Toast Round 20 = Collingwood 90-45 West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

20210801_002215.jpg

De Goey has been gunning it since he shifted into the middle. I dunno what's happened but he just looks like he has bought in. At 3 qtr time he was having an animated chat with Grundy when we were well on top. He cares. If he can continue his form, find consistency, that's massive for our future.

Boilovers by huge margins rarely occur, but by Saturday night, Collingwood upstaged West Coast in an emphatic and comprehensive performance to prevail by 45 points. The Magpies were allowed time and space to deliver the ball without any significant pressure coming from the Eagles, while daring kicks and handpasses through the corridor from the Woods found their targets and eventuated in early goals creating significant scoreboard pressure in the opening term. The second quarter saw Collingwood dismantle West Coast substantially in general play with their continued dominance reflecting on the scoreboard with a number of simple shots at goal converted to effectively put the game out of reach for the Eagles when the half time siren sounded. The next two quarters proved to be inconsequential as the Magpies kicked enough goals to thwart any remote suggestions of a miraculous comeback for West Coast by maintaining much of the lead that had been built in the first half by the game's conclusion.

Collingwood won the bulk of they key statistical categories, such as disposals by +108 (462 - 354), +83 for kicks (280 - 197), handballs were won by +25 (182 - 157), while contested possessions had a narrow gain of +2 (105 - 103), and uncontested possessions had a differential of +102 (352 - 250) with intercept possessions up by +3 (61 - 58). Tackles had a margin of +7 (39 - 32), while uncontested marks had an advantage of +63 (156 - 93), Contested Marks were won by +3 (11 - 8), and Marks Inside 50 were secured by +8 (18 - 10). West Coast won their categories inconsequentially from hit-outs by +4 (27 - 23), clearances had a differential of +6 (33 - 27), with gaps of +4 from centre clearances (13 - 9) and +2 from stoppage clearances (20 - 18). Tackles Inside 50 were won by +10 (11 - 1), while Inside 50s had a margin of +3 (45 - 42) to culminate proceedings on the contest that transpired.

Jordan De Goey (34 disposals @ 82%, 540 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 29 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 23 kicks, 11 handballs, 7 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 6 Inside 50s & 6 Rebound 50s) continued his rich vein of form in the midfield by hitting targets by foot with high regularity and ran to the right spots to take marks, while he also had the smarts to release handpasses to teammates by breaking or evading tackles to keep the ball in motion.

Taylor Adams (34 disposals @ 79%, 307 metres gained, 14 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 21 handballs, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 6 score involvements, 9 clearances, 6 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) had a prolific game as the team's main extractor from clearances with his ability to gather the ball cleanly and dish out handpasses from packs a sight to behold. Adams did struggle to kick the ball accurately though when he had time and space to use it effectively by foot. Thankfully for the Magpies, his contested ball and clearance work outweighed the missed targets he had when he kicked the ball.

Steele Sidebottom (33 disposals @ 85%, 194 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 28 uncontested possessions, 13 kicks, 20 handballs, 7 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 9 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 3 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) thrived as the club's acting skipper with a profound display of handpasses and short kicks that resulted in scoring chains being completed with his desire and will to move the ball on smartly and quickly after he took marks, or ran into position to receive handpasses to continue the team's aggressive and high-octane ball movement which paid dividends.

Chris Mayne (26 disposals @ 92%, 196 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 23 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 13 handballs, 11 marks, 4 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50s) played in a different position on the wing, which was made possible by the return of Jeremy Howe in defence, which allowed Mayne to play higher up the ground, and Mayne demonstrated his trademark composure with the footy by taking the first option every time to maintain possession and provide defensive coverage when it was required throughout the afternoon and evening.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (23 disposals @ 74%, 403 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 6 handballs, 12 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) provided a link-up option between the arcs where he took his marks. Hoskin-Elliott generally looked to kick long to a contest which didn't always suit the brand of footy that the team wanted to play.

Brodie Grundy (22 disposals @ 77%, 173 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 18 hit-outs, 11 kicks, 11 handballs, 10 marks, 6 tackles, 4 score involvements, 4 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) showed ability in all facets of his game against Nic Naitanui by breaking even in his ruck contests, made an effort to tackle regularly, before displaying his prowess around the ground by clunking several marks. The amount of marks that Grundy took enabled him more opportunities and time to kick the ball. I don't think Grundy has ever taken 10 marks in a single game before until now, and I would like to think he will be able to this more often for the remainder of the season and the following season in 2022.

Finlay Macrae (16 disposals @ 88%, 171 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 6 kicks, 10 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) demonstrated his strengths more often by finding the time and space required to kick the ball to his team's advantage. Only had 6 kicks, but they were noticeable when he drifted forward from the midfield. Macrae was also able to dig in and get his hands dirty to release handballs to teammates who had more time to attack or defend.

Jack Crisp (36 disposals @ 89%, 320 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 28 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 18 handballs, 9 marks, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements, 2 clearances & 3 Rebound 50s) created high-quality ball movement and transition with a number of excellent kicks and swift handpasses to keep the footy moving without fail. Crisp also backed himself in to take intercept marks in the right place at the right time.

Brayden Maynard (30 disposals @ 90%, 401 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 23 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 25 kicks, 5 handballs, 11 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 4 score involvements & 3 Rebound 50s) complimented Jack Crisp beautifully with equally exquisite foot skills coming out of defence, while judging his intercept marking to perfection.

Jeremy Howe (24 disposals @ 92%, 330 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 9 handballs, 10 marks & 4 Rebound 50s) returned to AFL level seamlessly where he was able to fit back into Collingwood's defence like a glove. Howe displayed poise and composure with his ball use which was extremely effective, while his marking behind the play was assured as ever.

Trey Ruscoe (22 disposals @ 86%, 359 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 19 kicks, 3 handballs, 9 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements & 5 Rebound 50s) proves to be a revelation as a defender with his desire to bite off kicks in the corridor a notable feature. Ruscoe worked hard defensively to take marks before commencing counter-attacks with kicks that resulted in chains of handpasses further afield by his teammates to surge the footy forward at every available opportunity for the team to take marks up forward or have shots at goal.

Isaac Quaynor (19 disposals @ 74%, 294 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) found his feet and form with a sound display of defence before drifting forward in the last quarter to boot his first AFL goal which had everybody in raptures.

John Noble (22 disposals @ 82%, 317 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 14 kicks, 8 handballs, 10 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was given a new role as a small forward for the Magpies, and Noble did not look out of place across half-forward with his lead-up work enabling him to take marks and create scoring opportunities for his team, before capping off his game with a goal as a reward for his hard work.

Trent Bianco (15 disposals @ 53%, 187 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 12 kicks, 3 handballs, 9 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements & 2 goals) could not hit the side of a barn with a number of several uncharacteristic and inexplicable kicking errors. However, Bianco was able to convert a couple of goals to mask the amount of clangers he had produced.

Brody Mihocek (15 disposals @ 87%, 204 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 12 kicks, 3 handballs, 11 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 6 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) built his game on leading and presenting at the ball carrier with high distinction. Because of this, he was able to take marks in dangerous spots, and managed to impact the scoreboard meaningfully with a couple of goals to signify the effort and workload he had put in as Collingwood's spearhead.

Jamie Elliott (14 disposals @ 64%, 240 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 3 handballs, 7 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 5 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 2 goals) bobbed up forward with a couple of majors, and worked hard for the amount of marks he was able to take when the ball came from the midfield.

Josh Thomas (14 disposals @ 71 %, 210 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 3 handballs, 6 marks, 2 goal assists, 7 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) has endured a rough and tough season before producing his finest game of the 2021 season with high score involvement numbers where he set up a couple of goals, got on his bike to take marks across half-forward, before chiming in with a goal in what was a solid contribution.

Oliver Henry (11 disposals @ 73%, 128 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 3 goal assists & 6 score involvements) competed strongly to claim a handful of marks, before setting up goals for teammates in better positions to convert goals that Henry would normally choose to kick himself. Three quality games in a row for Ollie, as he becomes more accustomed to life as an AFL footballer.

Jack Ginnivan (10 disposals @ 70%, 225 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 5 marks, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 5 Inside 50s & 1 goal) adjusted quicker to the tempo of AFL footy in his second game (Ginnivan struggled on debut against Port Adelaide the previous game) by leading up at the kicker and created scoring forays from those marks. Ginnivan's moment in the sun came in the shadows of quarter time, where he sunk a bomb from outside 50 to nail his maiden AFL goal. All of his teammates got around him to acknowledge the moment of jubilation.

Darcy Cameron (9 disposals @ 89%, 121 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 5 hit-outs, 6 kicks, 3 handballs, 5 marks, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements & 1 goal) provided an option up forward to claim a handful of marks and made the most of a very simple shot at goal of which he was able to convert. Cameron was also used sparingly in the ruck when Grundy was being assessed by medical staff. Grundy was cleared of any damage to relieve Cameron of ruck duties, which enabled Darcy more time up forward where he was needed.

Collingwood's next game will be against Hawthorn on August 8 at the MCG. Collingwood's first game ever in Tasmania for premiership points will not be going ahead as Tasmanian premier Peter Gutwein has called the game off, which has resulted in the contest being played in Melbourne. The game will also be an interesting subplot regarding Alastair Clarkson who will be coaching Hawthorn for the remainder of the 2021 season before handing the reigns over to Sam Mitchell who will coach Hawthorn from 2022 instead of 2023. Time to send Clarkson out on a losing note, and continue the dominance from the victory over the Eagles with an equally commanding display against the Hawks on Sunday.

Last edited:
Is Ruscoe eligible for a rising star nom?
Yes, he's eligible as he satisfies the following criteria:
  • Player is age 20 or under on January 1 that year = Yes, he's 19 (born November 3 2001).
  • Played 10 or fewer AFL games as of the start of the season = Yes, he had played 4 games up until the start of this season.

Wilfully ignorant ?
Because you chose to be downcast, joyless and sullen?
Give it a rest sport.

So if you go back and think of our guns- Pendles through to Maynard, they have all shown brilliance and star quality early. I dont think any of our kids have really shown that. When they do I will jump on board.

Far from sullen and downcast, I think we have a highly talented top end who are still yet to find their peak. Adams and Moore, without injury, should be consistent AAs. Maynard and Crisp could compete for that level as well. DeGoey could be the best player in the comp if his work rate continues to trend up and match his talent and Grundy has been trending back in the right direction too. Add in a quality youngster in Quaynor and our three top end veterans and I think we have a great base to worth with.

Would other teams be dying to trade for any of our youngsters because of what they have shown? I dont think so. They are not like a Cox or a Perkins or a Tom Green that have shown qualities at the top level that are elite.

I'm not saying they won't or are crap either, just saying there have been no definite star potential games from our youngsters.

Ruscoe's big weapon are those attacking 25-35m corridor kicks. He has amazing decision making and skill execution. It's a tactical change that is a breath of fresh air. It's amazing what happens when players play with freedom.
Those kicks have changed our attacking balance, we need to make the very most of them at all times.

That was one of the few games where I actually enjoyed the broadcast commentary, in fact revelled in it. They were shocked, and it kept getting worse for them. Almost as entertaining as the game.😃

It’s been a horror year, but not as bleak as it could have been. Our young crop is giving us excitement and hope, and some of our plays yesterday were just outstanding. Fast, skilful and accurate. Ok, the Weagles played like witches hats in the first half, but they were stunned. If we can build on that next year, a return to the upper reaches of the ladder may come sooner rather than later. That would be remarkable.

But the big unknown - the coach? It’s a weird situation.

Jack Crisp was awesome again and JDG, correct me if I’m wrong but this was the good Beams deal, pick 5 and a set of steak knives, got a pick in before Moore too!

Last edited:
From what I saw De Goey had bought in during pre season. Thought yesterday he was great, although it did not seem to be a high pressure contest.

The ball movement from the back half up until the final kick was great. We moved the ball in a variety of ways. But once again it appeared to be a low pressure game. I will be interested to see whether we can execute that style in a high pressure game.

We probably have Macrae, De Goey, Pendles (when playing), Daicos (when playing) Henry and Elliott who know how to deliver the ball to a forward. If Jeremy McGovern was on our team then another three or four players would make that list.

Perhaps obtaining a proper big key forward will help. Cameron as a third tall is perfect.

Defensively we looked great and that was without Moore down back. Crisp and Maynard both played very good games and used the ball pretty well.

Grundy to his credit played well especially in the first half.

Some promising signs.

To me watching yesterdays game its very easy to seecwhat we did in last years draft was the right thing even if we did finish bottom it wouldnt bother me i believe we have 4 potential first round pics and the 2 early second on form that to me is alot better spread and will build our team far better then we ever couls have wanted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if you go back and think of our guns- Pendles through to Maynard, they have all shown brilliance and star quality early. I dont think any of our kids have really shown that. When they do I will jump on board.

Far from sullen and downcast, I think we have a highly talented top end who are still yet to find their peak. Adams and Moore, without injury, should be consistent AAs. Maynard and Crisp could compete for that level as well. DeGoey could be the best player in the comp if his work rate continues to trend up and match his talent and Grundy has been trending back in the right direction too. Add in a quality youngster in Quaynor and our three top end veterans and I think we have a great base to worth with.

Would other teams be dying to trade for any of our youngsters because of what they have shown? I dont think so. They are not like a Cox or a Perkins or a Tom Green that have shown qualities at the top level that are elite.

I'm not saying they won't or are crap either, just saying there have been no definite star potential games from our youngsters.

I think you have exposed yourself as Wilfully ignorant, by insisting that the kids I mentioned, needed to show elite traits from day one, as did Pendles, to justify the enthusiasm I, and most have shown here after the game.

That is a patently absurd benchmark in establishing whether any player will make a capable AFL player.
If fact players you’ve mentioned such as Crisp, IQ, Maynard didn’t meet that benchmark and are outstanding players today.

And the same could well apply to Ollie, McCrae, Poulter, McCreery, and Ginnivan

Boilovers by huge margins rarely occur, but by Saturday night, Collingwood upstaged West Coast in an emphatic and comprehensive performance to prevail by 45 points. The Magpies were allowed time and space to deliver the ball without any significant pressure coming from the Eagles, while daring kicks and handpasses through the corridor from the Woods found their targets and eventuated in early goals creating significant scoreboard pressure in the opening term. The second quarter saw Collingwood dismantle West Coast substantially in general play with their continued dominance reflecting on the scoreboard with a number of simple shots at goal converted to effectively put the game out of reach for the Eagles when the half time siren sounded. The next two quarters proved to be inconsequential as the Magpies kicked enough goals to thwart any remote suggestions of a miraculous comeback for West Coast by maintaining much of the lead that had been built in the first half by the game's conclusion.

Collingwood won the bulk of they key statistical categories, such as disposals by +108 (462 - 354), +83 for kicks (280 - 197), handballs were won by +25 (182 - 157), while contested possessions had a narrow gain of +2 (105 - 103), and uncontested possessions had a differential of +102 (352 - 250) with intercept possessions up by +3 (61 - 58). Tackles had a margin of +7 (39 - 32), while uncontested marks had an advantage of +63 (156 - 93), Contested Marks were won by +3 (11 - 8), and Marks Inside 50 were secured by +8 (18 - 10). West Coast won their categories inconsequentially from hit-outs by +4 (27 - 23), clearances had a differential of +6 (33 - 27), with gaps of +4 from centre clearances (13 - 9) and +2 from stoppage clearances (20 - 18). Tackles Inside 50 were won by +10 (11 - 1), while Inside 50s had a margin of +3 (45 - 42) to culminate proceedings on the contest that transpired.

Jordan De Goey (34 disposals @ 82%, 540 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 29 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 23 kicks, 11 handballs, 7 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 6 Inside 50s & 6 Rebound 50s) continued his rich vein of form in the midfield by hitting targets by foot with high regularity and ran to the right spots to take marks, while he also had the smarts to release handpasses to teammates by breaking or evading tackles to keep the ball in motion.

Taylor Adams (34 disposals @ 79%, 307 metres gained, 14 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 21 handballs, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 6 score involvements, 9 clearances, 6 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) had a prolific game as the team's main extractor from clearances with his ability to gather the ball cleanly and dish out handpasses from packs a sight to behold. Adams did struggle to kick the ball accurately though when he had time and space to use it effectively by foot. Thankfully for the Magpies, his contested ball and clearance work outweighed the missed targets he had when he kicked the ball.

Steele Sidebottom (33 disposals @ 85%, 194 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 28 uncontested possessions, 13 kicks, 20 handballs, 7 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 9 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 3 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) thrived as the club's acting skipper with a profound display of handpasses and short kicks that resulted in scoring chains being completed with his desire and will to move the ball on smartly and quickly after he took marks, or ran into position to receive handpasses to continue the team's aggressive and high-octane ball movement which paid dividends.

Chris Mayne (26 disposals @ 92%, 196 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 23 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 13 handballs, 11 marks, 4 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50s) played in a different position on the wing, which was made possible by the return of Jeremy Howe in defence, which allowed Mayne to play higher up the ground, and Mayne demonstrated his trademark composure with the footy by taking the first option every time to maintain possession and provide defensive coverage when it was required throughout the afternoon and evening.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (23 disposals @ 74%, 403 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 6 handballs, 12 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) provided a link-up option between the arcs where he took his marks. Hoskin-Elliott generally looked to kick long to a contest which didn't always suit the brand of footy that the team wanted to play.

Brodie Grundy (22 disposals @ 77%, 173 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 18 hit-outs, 11 kicks, 11 handballs, 10 marks, 6 tackles, 4 score involvements, 4 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) showed ability in all facets of his game against Nic Naitanui by breaking even in his ruck contests, made an effort to tackle regularly, before displaying his prowess around the ground by clunking several marks. The amount of marks that Grundy took enabled him more opportunities and time to kick the ball. I don't think Grundy has ever taken 10 marks in a single game before until now, and I would like to think he will be able to this more often for the remainder of the season and the following season in 2022.

Finlay Macrae (16 disposals @ 88%, 171 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 6 kicks, 10 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) demonstrated his strengths more often by finding the time and space required to kick the ball to his team's advantage. Only had 6 kicks, but they were noticeable when he drifted forward from the midfield. Macrae was also able to dig in and get his hands dirty to release handballs to teammates who had more time to attack or defend.

Jack Crisp (36 disposals @ 89%, 320 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 28 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 18 handballs, 9 marks, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements, 2 clearances & 3 Rebound 50s) created high-quality ball movement and transition with a number of excellent kicks and swift handpasses to keep the footy moving without fail. Crisp also backed himself in to take intercept marks in the right place at the right time.

Brayden Maynard (30 disposals @ 90%, 401 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 23 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 25 kicks, 5 handballs, 11 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 4 score involvements & 3 Rebound 50s) complimented Jack Crisp beautifully with equally exquisite foot skills coming out of defence, while judging his intercept marking to perfection.

Jeremy Howe (24 disposals @ 92%, 330 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 9 handballs, 10 marks & 4 Rebound 50s) returned to AFL level seamlessly where he was able to fit back into Collingwood's defence like a glove. Howe displayed poise and composure with his ball use which was extremely effective, while his marking behind the play was assured as ever.

Trey Ruscoe (22 disposals @ 86%, 359 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 19 kicks, 3 handballs, 9 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements & 5 Rebound 50s) proves to be a revelation as a defender with his desire to bite off kicks in the corridor a notable feature. Ruscoe worked hard defensively to take marks before commencing counter-attacks with kicks that resulted in chains of handpasses further afield by his teammates to surge the footy forward at every available opportunity for the team to take marks up forward or have shots at goal.

Isaac Quaynor (19 disposals @ 74%, 294 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) found his feet and form with a sound display of defence before drifting forward in the last quarter to boot his first AFL goal which had everybody in raptures.

John Noble (22 disposals @ 82%, 317 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 14 kicks, 8 handballs, 10 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was given a new role as a small forward for the Magpies, and Noble did not look out of place across half-forward with his lead-up work enabling him to take marks and create scoring opportunities for his team, before capping off his game with a goal as a reward for his hard work.

Trent Bianco (15 disposals @ 53%, 187 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 12 kicks, 3 handballs, 9 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements & 2 goals) could not hit the side of a barn with a number of several uncharacteristic and inexplicable kicking errors. However, Bianco was able to convert a couple of goals to mask the amount of clangers he had produced.

Brody Mihocek (15 disposals @ 87%, 204 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 12 kicks, 3 handballs, 11 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 6 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) built his game on leading and presenting at the ball carrier with high distinction. Because of this, he was able to take marks in dangerous spots, and managed to impact the scoreboard meaningfully with a couple of goals to signify the effort and workload he had put in as Collingwood's spearhead.

Jamie Elliott (14 disposals @ 64%, 240 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 3 handballs, 7 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 5 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 2 goals) bobbed up forward with a couple of majors, and worked hard for the amount of marks he was able to take when the ball came from the midfield.

Josh Thomas (14 disposals @ 71 %, 210 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 3 handballs, 6 marks, 2 goal assists, 7 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) has endured a rough and tough season before producing his finest game of the 2021 season with high score involvement numbers where he set up a couple of goals, got on his bike to take marks across half-forward, before chiming in with a goal in what was a solid contribution.

Oliver Henry (11 disposals @ 73%, 128 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 3 goal assists & 6 score involvements) competed strongly to claim a handful of marks, before setting up goals for teammates in better positions to convert goals that Henry would normally choose to kick himself. Three quality games in a row for Ollie, as he becomes more accustomed to life as an AFL footballer.

Jack Ginnivan (10 disposals @ 70%, 225 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 5 marks, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 5 Inside 50s & 1 goal) adjusted quicker to the tempo of AFL footy in his second game (Ginnivan struggled on debut against Port Adelaide the previous game) by leading up at the kicker and created scoring forays from those marks. Ginnivan's moment in the sun came in the shadows of quarter time, where he sunk a bomb from outside 50 to nail his maiden AFL goal. All of his teammates got around him to acknowledge the moment of jubilation.

Darcy Cameron (9 disposals @ 89%, 121 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 5 hit-outs, 6 kicks, 3 handballs, 5 marks, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements & 1 goal) provided an option up forward to claim a handful of marks and made the most of a very simple shot at goal of which he was able to convert. Cameron was also used sparingly in the ruck when Grundy was being assessed by medical staff. Grundy was cleared of any damage to relieve Cameron of ruck duties, which enabled Darcy more time up forward where he was needed.

Collingwood's next game will be against Hawthorn on August 8 at UTAS Stadium in Launceston. This match will be Collingwood's first game ever in Tasmania for premiership points, as a result of Victoria not being able to facilitate crowds in the present future. The game will also be an interesting subplot regarding Alastair Clarkson who will be coaching Hawthorn for the remainder of the 2021 season before handing the reigns over to Sam Mitchell who will coach Hawthorn from 2022 instead of 2023. Time to send Clarkson out on a losing note, and continue the dominance from the victory over the Eagles with an equally commanding display against the Hawks in front of a strong contingent of Collingwood fans in Tasmania next Sunday afternoon.
Be nice to see the pies play in front of a crowd.

We had a handful of kids, but still a very experienced team, our ins this week were

Howe, Mayne, J.Thomas, WHE

Avg games was 100+

Our experienced players did the heavy lifting and let our kids shine.
Of those ‘ins’, while all handy, only 1 of them was a major factor in my view and that was Howe. He was a ‘General’ down there. Cool under pressure which is a huge benefit for guys like Madgen.

Still, we had arguably 2 of our best players not playing. And still almost a third of the team with under 10 or so games.

I think you have exposed yourself as Wilfully ignorant, by insisting that the kids I mentioned, needed to show elite traits from day one, as did Pendles, to justify the enthusiasm I, and most have shown here after the game.

That is a patently absurd benchmark in establishing whether any player will make a capable AFL player.
If fact players you’ve mentioned such as Crisp, IQ, Maynard didn’t meet that benchmark and are outstanding players today.

And the same could well apply to Ollie, McCrae, Poulter, McCreery, and Ginnivan

Was there a less elite player than Ben Johnson on day 1? :)

Was there a less elite player than Ben Johnson on day 1? :)

That Dane Swan bloke couldn’t get near it until he was year 5 and 22yo and Ben Reid was hopeless until year 4.

FWIW Henry has shown these past three weeks that he has elite tricks with those sticky hands and forward craft.

That Dane Swan bloke couldn’t get near it until he was year 5 and 22yo and Ben Reid was hopeless until year 4.

FWIW Henry has shown these past three weeks that he has elite tricks with those sticky hands and forward craft.
Jimmy Bartel played VFL for nearly all of his first 2 years. Didn't amount to much..

It was an odd statement really, wasn’t it? AFL history is littered with players who didn’t look like they’d amount to much initially, but then broke out and became out and out stars.

Perkins v henry (I’ve seen both play plenty of times), not sure how u class Perkins as elite. Haven’t seen anything to suggest this. He’s shown glimpses same as our kids have at times. He’s had shocking games as well, same as ours.
Now both as forwards, I know which stats I’d prefer! Only one of them is in elite status BTW 👍

Attachments

• B8B8033A-C50D-44EF-A5D8-1FE4D16052A5.jpeg
    B8B8033A-C50D-44EF-A5D8-1FE4D16052A5.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 1D7C32C0-B05D-4638-956D-EA43AACC2CEF.jpeg
    1D7C32C0-B05D-4638-956D-EA43AACC2CEF.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 55

Remove this Banner Ad

Back