Prediction Round 20: Changes Vs Melbourne + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sort of game and conditions I would have thought would suit Banfield. Can still potentially do that as injury sub though.
Maybe we are gonna pull the old “ oh he’s got bad cramps “ mystery sub change and bring on Banfield last quarter to snag a couple
He’s pretty good like that

Things have definitely got weird around here
I just tuned in to multiple requests for Tucker and Banfield to be selected for the game ?!
Have I entered a parallel universe?

It's just the half-life of the drug that is Flagmantle 2022.

We were squabbling in the mud for 6 years and this year we've been provided such a feast of enjoyment.

The trouble is it gets addictive, and when we aren't amazing it feels like we've been robbed. That's why the majority of our fans have been whining about everything the last month.

F the rain, there's no reason we shouldn't get 50k tomorrow and there's no reason we shouldn't win and project ourselves back into the Top 4.

It's just the half-life of the drug that is Flagmantle 2022.

We were squabbling in the mud for 6 years and this year we've been provided such a feast of enjoyment.

The trouble is it gets addictive, and when we aren't amazing it feels like we've been robbed. That's why the majority of our fans have been whining about everything the last month.

F the rain, there's no reason we shouldn't get 50k tomorrow and there's no reason we shouldn't win and project ourselves back into the Top 4.
Love that first line , it’s like the opening to a Hunter S Thompson novel . 🤩

True
Perspective needs to be sought

The games we have lost have been to decent teams who are still in the mix and other than Collingwood ( who have surprised everyone with their rebound this year) were all teams that were projected to be around the same potential as Freo this year

I don’t feel like we win this one though but I’m doing the 800k round trip and going anyway to give my support.
Caaarrnn Dockers !!!

To be fair though the players ‘knocking the door down’ in terms of form are either a) tried and done - Tucker, Blakely, Crowden AND/OR b) play in positions of where there’s no need- Blakely, Crowden especially in the midfield. Tucker has stamped his cards- he’s been beyond poor this year. 100 gamer. Just meh
Be nice if Sturt was firing- he’d be in to play that half forward role.

Apart from that, hardly anyone is coming out of that 22 until Switkowski and Fyfe are fit and in. O Driscoll will take time.

Terrible selection. Was an ordinary last quarter last week.
Banfield is absolutely stiff. Going even shorter tomorrow. Banfield at least harrasses and can tackle.
Guessing with Lobb back, Logue, Tabs and Lobb is too tall to have Banfield as well.
banfield had 2 tackles and 6 pressure acts against the tigers, walters had 25 and 4 for comparison. banners absolutely does not harrass and tackle, hes kicking goals though

According to Nathan Shmook on AFL.com.au, Logue holds the key tonight. He refers to the fact that Logue kept May to season lows in our earlier match up.

How does a journalist employed by the AFL get that onto the website without someone pointing out to him that May was knocked out and subbed off before quarter time?

I don’t think Schultz goes missing. The early Saints game he was quiet but even when our mids lower their colours he contributes with goals, assists, tackles and marks inside 50 pretty consistently.
Against Brisbane and against the kangaroos he was our lowest disposal winner on the ground, didn't have a shot against Brisbane and his goal against roos was at the very end of the game. This is on top of the last two games of his being very quite, and the saints game early on in the season. Like I said I highly rate Schultz, and I don't blame Schultz, I think with so many small forwards some are going to go missing every game, but to say he doesn't go missing means you aren't watching him closely enough.

According to Nathan Shmook on AFL.com.au, Logue holds the key tonight. He refers to the fact that Logue kept May to season lows in our earlier match up.

How does a journalist employed by the AFL get that onto the website without someone pointing out to him that May was knocked out and subbed off before quarter time?

Yup - career damaging that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sort of game and conditions I would have thought would suit Banfield. Can still potentially do that as injury sub though.
he's had some shockers in the wet before, the geelong game in 2020 nearly had his card stamped.

he's had some shockers in the wet before, the geelong game in 2020 nearly had his card stamped.
Yeah agreed, I think part of the problem for Banfield is he doesn't apply much pressure yet he isn't a marking threat either.

All credit to him for how he's improved this year though, and he does have the knack of getting in the right spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See you lads/lasses there 😍 First time the Dee's have played the dockers at Optus if I recall correctly? happy as I have had enough of sitting amongst those yellow and blue ferals. Praying for a tight one and no injures (and hopefully no rain)

Fyfe is actually a big loss for this, finally get a wet one since he is back and its the week he is out of the team

I reckon Tucker played pretty well in the wet for Peel last week but can see why they went Colyer instead, Colyer needs to fix his kicking this week though, can't keep missing targets by 5 metres, its killing us.

Colyer in for Fyfe allows Aish to take his mid time with Colyer on the wing too and hopefully put the clamps on Oliver if needed

To be fair though the players ‘knocking the door down’ in terms of form are either a) tried and done - Tucker, Blakely, Crowden AND/OR b) play in positions of where there’s no need- Blakely, Crowden especially in the midfield. Tucker has stamped his cards- he’s been beyond poor this year. 100 gamer. Just meh
Be nice if Sturt was firing- he’d be in to play that half forward role.

Apart from that, hardly anyone is coming out of that 22 until Switkowski and Fyfe are fit and in. O Driscoll will take time.
Don’t understand how you can say players like Tucker and Crowden are tried and done .these two along with Wilson , Meek and Banfield have been in great form trying their guts out and deserve to get a chance in the team again add to that there all injury free and fit with a lot more exsperience . A lot is being said about giving the youth a chance that are in the team but I actually believe there getting more of a chance now than was giving to the players I just mentioned.it’s all good to have these exciting young players do something brilliant every now and then but if they can’t yet understand about also getting back to defend that there’s a lot more to do in the game then JLo and selectors are taking a huge risk playing them going in to the finals .

Don’t understand how you can say players like Tucker and Crowden are tried and done .these two along with Wilson , Meek and Banfield have been in great form trying their guts out and deserve to get a chance in the team again add to that there all injury free and fit with a lot more exsperience . A lot is being said about giving the youth a chance that are in the team but I actually believe there getting more of a chance now than was giving to the players I just mentioned.it’s all good to have these exciting young players do something brilliant every now and then but if they can’t yet understand about also getting back to defend that there’s a lot more to do in the game then JLo and selectors are taking a huge risk playing them going in to the finals .
Except the players you listed aren't going to win us flags. It's the exciting, talented kids who with development will hopefully achieve that. Playing the older, bigger body might win you a few more games old Ross Lyon style but we need to get the balance right between current output, finals output and future output. I think we're hitting it perfectly and it shows when each week there are supporters unhappy at selection regardless of the movements.

Last edited:
Except the player you listed aren't going to win us flags. It's the exciting, talented kids who with development will hopefully achieve that. Playing the older, bigger body might win you a few more games old Ross Lyon style but we need to get the balance right between current output, finals output and future output. I think we're hitting it perfectly and it shows when each week there are supporters unhappy at selection regardless of the movements.
Don’t agree the players I mentioned aren’t over the hill by age and could still have their best footy to come as a few of these guys have been through some bad injuries and come out the other side and are now fitter than they have ever been Getting high numbers of disposals that the younger in players couldn’t even get close to in the wafl so doesn’t make sense to keep playing them when not setting the world on fire with a lot of lower disposal games some lower than what the older players got dropped for .you won’t win finals playing out of form and unfit players.form has to be rewarded or you’ll find what you have built will come crumbling down.There could be alot more players want out and leave if this is the way the clubs thinking by messsing with players .
Except the player you listed aren't going to win us flags. It's the exciting, talented kids who with development will hopefully achieve that. Playing the older, bigger body might win you a few more games old Ross Lyon style but we need to get the balance right between current output, finals output and future output. I think we're hitting it perfectly and it shows when each week there are supporters unhappy at selection regardless of the movememy

Except the players you listed aren't going to win us flags. It's the exciting, talented kids who with development will hopefully achieve that. Playing the older, bigger body might win you a few more games old Ross Lyon style but we need to get the balance right between current output, finals output and future output. I think we're hitting it perfectly and it shows when each week there are supporters unhappy at selection regardless of the movements.
Every team has role players, some one or more them could be in the team. Just you can't have all of them. I would probably have Wilson in the team tbh - as I've said before - he is one of my favourites.

We do need to fine a "X-Factor" type player in the forward line, which Sonny used to be - it's definitely more blue-collar than anything now, including him. We also don't have anyone really who can kick goals from outside 50 or on the 50 metre line which definitely stretches the defence. I guess we were hoping Sturt could be that type - like Bayley Fritsch with perhaps more defensive skills. A Shai Bolton, Tom Papley etc. speed, evasion, good goal sense, can apply pressure too. Griffin Logue has the athletic capabilities perhaps, but he seems to be playing a defensive role, and will likely do so on May or Lever tonight.

Don’t agree the players I mentioned aren’t over the hill by age and could still have their best footy to come as a few of these guys have been through some bad injuries and come out the other side and are now fitter than they have ever been Getting high numbers of disposals that the younger in players couldn’t even get close to in the wafl so doesn’t make sense to keep playing them when not setting the world on fire with a lot of lower disposal games some lower than what the older players got dropped for .you won’t win finals playing out of form and unfit players.form has to be rewarded or you’ll find what you have built will come crumbling down.There could be alot more players want out and leave if this is the way the clubs thinking by messsing with players .
Wilson - 29
Banfield - 24
Tucker - 25
Meek - 24
Crowden - 23

They are all back-ups or fringe players. Depth is important but nothing to worry about if they are not preferred to someone with more potential. Wilson came in and performed very well but now dropped for a 20 year old who is up and down but will be a better player. Crowden is a midfielder and there are better options at the moment or we probably play Erasmus or Johnson if there was an injury.

It happens all the time, we get upset about high possession WAFL players not getting AFL games but if they do they rarely have better output that the players they replace. They are then eventually delisted and they don't go on to have huge damaging careers elsewhere. The perfect example of this was DeBoer, he was an absolute gun WAFL mid but just didn't have the skill set to make it as an AFL midfielder due to the pace. He had enough to still get a great career as a role player but it shows that you need to be a gun WAFL player just to be an ok AFL role player.

Wilson - 29
Banfield - 24
Tucker - 25
Meek - 24
Crowden - 23

They are all back-ups or fringe players. Depth is important but nothing to worry about if they are not preferred to someone with more potential. Wilson came in and performed very well but now dropped for a 20 year old who is up and down but will be a better player. Crowden is a midfielder and there are better options at the moment or we probably play Erasmus or Johnson if there was an injury.

It happens all the time, we get upset about high possession WAFL players not getting AFL games but if they do they rarely have better output that the players they replace. They are then eventually delisted and they don't go on to have huge damaging careers elsewhere. The perfect example of this was DeBoer, he was an absolute gun WAFL mid but just didn't have the skill set to make it as an AFL midfielder due to the pace. He had enough to still get a great career as a role player but it shows that you need to be a gun WAFL player just to be an ok AFL role player.
Agree. If you had a decent manager, you'd be recommending to all of those guys to attempt to get traded. Particularly Meek, he could easily play 22 games next year for another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back