AFL Toast Round 20: 8 Point win against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Take out the last two weeks and Hooker had kicked 32.17 for the season.

In summary. CHILL.

True, He's had a shocker of a fortnight but let's look at the context of his season. All forwards go through slumps, I'll back him to get back on track.

Hooker kept us alive in that last quarter. If he wasn't clunking those marks then there is every chance that Carlton could have rebounded out of defence and got the ball I50. Yes, he was missing the shots but I think he effectively won us the game.

His run up almost looks like he's gonna fall over.
He has two different run ups and action and I can tell with a very good degree of success when he starts running up when he will miss. Surely the club have noticed this. Look at the last quarter against North. When he slows down his run up and doesn't try to pop the ball upon kicking he kicks it well and it looks so natural. When he runs at pace however...

Take out the last two weeks and Hooker had kicked 32.17 for the season.

In summary. CHILL.

True, He's had a shocker of a fortnight but let's look at the context of his season. All forwards go through slumps, I'll back him to get back on track.

I'd never have confidence in Hooker's kicking from outside 25 because he hardly looks like he knows what is coming. Sometimes he runs at the goal, sometimes he doesn kicks across his body. He fades the ball as much as he hooks.

He's basically like Casboult in the sense that the basic mechanics are so flawed that consistency is unlikely to follow.

Like I said, it doesn't really matter that much because he gets so much of the ball in and around 20 out.

I didn't doubt Daniher because the basic mechanics were that of a pure kicking action. Once he settled on a routine and learned to think his way through a kick it would come good (and it has).

that whole taking a sighter with one eye closed just looks ridiculous. But he has a routine so that's good. If he can get his s**t together it will be amazing, as people have said above he is a real force in the forward line and having another big marking target is invaluable for Joe

We didn't kick a goal in the last qtr of the Round 3 game. Add that to the 2nd qtr of the weekend's game and you get two...
Ahh gotcha... I was only thinking about the weekend just gone... my "thoughs" call stands though

Name another tall on our list who could generate 8 shots on goal at this level?

Hookers marking is back among the best in the comp and he's not even at his personal best yet, But it's getting there, His kicking needs to improve yes but it's not as bad as people are making out just like Joey at the start of the season.

If we clicked just once this season our opponent would get obliterated, We aren't far off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hookers marking is back among the best in the comp and he's not even at his personal best yet, But it's getting there, His kicking needs to improve yes but it's not as bad as people are making out just like Joey at the start of the season.

If we clicked just once this season our opponent would get obliterated, We aren't far off.
inb4 we click on Saturday

It's not really in issue is it? He should absolutely be playing forward. It's just unlikely that he'll be a reliable shot on goal.

As frustrating as Hooker's misses are, he is absolutely one of the main reasons why we've scored the third most out of any team this season despite our midfield being quite ordinary.

Now way is he leaving the forward line. His contested marks are a great asset to us up forward. He's also the reason why Daniher isn't being triple teamed right now.

If only there was a way to fix his kicking.

Hooker kept us alive in that last quarter. If he wasn't clunking those marks then there is every chance that Carlton could have rebounded out of defence and got the ball I50. Yes, he was missing the shots but I think he effectively won us the game.

There was method in his madness, chipped away 1 point at a time and kept it in our forward 50.

#forwardpresscumclunk

Well I respectfully disagree with your opinion - This is a problem endemic to a number of sporting forums, not just Big Footy - You use the word entitled - I see irony in that a poster who watches little of a game ( at the time of posting ) feels the need to post about the game - That is entitled.

It is a forum. If you are willing to have your opinions challenged then you can posy what you want. It is not a match review for the HS.
I could argue those who do not see the game live and then watch the replay a couple of times and review the stats should not have an opinion either
as there is a lot you miss by just watching the game on the box.

As frustrating as Hooker's misses are, he is absolutely one of the main reasons why we've scored the third most out of any team this season despite our midfield being quite ordinary.

Now way is he leaving the forward line. His contested marks are a great asset to us up forward. He's also the reason why Daniher isn't being triple teamed right now.

I think he stays forward as well. Has not been at his best this year but has kicked 35.24 so he is averaging just under 2 goals a game.
At the start of the year anyone one of us would have taken 60 goals for Joe and 40 for Hooker , 40 odd for Raz , 30 from Walla and a goal a game from Green / Stewart /next forward.

Well I respectfully disagree with your opinion - This is a problem endemic to a number of sporting forums, not just Big Footy - You use the word entitled - I see irony in that a poster who watches little of a game ( at the time of posting ) feels the need to post about the game - That is entitled.
It is a forum. If you are willing to have your opinions challenged then you can posy what you want. It is not a match review for the HS.
I could argue those who do not see the game live and then watch the replay a couple of times and review the stats should not have an opinion either
It is a public forum, the public are entitled to express their opinions here, and the only requirement is to have an account and post within the rules of the forum.

What posters are not entitled to is respect for their opinions. Respect is earned. If you want your opinion to be respected then make it respectable – watch a game, think clearly, say something sensible.

We don't and won't censor ignorance. If someone wants to look stupid by saying something stupid that's their business.

But this is exactly my argument - Watch the game whether its live or on the box and then post your observations on the game - You can even watch a replay of the game which many do and pass on further observations - This makes for informed debate - Its challenging to add a meaningful contribution if you haven't watched the game or only watched highlights or bits and pieces from the game - Finally, I'd be surprised if you ever post about a game without watching that game.

Talking about things that were missed, what is this about Myers' alleged run with role on Gibbs? Watching the replay I paused on each stoppage and Myers went to Gibbs maybe twice (he was on Thomas more).

If possible, Hooker should try and seek out Tony Lockett for some advice

He was massive in that first quarter. Just like we all thought preseason, he draws a few of the opposition to the contest and it comes to ground. His goal kicking tally is almost secondary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back