Toast Round 20 = Collingwood 88-82 Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok. It's so easy to bandy about the words 'mental health' and I think it's overuse lessens its impact and detracts from people who have genuine mental health issues. I do not see Ginnivan as suffering even mildly serious mental health issues. Watching him on the ground he asks for what he gets and is much happier being in the public spotlight than out of it. What I like about Ginnivan is his cheek and in your face approach to the opposition. I'll reserve my sympathy for those people with genuine mental health issues.

I don't think he was playing the mental health card per se. Just making the rather obvious point that it's been a bit of a grind. He's not responsible for the acceptable over-use of the term either.

I also don't remember him asking for your sympathies. Is that what's got you so excited over this non-issue?

I don't think he was playing the mental health card per se. Just making the rather obvious point that it's been a bit of a grind. He's not responsible for the acceptable over-use of the term either.

I also don't remember him asking for your sympathies. Is that what's got you so excited over this non-issue?

The interviewer was just pushing for it and I think Ginni just decided to acknowledge that yes ,it has put him under huge pressure (and hence affected his mental health) and he was probably hoping that mentioning that might just get people off his back for a second. Nothing wrong with that IMO and probably a smart move.

I read an article in the news about it before and they have a freaking Lifeline footer on it because the words "mental health" were mentioned :rolleyes: Perspective is a thing of the past unfortunately.

There wasn't much in that incident three weeks ago, but it seems to have become more dramatic in your mind since then.

Shirtfronted? Seriously...he was tapped and then fell to the ground to draw attention to the tap, which umpires quite right ignore most of the time.

Yeah, was looking for free. Quite rightly wasn't forthcoming. There are enough genuine frees he's not getting without looking to pad the list out.

Hats off to Bianco after a poor first quarter. He put his body on the line in that contest with Dixon and ran back with the flight in another.

Will be a player.
Given up on Poulter but think Bianco can cut it.
Had some lousy use early on but was definitely there and a contributor when the whips were cracking.
Will be good to see us when this nucleus have another 40-60 games in the system.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I

I agree.
You look at a player like Madge - a good solid citizen, works hard, gives his all, but is limited in his ultimate potential.
Carmichael has already given us some great highlights.
He's still raw, but has the attributes to have huge upside with more physical preparation & understanding of Fly's game plan.
Other teams had better watch out next season once he's had a full preseason under his belt.
An exciting prospect!
You could see pure joy expression on his face after his goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last time I can recall a winning streak like this one was in my first year as a member in 1965 when we had a bad start to the season and won 11 or 12 in a row before losing in the last round to South. We then lost the 2SF by one point to St Kilda but got beaten badly in the PF by Essendon.

But if we extend our streak by 6 more games then.......

Someone has just reminnded me we did it under Bucks in 2012 too.
15 in a row in 2011?

There wasn't much in that incident three weeks ago, but it seems to have become more dramatic in your mind since then.

Shirtfronted? Seriously...he was tapped and then fell to the ground to draw attention to the tap, which umpires quite right ignore most of the time.
Rubbish. He didn't buckle at the knees. He was bumped hard enough to knock him over. Undue contact off the ball. A free every day. Have you watched some of the gentle pushes which have been free kicked this year? I don't know what game you are referring to nor have I ever been an umpire hater and one who rants about them. This season has changed that. The AFL could be provided with ten blatant frees he has not received in the past 5 weeks.

It no longer matters.
The game is over and what happens on the field has to be left on the field.
Continuing a vendetta against employees of the AFL in their private lives is very dangerous.
Well not sure there. In theory this is ok but I believe evidence is mounting that matters off field are impacting matters on field so it warrants due consideration.

Winning streaks (10+ games)
  • 11 = Round 7 1902 - Round 17 1902
  • 17 = Round 5 1903 - Round 2 1904 (PREMIERS within the streak)
  • 11 = Round 3 1905 - Round 13 1905
  • 12 = Round 12 1910 - Round 2 1911 (PREMIERS within the streak)
  • 20 = Semi Final Replay 1928 - Round 18 1929 (PREMIERS within the streak)
  • 11 = Preliminary Final 1935 - Round 9 1936 (PREMIERS within the streak)
  • 14 = Round 12 1953 - Round 5 1954 (PREMIERS within the streak)
  • 10 = Round 9 1959 - Round 18 1959
  • 11 = Round 7 1965 - Round 17 1965
  • 14 = Round 9 2011 - Round 23 2011
  • 10 = Round 4 2012 - Round 14 2012
  • 10 = Round 10 2022 - Present

The issue I have with Cameron and Cox is that that weirdly play to the level of their opponent. They play mediocre against Finlayson, but will really take it up to Gawn.

You know what you’ll get with Grundy. He’s a very consistent contributor.

Not sure what Ginnivan or the club thought would happen when he decided he wanted to be the no 1 antagonist. From then on he was going to get plenty of heat. Maybe the club should've stepped in earlier.
Excellent comment.
He’s a talented kid, just starting out, without the tools to deal with the biggest entertainment industry in this country.

Been an amazing year whatever happens from here. So much fun watching this side grow and mature under McRae, and finding new ways to grind out tight wins.

I was concerned about the loss of Mihocek and the non-inclusion of Henry, so was hoping for Elliott, Johnson and Ginnivan to all step up. Between them, we got 6 goals so they stepped up when we needed them.

Refreshing to see us perform better in clearances compared to previous weeks, so we made some positive steps on that front but still plenty to work on to be more consistent. It helped JDG being there and Adams was doing a good job until his groin injury.

Carmichael is becoming our new "super sub". Surely match committee can see now that Carmichael needs to be in the starting 22 based on his recent form. Can find the goals, hits targets and plays hard footy.

Thought Port had it a little too easy on the outside, as illustrated by the uncontested possession statistics (Port won 246-171).

I'm in awe of how this team has managed 10 consecutive wins. They deserve our praise and adulation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back