Review Round 20 = Collingwood 76-93 Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to that concert. Threw his gold pants into the crowd. A mate of mine took a screamer and got it.
Said pants were then worn in turn by us all in various nightclubs.
We requested "can't touch this" be played.
Danced our arses off.

Funny at the time.

Last edited:
For perspective Carlton had skipped out to a 34 point lead with three early last quarter goals before Howe kicked his first around the 15 minute mark, so it'd be fair to say that some of the heat had come out of the game by then, especially from a defensive standpoint.

Having said that the positive here is that it was hopefully good for his confidence to clunk a few, as he was down last week and has been just a bit off in general since he came back.

TL;DR Howe's goals were pure junk time candy last night, don't count on that happening again if he's starting up forward.

Think Howe would be a hard match up any stage of the game, if they put a better opponent on him then that helps another forward get free.
Regardless Howes opponent was beating someone else for over 3qtrs before Howe went there.

We need him on the end of handball chains, not starting them.
Yeah he needs to be the last in the chain but it's fine if he starts them as long as he then is receiving it back, issue is teams are now holding Nick and not allowing him to run on until the play is past the area he can impact.

The 1-2 chain is a feature of his early games that's been less prelevant.

Don’t get me wrong.
He’s not soft.
He goes when he needs to.
He’s so clean and smart that he’s usually avoiding the player and taking the ball…when it doesn’t happen, he “looks soft”…but he’s not.

He's not soft but he is having moments in some games when met head on and it's got nothing to do with smarts. It's why I said with maturity and strength/size.

If you break even teams will generally tick this off as well done.
But what makes the difference is how pure the centre clearances are and if you can score directly from them, it’s maximum damage.

Things evolve over the course of a season,
What was working and a need served us well but the questions I think now are going to become louder and louder around Mitchell.
Purely because the evolution of Naicos to now a midfield star who demands mins as the best player in the squad.

I think the season and the way we play can be incredibly taxing on players who naturally aren’t aerobic beasts per se and Mitchell really looks like he is beaten up and feeling the effects of either such a punishing long season being at the bottom of every pack or by the sheer price you pay physically in the manner we play on older legs.

He’s really looking vulnerable in general play to cover the ground and his kicking has been poor too…the latter because he cannot find himself the extra step or time he needs like a Naicos or JDG or even like the fast of mind Pendles.

It’s a huge time for him.
I suspect Titch has played more time in the midfield this year, than the last few at Haw, where Mitchell was giving time to his younger brigade.
So agree - he’s had a big load this year.

Yeah he needs to be the last in the chain but it's fine if he starts them as long as he then is receiving it back, issue is teams are now holding Nick and not allowing him to run on until the play is past the area he can impact.

The 1-2 chain is a feature of his early games that's been less prelevant.

Maybe a quiet word to the umpires that he's being repeatedly "tackled" without the ball might bear some fruit?

Went to that concert. Threw his gold pants into the crowd. A mate of mine took a screamer and got it.
Said pants were then worn in turn by us all in various nightclubs.
We requested "can't touch this" be played.
Danced our arses off.

Funny at the time.
Did you guys learn to dance like him or just dance like an unco?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a quiet word to the umpires that he's being repeatedly "tackled" without the ball might bear some fruit?
Teams are scragging both Nick and JDG before they touch the ball in every bounce and ball up at the moment.

Imo the worst one was the Ruck infringement for high, Cox was pretty stiff there as Curnow and he engaged how most rucks would but the height difference meant his arm come across slightly high but Curnow also pushed up into his arm pit attributing to the contact.
Yeah that was clever by Curnow. Definitely
How does this happen? Really made me mad. Of course ball went straight to a Blues player.

View attachment 1759568

sorry Maggie, I don't follow. what happened in this pic?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that was clever by Curnow. Definitely

sorry Maggie, I don't follow. what happened in this pic?
5 blues players to our three (two didn't have an opponent), Cameron tapped directly to one of the three. Easily cleared.

The throw in was as we were going into our forward 50.

5 blues players to our three (two didn't have an opponent), Cameron tapped directly to one of the three. Easily cleared.

It's a concern. We like to have an extra player around stoppages but the last month, teams have been loading up around stoppages and out numbering us. Fly has some tinkering to do because we are being found out

And some people are too quick to dismiss structural/selection flaws and poor effort/attitude/skills as “bad luck” or “just not our night”, etc.

Geelong, Brisbane and Essendon would all have no fear going into their respective matches with us in coming weeks. Every team in the hunt believes we’re gettable.

We’re now back in the pack of 4-5 contenders. We can definitely still win it but we are no longer clear favourites.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Say that again...

Don’t get me wrong.
He’s not soft.
He goes when he needs to.
He’s so clean and smart that he’s usually avoiding the player and taking the ball…when it doesn’t happen, he “looks soft”…but he’s not.

My point was more around the minimum defensive effort of a midfielder. He doesn’t meet it.

Whatever we do, we need the ball in his hands 30 times a game…at the moment I think that’s HB.

I agree, Naics should be the last in line in a handball chain. We want him kicking the ball as often as possible.

I think he's been so dominant as mid in juniors that like a lot of them, he never had to worry too much about being defensive minded.

He's going to cop the hard tag from Maginness next week. Will be interesting to see what he's learnt not only throughout the season but from the practice match back in Feb.

Excluding the rucks, I count 5 to 4. It's not unusual for one team to have an extra player at a ruck contest it's a trade-off. We had Pendles open just off the contest. This is a still so don't know if any players did eventually come together.

I don't see a problem here. If we lost the contest then it was probably a poor tap. To the left we had 4-2 and Pendles not far off.

H

He certainly can mate
Curnow's shown no evidence of that against us. Seems more of a feast on the bottom teams and rely on the umps type.

Anyway, Saints looking scary today. Better get back to your board and prepare for the melts when they win next week and darken yet another false dawn for your club.

Excluding the rucks, I count 5 to 4. It's not unusual for one team to have an extra player at a ruck contest it's a trade-off. We had Pendles open just off the contest. This is a still so don't know if any players did eventually come together.

I don't see a problem here. If we lost the contest then it was probably a poor tap. To the left we had 4-2 and Pendles not far off.
I think that set up was pretty clever by the Blues.

They didn't come together, tap went straight to them and they cleared.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back