AFL Toast Round 20: 48 point win against norf

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question - has there been a good/bearable lead commentator since Dennis Commetti and Rex Hunt? Seriously they are all absolute trash. Especially Dwayne Russell. The guy doesn't understand how intonation works. Everything he says is spoken like it's either a huge unexpected surprise ('JONES takes the mark!'), or like something is happening for the fifth time in a row ('now HE kicks it out on the full') when it's just happened one time. At least he can actually talk I guess - Alistair Lynch struggles to get words out from the muscles at the back of his neck.

Some good special comments folk (Jordan Lewis, Daisy Pearce). Eddie Betts is learning the role, very green at the moment but I like his enthusiasm.
Bruce. Maybe not his last couple of years but he was the master. Had to admire his passion.

Rex’s trademark was a bloodcurdling scream into the microphone, I don’t call that bearable
Rex is an interesting case. Did not like him as a TV caller. Could not listen to him if he was calling an Essendon game and I wanted to know what was going on but I loved listening to him call a neutral game that I had no real stake in the result.

Rex is an interesting case. Did not like him as a TV caller. Could not listen to him if he was calling an Essendon game and I wanted to know what was going on but I loved listening to him call a neutral game that I had no real stake in the result.
he had some classic one liners though!

The girls happy, I got my rocks off, she got paid. How good is this!

Also, I find Dennis Commetti annoying, not funny. Trying to jam in his pre-written material gave me the shits, especially in close games.
Denis freestyle was always great when the game was electric.
Bruce and denis still the best combo in last 30 odd years.

Luke darcy
Brad Johnson
Alistair lynch
Nick riewoldt
Luke hodge
Jobe (sorry jobe)
Cameron ling
Nick riewoldt
Matthew richardson
Nick riewoldt
I like Riewoldt. At least he makes sense to me. Also Richo and Hodge. The rest of that list are awful.

I kind of don't care if the commentator has played the game, deep knowledge + skill as a caller should be the baseline. It feels like all we have these days is some knowledge but not a lot of skilled callers.
Someone needs to clone Commetti.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question - has there been a good/bearable lead commentator since Dennis Commetti and Rex Hunt? Seriously they are all absolute trash. Especially Dwayne Russell. The guy doesn't understand how intonation works. Everything he says is spoken like it's either a huge unexpected surprise ('JONES takes the mark!'), or like something is happening for the fifth time in a row ('now HE kicks it out on the full') when it's just happened one time. At least he can actually talk I guess - Alistair Lynch struggles to get words out from the muscles at the back of his neck.

Some good special comments folk (Jordan Lewis, Daisy Pearce). Eddie Betts is learning the role, very green at the moment but I like his enthusiasm.
Dwayne commentates like he's calling Rugby League. "Parker, Mills, gives it off to Heeney, back to Mills, to Papley..." That combined with his monotone delivery makes for boring as batshit call.

Will never understand the Bruce love. He was hot garbage.
Early 2000's Bruce was good. The best play by play currently on TV , for me are:

Anthony Hudson, Brenton Speed, Jason Bennett, Adam Pappalia (sp?), Kelli Underwood

I know Kelli isn't popular but I think she's pretty solid

Early 2000's Bruce was good. The best play by play currently on TV , for me are:

Anthony Hudson, Brenton Speed, Jason Bennett, Adam Pappalia (sp?), Kelli Underwood

I know Kelli isn't popular but I think she's pretty solid
Anthony Hudson is the Gold standard, Bennett the rising star for mine.

Agree Underwood is too heavily scrutinised. Calls what she sees and doesn't try and oversell a narrative or be a special comments person either, which is the job of a play by play caller.

The cadence of a commentators voice doesn't worry me, the gimmicky phrases and fake arousal they come up with to try and emulate Cometti and Roberts do.

Those two (Cometti and Roberts) were the best of both worlds.

I'm especially annoyed with Dwayne Russell's pre-fab calling of what could be Sam Draper's goal of the year. Clearly something he'd prepared earlier and wanted to insert into the call, made no sense and didn't fit the play at all. 'He enticed 'em, he sliced 'em, he diced 'em!'. What is an amazing highlight of football for dons fans is forever tainted with that crap.

I'm especially annoyed with Dwayne Russell's pre-fab calling of what could be Sam Draper's goal of the year. Clearly something he'd prepared earlier and wanted to insert into the call, made no sense and didn't fit the play at all. 'He enticed 'em, he sliced 'em, he diced 'em!'. What is an amazing highlight of football for dons fans is forever tainted with that crap.
Even the triple m boys distorted screaming was better

Will never understand the Bruce love. He was hot garbage.
100 times this. He was absolute trash and utterly unbearable. Solely responsible for some of the cringiest s**t ever produced. I still shudder when I think about him calling Hodge "Hodgey", or caressing yet another platitude down Cyril's throat

Surprised Huddo hasn't received more love in here.
Was one of my favourites for a long period of time.

His commentary of the Nick Davis 4th quarter vs Geelong I also think goes to the next level when you factor in that he's a Geelong fan.

100 times this. He was absolute trash and utterly unbearable. Solely responsible for some of the cringiest s**t ever produced. I still shudder when I think about him calling Hodge "Hodgey", or caressing yet another platitude down Cyril's throat
Not to mention Poppy.

I think he was alright up to the mid/late 90s but then gradually became annoying through to unbearable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back