asset to our team next year if he can run out the entire match
Harris Andrews has been insipid for a couple of years. He refuses to fly and go for his marks and does not put his body on the line. His refuses to body spoil and often just reaches over and waves his arm at the ball without impacting the contest. His body language is also sooo negative, continually looks defeated which must have a negative impact on his team mates.

If his name wasn't Harris Andrews, he'd have been dropped a long time ago.

Time to give Payne a go in his place.

Haven't heard it . Got a text from a PP with significant knowledge in the game who said if that's what they think we've got no hope. Who is feeding them this stuff ?

My only observation is why put a young guy in this situation. Just let them play and leave the insights into how we're going to those who are paid to be the face of the club.

Haven't heard it . Got a text from a PP with significant knowledge in the game who said if that's what they think we've got no hope. Who is feeding them this stuff ?

My only observation is why put a young guy in this situation. Just let them play and leave the insights into how we're going to those who are paid to be the face of the club.
My phones going off with laughing emojis.

Looks like the club doesn't see it the same way as supporters.

Small correction but I believe he was saying the ladder wasn’t representative of where Richmond are at as a team (not us).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I look forward to seeing the same post after we get knocked out of finals
Hudson's summary on Youtube was just as nauseating - apparently we'll learn from it. We hear that after every loss yet when we lose the next time I think back to the last time we were told we'd learn from it. Or is different that next time and the next time etc etcera? Quite hilarious really.

Excuse my ignorance but whats a PP?

The responses from the club to this week are at the nutty end of the spectrum .

Whatever Fages said the effort against Essendon wasn't sufficiently there and they completely misfired from the coaches box on gameday. Which cost us the match.

Against the Tigers we know things went wrong and players were down but at the heart of it we choked.

It's all cool . Just fess up that we need to get better. All this drivel about how well we did and how good the opposition are is nauseating.

Harris Andrews has been insipid for a couple of years. He refuses to fly and go for his marks and does not put his body on the line. His refuses to body spoil and often just reaches over and waves his arm at the ball without impacting the contest. His body language is also sooo negative, continually looks defeated which must have a negative impact on his team mates.

If his name wasn't Harris Andrews, he'd have been dropped a long time ago.

Time to give Payne a go in his place.
I agree with the bolded.

I have felt something has been badly off with Harris for the past two seasons.

If what I have read here is true, he has arthritis in both knees and his knees are shot.

If true, that explains everything.

All I can feel now for Harris, is sympathy.

Sounds like Eric is trying to stay positive instead of raising the white flag.

What would you prefer him to say?

"We blew it big time, we can't win on the MCG, we probably will lose at least 2 out of the last 3 and Fages is a deadshit"

We've got Carlton this week and I'm going to the game to support my team.

I'm a 27 year Lions member and I was as sickened as anyone by that loss to Richmond. But it's time to move on and quit the negative vibes.

Mistakes were made in that gut wrenching loss and I think they have been acknowledged by the players and the coach.

Get behind the club .

Go LIONS

It honestly makes me laugh that people expect club officials and players to mirror the defeatist emotional analysis on BigFooty.
Yeah ,some of the knee-jerk, sky is falling , oh woe is us crap makes me ill.

God help some of the contributors around here if we really hit on bad times again ala Bears circa late 80' early 90'S or the agonisingly bad Leppa years when we were so terrible as to be totally irrelevant

It honestly makes me laugh that people expect club officials and players to mirror the defeatist emotional analysis on BigFooty.
Reality isn't defeatist emotional.

We're all optimistic and still in it. Even if we play poorly , make mistakes and choke it doesn't mean it's not rectifiable and we can't do a whole lot better next time.

Everyone understands the difficulty and luck required to be successful. But pumping yourself up when you've been fair at best just doesn't wash.

Suck it up. It's a lot easier psychologically to get better if you accept you've been ordinary than to pretend you were good.

When we get to finals it's another level of effort required to win matches. Positive talk won't do the job.

Yeah ,some of the knee-jerk, sky is falling , oh woe is us crap makes me ill.

God help some of the contributors around here if we really hit on bad times again ala Bears circa late 80' early 90'S or the agonisingly bad Leppa years when we were so terrible as to be totally irrelevant
during the leppa years i kind of tuned out. watched every game but expecting a loss every weekend kind of numbed me to how bad the club was going

now that we are in the highs again, the club is a lot more capable of disappointing me. but also brings a lot more joy than it used to by the same token

Back