Review Round 20, 2023 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If someone in any other workplace applied a squirrel grip on another person, all hell would break loose.

I've found this is also true in my workplace if I try to take a specky on somebody or lay a bump. World's gone soft.

Well I’ll be!
They actually did it!

It was the before and after shots that clinched it.

Really they just wanted Dayne to stop sending the pics to their phones.

Seems like the AFL has really treated this "unbecoming" incident with far less diligence than what would seem appropriate. Zorko's on field communication to the umpires should have been the trigger to at least have the MRO report something about the incident. The one-match suspension seems grossly inadequate and smacks of a "negotiated" outcome that included a Touk Miller apology. I would love to know what the Club's internal take on it has been.

Very unlike the AFL regarding Miller. One of their golden children does something very no-go against a player that they dislike because he causes problems and doesn’t match the nice image they would like. (Not defending some of his past actions by the way.)

Quite surprised. There might have turned out to be some pretty good evidence and what could be considered sexual harassment wouldn’t look good on top of the ignoring concussion protocols saga.

Beating Barrett to the punch:
IF the AFL has too many scandals and dramas in a week to sweep them all under the rug…THEN they need to either deal with them properly or buy a bigger rug.

Miller's a complete grub. I wish he played for us.

I remember watching the Zorko/Miller game where Zorks refused to shake hands with a couple of hardnuts from the Fitzroy era and one of them said we should do whatever we can to get hold of that guy. Because he had the cohunas to take on the only guy in our team who was likely to do to them what he was doing to us.

A bit surprised he got caught in full view doing his thing. 1 match is a joke all things considered. If he did it and admits it how is 1 match adequate when you get a game or 2 for a legit tackle where no harm is intended.

But he's a great player to have on your team.

Seems like the AFL has really treated this "unbecoming" incident with far less diligence than what would seem appropriate. Zorko's on field communication to the umpires should have been the trigger to at least have the MRO report something about the incident. The one-match suspension seems grossly inadequate and smacks of a "negotiated" outcome that included a Touk Miller apology. I would love to know what the Club's internal take on it has been.
Reading the AFL statement about the suspension is comical. The MRO apparently only decided to relook at the vision after Zorko spoke out about it, in other words when they were embarrassed in the media. After relooking at the vision they suddenly saw it differently and decided it was worth one week,which is an absolute joke incidentally.

felt like nearly all gold coasts shots were high % ones whereas ours were closer to 50/50 ones

not trying to excuse poor kicking but we conceded marks / scoring shots from far more dangerous spots on the ground than the gold coast defenders did
Expected score 98-73. So yes, even tho we were inaccurate compared to expectations, so were Gold Coast. Despite kicking 15-6 they also missed a lot of shots completely that were quite gettable.

Miller's a complete grub. I wish he played for us.

I remember watching the Zorko/Miller game where Zorks refused to shake hands with a couple of hardnuts from the Fitzroy era and one of them said we should do whatever we can to get hold of that guy. Because he had the cohunas to take on the only guy in our team who was likely to do to them what he was doing to us.

A bit surprised he got caught in full view doing his thing. 1 match is a joke all things considered. If he did it and admits it how is 1 match adequate when you get a game or 2 for a legit tackle where no harm is intended.

But he's a great player to have on your team.
I don’t think they’ve admitted it at all. Probably would’ve been more than a week if he did?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really, just don’t understand why the Suns always get a run on a Lions podcast and I get we played them but for Fish to bang on about them as long as he did in addition to most weeks I find odd. I couldn’t care less about them and if I wanted content about other teams I’d listen to a general afl podcast.

They generally talk about the opposition, this just happens to be a team that one of them knows quite well and sharing what King said after the match was good to hear.

The more I see of your posts the more I realise this must actually be trolling?
If not, don't listen to their podcast if it's such an issue for you. Impossible to please McIvor...

Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong, Melbourne, St Kilda, Carlton etc we clearly go in with a plan and comprehensively win (or should have won in the case of the Melbourne MCG game).

I said it a few weeks ago, but I have a feeling we’re focussing in on the big games against “good” teams and assuming the “easier” games will take care of themselves.

Which is all well and good except they’re not taking care of themselves. We’ve won all of our hard games this year so far, if we’d won even half of the “easy” games we should have we’d be on top. It’s the only thing that’s giving me hope for finals still, in that there won’t be any “easy” teams to get complacent against. I’ll reserve judgement until the Collingwood rd 23 game though
This is the difference between hunting and being the hunted which I have addressed on more than one occasion.

This is the difference between hunting and being the hunted which I have addressed on more than one occasion.

I think it contributes to the group think that our coaches aren't great strategically. We don't have to be to beat the bottom teams but the bottom teams do. Most weeks they can't execute but when they do their coaches look like geniuses and the coaches of the better team look like dummies

Some damning footage on The First Crack pointing out our inability to run on transition, Neale and McCarthy were highlighted, it didn't look like a lack of effort to me, they just did not have the pace or endurance to run long and hard, they were physically spent .... Touk Miller torched Lachie on transition.
Yep, glad you highlighted this.

Saturday's match was a glowing tribute to the raft of apologists within the club, on social media and on this forum who have spent much of the season spouting rubbish like "oh, the game was over so we put the cue in the rack in the last quarter" and "oh well, they're a good team so they were always gonna come at us".

By that very logic, we evidently are not a good team, because there was no "coming" at the Suns in the last quarter on Saturday. In fact it was quite the opposite... They ran all over the top of us.

Yes it is most likely true that the lack of a midfield rotation didn't help, which I addressed in the preview thread. But our growing body of work for season 2023 demonstrates pretty clearly that we are simply not fit enough to run out 4 quarters of footy. And it is just so stark when you sit up high behind the goals, and see it happen live in front of you, as I have for 19 games this season.

I like the 3 tall forward line setup from a structural point of view. But our players no longer have the fitness to make it work. This is not something that can be resolved between now and 30 September so will have to be top of the agenda from the first day of preseason, if not before.

Until then, we should be playing with 2 tall forwards and playing the extra small to allow us to cover the ground better.

I come in peace but wondering how you guys actually feel about the miller nut grab. It seems to me it was a tackle that went wrong not a premeditated squirrel grip. If it was under a pack and he's deliberately gone for that region I'd completely understand but watching the vision it seems like he's just grabbed onto whatever he could in the tackle. If you go for a mark and knee someone in the head it is deemed as a football act and I see this as similar. Yeah I might be biased just don't see the big deal.
I don't think you see too many tackles where one arm goes to a completely different part of the body than the other arm does.

Yep, glad you highlighted this.

Saturday's match was a glowing tribute to the raft of apologists within the club, on social media and on this forum who have spent much of the season spouting rubbish like "oh, the game was over so we put the cue in the rack in the last quarter" and "oh well, they're a good team so they were always gonna come at us".

By that very logic, we evidently are not a good team, because there was no "coming" at the Suns in the last quarter on Saturday. In fact it was quite the opposite... They ran all over the top of us.

Yes it is most likely true that the lack of a midfield rotation didn't help, which I addressed in the preview thread. But our growing body of work for season 2023 demonstrates pretty clearly that we are simply not fit enough to run out 4 quarters of footy. And it is just so stark when you sit up high behind the goals, and see it happen live in front of you, as I have for 19 games this season.

I like the 3 tall forward line setup from a structural point of view. But our players no longer have the fitness to make it work. This is not something that can be resolved between now and 30 September so will have to be top of the agenda from the first day of preseason, if not before.

Until then, we should be playing with 2 tall forwards and playing the extra small to allow us to cover the ground better.
Careful now, you might get labeled as one of the negative nellies on here (gees I hope you don't, because you provide extensive data to back up your views), and there's a few posters who don't like others posting "I told you so" type posts.

Just imagine if Zorko had've done that.

SM and the footy media would've lit up . Including quite a few on this forum.

Usually those sort of actions are hard to get on film , it's mostly in the middle of a pack or Roger Merritt style behind play.

This is as clear as a bell with no mitigating circumstances. I'm dumbfounded he didn't get cited and sent straight to the Tribunal. Just no rational explanation for that
Especially given Zorko asked the umpire to put it in his match report.

Careful now, you might get labeled as one of the negative nellies on here (gees I hope you don't, because you provide extensive data to back up your views), and there's a few posters who don't like others posting "I told you so" type posts.
This is fair. Maybe my comments were a little strong. I still love you all, I'd still have a beer with you all, and I'm very aware that I spout more than my fair share of rubbish from time to time 😂🤦

It's attitude not fitness. Seem to be perfectly fine/full of run when things are going our way. :p

Well I’ll be!
They actually did it!

I must admit, I normally don't give a stuff what happens to opposition players at the tribunal after a game against us. The game is done, it doesn't affect us any more, end of story. I even wanted Patrick Cripps to get off after his hit on Ah Chee last year, cos I wanted Carlton to beat Melbourne the next week (that went well 😂).

But this was too far. Lucky to only be 1 week. Appalling behaviour.

This is fair. Maybe my comments were a little strong. I still love you all, I'd still have a beer with you all, and I'm very aware that I spout more than my fair share of rubbish from time to time 😂🤦
No keep going. I agree with the majority of your posts. I've just reached the jaded stage of BigFooty.

Grasshopper does some good analysis IMO. Even if you don’t agree with his opinions or consider them ‘negative’, he doesn’t come in a pop off shots against certain players that he doesn’t like. His criticism is usually backed up by facts, the validity of stats can be argued until the cows come home of course. But I have also seen him change his opinion when presented with new information, which is something many fans will not do unfortunately.

Back