Autopsy Round 20: Changes v Hawthorn - Wagner, MJones and Dawes for Bugg, Weid & Oliver

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we trade our 2nd for Hibberd we still have to take 3 players in the draft I think? Pretty sure that is a rule, you have to draft at LEAST three players.
Only need to make two picks if we upgrade a rookie. Hence we'd take our third and fourth round selections and hopefully not be dipping into the fifth...

I remember in 05 a young hawthorn team smashed an experienced melbourne side. It was basically sam Mitchell winning centre clearances and mark Williams goals. It would be nice if this young melbourne side upset the older experienced hawks team. Only difference is melbourne were mediocre in those days hawthorn are serious good.

I still maintain hogan won't play. Pedo as emergency for him I reckon

Agreed 100%.

If Pedersen plays, I wouldn't mind seeing Gawn spending a bit more time up forward this week. The Hawks backline isn't particularly tall and he could be a bit of a worry for them.

I like this idea, reckon the Hawks will be sharking Gawns taps and then Mcevoy will try and work him around the ground and deep forward and Pedo can play key back on him when he's running around

As much as I always shake my head at selection table im glad we gave Dawes one last run to see if he could add anything to the table going forward.

In the past we've been pretty quick to dismiss players at the end of their careers thinking they were finished only to play on for another club for a year or 2.

The problem is however he is so bad and been heavy exposed in a young side. Guess we ended up with something for Mitch Clark so there anyways hope

Here's some statistics regarding games played by the players of the the two sides

Total games played: Melbourne = 1410 (average of 64). Hawthorn = 3012 (average of 136).

By positions:
Forwards - Melbourne = 373 (average of 62). Hawthorn = 628 (average of 105)

Mids - Melbourne = 611 (average of 102). Hawthorn = 1104 (average of 184)

Backs - Melbourne = 277 (average of 46). Hawthorn = 1143 (average of 190)

Bench - Melbourne = 149 (average of 25). Hawthorn = 147 (average 23)

The most stark discrepancy is the difference of games experience between our backlines, 227 compared to 1143 and could be a useful indicator as to why we're likely to leak goals

Here's some statistics regarding games played by the players of the the two sides

Total games played: Melbourne = 1410 (average of 64). Hawthorn = 3012 (average of 136).

By positions:

The most stark discrepancy is the difference of games experience between our backlines, 227 compared to 1143 and could be a useful indicator as to why we're likely to leak goals
Wouldn't you be better comparing our backs to their forwards and their backs to our forwards?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By positions:

I think that experience also explains why we tend to lose the close games and they do not. A bit more experience and we would of beaten north and west coast.

By positions:

The bench stat is really interesting I think. Goes to show that for the Hawks their inexperienced players are the last few picked, whereas for us there's not that much difference there.

The backline differential is absurd.

Agreed 100%.

If Pedersen plays, I wouldn't mind seeing Gawn spending a bit more time up forward this week. The Hawks backline isn't particularly tall and he could be a bit of a worry for them.

Very good point, especially against Hawf we need to stop Gibson zoning off and spoiling everything so Max as another forward target helps. Also Watts doesnt have to ruck and Pedo can take a better grab than Dawes anyways if he plays. Love this selected team on paper.

http://m.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-08-04/three-changes-for-hawthorn-clash

Wagner, MJones and Dawes out for Bugg, Weid and Oliver.

WAGNER OUT

_CZIbJ.gif
Looks like I'll have to swear at Bugg this week. Best quality hack for years.

To say that Harmes was lucky to keep his spot is a gross understatement.

Must have been the mark in the middle of the ground. It certainly wasn't his ball use or his zero number of tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back