Review Round 20 = Collingwood 76-93 Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I am concerned that opposition teams have worked out our 'system' (Demons, Lions, Port and now Carlton) and McRae isn't adapting quick enough during play.
McRae continually talks about backing our system in so instead of concentrating on last few minutes of last quarter, needs to look more at our starts, especially the setup in the mid field.

Logged in just to like this comment.

Moore frustrates the s**t out of me. He's only effective if he can play loose man in defensive 50, and generally only against weaker teams.

He gets caught out too often against the better teams as he doesn't respect his opposition player enough to play man on man.

His body language is generally sulking in nature and he doesn't inspire those around him. Compare the way he goes about it to Peddles and Maynard.

But hey.... he can give a good speech though :thumbsupv1:
Based on this post I'd say don't log in next time

Funny how everyone was on a high after our great win over Port in one of the best matches of the year, intensity & pressure was off the charts with a real finals atmosphere...& now after a short break where we looked very flat, in fact, exhausted at times, uncharacteristically inaccurate in front of goal against a fired up Carlton who played out of their skins .. and it's all doom & gloom.

Funny how everyone was on a high after our great win over Port in one of the best matches of the year, intensity & pressure was off the charts with a real finals atmosphere...& now after a short break where we looked very flat, in fact, exhausted at times, uncharacteristically inaccurate in front of goal against a fired up Carlton who played out of their skins .. and it's all doom & gloom.
I think the fact that is was Carlton exaggerated the whining and hand wringing.

The other top teams don’t lose games and have never had poor games

It's a bit out of control though isn't it? Of course, we always want to beat Carlton. But some of the carry on has been over the top.
I really haven't seen too much over the top.

Winning the close games is good which shows defensively we are pretty good (which wasn't a concern as under Buckley that was how we played), I would like us to be kicking more goals and putting teams away early.

Finals will be tough as on their day opposition teams can surprise as was evident from results this week-end.

Maybe they just need to adjust to a "if in doubt, call it a goal" mentality. Unless it's against us of course.
They sort of have to don't they. If someone kicks it and it goes through, you've got to have seen it be touched for it not to be umpires call a goal - I would have thought.

Winning the close games is good which shows defensively we are pretty good (which wasn't a concern as under Buckley that was how we played), I would like us to be kicking more goals and putting teams away early.

Finals will be tough as on their day opposition teams can surprise as was evident from results this week-end.
We’ve lost 3 games and have the highest % which suggests we have been putting teams away. Melb being called this all conquering team have lost more games than us, been flogged by bris at the Gabba by a LOT more than us, should have lost to Gold Coast (won by a kick), and scraped over the line against rich.. there’s no team that’s dominating like geel last year.

We’ve done what we need to to, make top 4, hopefull top 2. The season proper starts then

There’s no best team, all teams including us are going to have losses. But our best is good enough to win it, just depends if we play it when we need to

We’ve lost 3 games and have the highest % which suggests we have been putting teams away. Melb being called this all conquering team have lost more games than us, been flogged by bris at the Gabba by a LOT more than us, should have lost to Gold Coast (won by a kick), and scraped over the line against rich.. there’s no team that’s dominating like geel last year.

We’ve done what we need to to, make top 4, hopefull top 2. The season proper starts then

There’s no best team, all teams including us are going to have losses. But our best is good enough to win it, just depends if we play it when we need to
Yep. We've had a great year and are in the best position. A couple of games clear on top. We know how to win. Our game plan is being really targeted and we'll know what teams are going to try in September.

We'll have to be good to win it. And it'll probably take some tweaks. But I sure as hell am looking forward to us giving it a crack.

Let's hope you are right.

I need more convincing have been a Pie supporter for decades even in 1990 kept looking at scoreboard and time left.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's hope you are right.

I need more convincing have been a Pie supporter for decades even in 1990 kept looking at scoreboard and time left.:)
It’s losing to carlton that’s got you down. And fair enough. Objectively we are fine. Historically no teams winning it outside the top 4. Home final against bris or port at the MCG for a spot in the prelim would be great

FORWARD OF CENTRE score & frees:
Carlton 6.1 GOALS
from 8 forward frees (5 frees to Curnow)
Collington 0.0 GOALS from 1 frees

FORWARD OF CENTRE free-kicks

1Q 7:25 mins (remaining): Curnow free (Carlton)
_free against Murphy, holding
_hold not clear /obvious but Curnow waving his arms in air is clear/obvious
_60m from goal, HFF
_Curnow kicks into f50, ball off hands, Motlop roves, GOAL

2Q 14:03 (remaining): Martin free (Carlton)
_free against Howe, push out
_no push from Howe, all simulation by Martin
_30m out directly in front
_Martin kicks GOAL

2Q 12:59 (remaining): Fogarty free (Carlton)
_free against Crisp, holding the ball /incorrect disposal _Crisp gets tackled as (before) he takes possession of ball; no prior; is swung in tackle, tries to dispose but ball doesn't connect foot; HTB
_25m out 40 degree angle
_Fogarty kicks BEHIND

2Q 9:58 mins (remaining): Curnow free (Carlton)
_free against Cox, ruck contest, arm over shoulder
_Curnow leans into Cox, height differential, Cox reaches around & over Curnow's shoulder
_25m from goal, slight angle
_Curnow kicks GOAL

4Q 16:15 mins (remaining): Curnow free (Carlton)
_free against Moore, holding
_Curnow initiates hold of Moore, Moore responds w arms around for a split second; 2nd infringement paid
_10m our directly in front
_Curnow kicks GOAL

4Q 16:43 mins (remaining): Curnow free (Carlton)
_free against Moore, high
_Curnow pushes Moore clear in the back as ball comes into f50 (play on); ball spills out back to Curnow, Moore tackles and Curnow lowers his knees & drops his head as he tries to break tackle; clear HTB; paid too high
_50m free paid for dissent
_0m out directly in front
_Curnow kicks GOAL

4Q 9:36 mins (remaining): DeKoning free (Carlton)
_free against McStay, block/shepherding in ruck contest
_60m out HFF
_DeKoning kicks into f50 leading to next free kick to Curnow in marking contest

4Q 9:22 mins (remaining): Curnow free (Carlton)
_free against Moore, hold
_Martin v Murphy and Curnow v Moore in marking contest; high ball kicked in, Martin has no eyes for ball and clearly blocks Moore's run, Moore reaches out and scrags Curnow's arm for split second; Martin infringement (play on) but Moore called for holding Curnow
_15m out directly in front
_Curnow kicks GOAL

4Q 6:31 mins (remaining): Cameron free (Collington)
_free against Pittinet, rucking infringement
_65m out from goal
_Cameron kicks inside f50, pack forms, ball up, no score

FORWARD OF CENTRE score & frees:
Carlton 6.1 GOALS
from 8 forward frees (5 frees to Curnow)
Collington 0.0 GOALS from 1 frees

FORWARD OF CENTRE free-kicks

1Q 7:25 mins (remaining): Curnow free (Carlton)
_free against Murphy, holding
_hold not clear /obvious but Curnow waving his arms in air is clear/obvious
_60m from goal, HFF
_Curnow kicks into f50, ball off hands, Motlop roves, GOAL

2Q 14:03 (remaining): Martin free (Carlton)
_free against Howe, push out
_no push from Howe, all simulation by Martin
_30m out directly in front
_Martin kicks GOAL

2Q 12:59 (remaining): Fogarty free (Carlton)
_free against Crisp, holding the ball /incorrect disposal _Crisp gets tackled as (before) he takes possession of ball; no prior; is swung in tackle, tries to dispose but ball doesn't connect foot; HTB
_25m out 40 degree angle
_Fogarty kicks BEHIND

2Q 9:58 mins (remaining): Curnow free (Carlton)
_free against Cox, ruck contest, arm over shoulder
_Curnow leans into Cox, height differential, Cox reaches around & over Curnow's shoulder
_25m from goal, slight angle
_Curnow kicks GOAL

4Q 16:15 mins (remaining): Curnow free (Carlton)
_free against Moore, holding
_Curnow initiates hold of Moore, Moore responds w arms around for a split second; 2nd infringement paid
_Curnow kicks GOAL

4Q 16:43 mins (remaining): Curnow free (Carlton)
_free against Moore, high
_Curnow pushes Moore clear in the back as ball comes into f50 (play on); ball spills out back to Curnow, Moore tackles and Curnow lowers his knees & drops his head as he tries to break tackle; clear HTB; paid too high
_50m free paid for dissent
_0m out directly in front
_Curnow kicks GOAL

4Q 9:36 mins (remaining): DeKoning free (Carlton)
_free against McStay, block/shepherding in ruck contest
_60m out HFF
_DeKoning kicks into f50 leading to next free kick to Curnow in marking contest

4Q 9:22 mins (remaining): Curnow free (Carlton)
_free against Moore, hold
_Martin v Murphy and Curnow v Moore in marking contest; high ball kicked in, Martin has no eyes for ball and clearly blocks Moore's run, Moore reaches out and scrags Curnow's arm for split second; Martin infringement (play on) but Moore called for holding Curnow
_15m out directly in front
_Curnow kicks GOAL

4Q 6:31 mins (remaining): Cameron free (Collington)
_free against Pittinet, rucking infringement
_65m out from goal
_Cameron kicks inside f50, pack forms, ball up, no score
The most scandalous part of that is them bringing on a player from another team - Fogarty.

It is interesting to me how when a big key forward is adept at winning frees in front of goal... it's all good and they're a good player and have sucked in their opponent etc etc...but when a small player does it they are a cheating, flopping campaigner.
Just my opinion based on my observation, please put down your weapons.

I feel we will kick back into gear now. The boys will get their s**t going again.

I beg to differ. I think the doomsayers after this one loss has been amusing to say the least.

The most scandalous part of that is them bringing on a player from another team - Fogarty.
less scandal, more bizarre. bizarre how two people can carry the same surname yet run around living two completely separate lives!

I am concerned that opposition teams have worked out our 'system' (Demons, Lions, Port and now Carlton) and McRae isn't adapting quick enough during play.
McRae continually talks about backing our system in so instead of concentrating on last few minutes of last quarter, needs to look more at our starts, especially the setup in the mid field.

I said that since the Demons Game that I felt Teams where Figuring out our Gameplan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back