Not open for further replies.

Grape Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 12, 2012
Middle of Nowhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
derbybanner.jpg

It's that time of year again - Western Derby XLII - and the stakes couldn't be higher for the two behemoth teams out west.

For Fremantle, a win that will signify a coming of age of sorts, when it finally draws level on wins against the establishment club (lack of flags notwithstanding - in before all you WCE flogs trot the trophy cabinet joke out) and firm our stranglehold on the minor premiership for the first time in our history.

For WCE, the chance to cling to their Top 2 berth and 2 guaranteed home finals on a year that not a lot of people gave them the chance early on. A massive top of the ladder clash as the season heats up in the run to the finals, between two teams that are desperate to find their best form leading into September.

Derbies are played with a lot of feeling at the worst of times - this one shapes up to be a battle for the ages. There will be biff. There will be carnage. There will only be one team left standing.

Hopefully, the last team standing will be ours.

The LAST FIVE TIMES
R3, 2015, Fremantle defeated West Coast Eagles 17.9 (111) to 12.9 (81) at Domain Stadium
R15, 2014, Fremantle 13.10 (88) d West Coast 11.15 (81) at Domain Stadium
R7, 2014, Fremantle 11.7 (73) d West Coast 7.12 (54) at Domain Stadium
R16, 2013, Fremantle 19.7 (121) d West Coast 14.9 (93) at Domain Stadium
R1, 2013, Fremantle 16.12 (108) d West Coast 11.14 (80) at Domain Stadium

The Last Time We Met

Perfect Fremantle showed up for Derby LXI, giving the Eagles a 9.2 (56-4) shellacking in the first term from which they never really recovered. The new attacking game plan was on full show in the first half, and what a thing of beauty it was. The margin blew out to 79 points by the third term; and, in a sign of things to come, with the massive lead came the inevitable lapse in concentration. The Eagles went on to kick the last five goals of the game and trimmed the margin to a respectable 30 points - but the result of that Derby was never in doubt from the first quarter.

Form Line (Last 5 games)

Fremantle Dockers - LWWWW
West Coast Eagles - WWWDL

There has been a lot of water under the bridge since that round 3 meeting, for both teams.

The Eagles have, in the perception of the media (and the easily brainwashed), firmed as genuine premiership favorites second only to the Hawks, after rebounding from their horror loss and disposing of teams opposing them with their potent attack and much improved team defense. Their midfield, once the butt of jokes in the competition, has lifted with an injection of youth and energy and hardness.

Whilst the hype can be cloying, some of it is deserved as they are playing well and cannot be taken lightly despite Fremantle's recent derby dominance and higher ladder position. They will be stinging from their 14-point loss to Hawthorn at home, and their confidence will be up after pushing the reigning premiers for most of their round 19 game.

On the other hand, the Dockers, despite being on top of the ladder, are still flying under the radar after a series of "unconvincing" wins mid-season. After a flying start to the year, the Dockers' premiership credentials took a hit following a big drop in their scoring ability and massive reaming by the Hawks in round 13. In spite of all the doubters, however, the boys in Purple keep grinding out the ugly wins, often with more heart than skill, and are pushing towards their first ever top finish.

There are good signs that the Dockers are on their way to recovering their early season form and maintaining their hunger for their first elusive flag. Their first quarter against St. Kilda was reminiscent of the Perfect Fremantle that dismantled the Eagles in round 3, and they will be eager to continue building on that performance as September draws near.

Key 22 Injury Doubts

It looks like the Dockers may be getting two of their most important players back - if all goes well on the recovery front - in Fyfe and Johnson. Whilst Fyfe's absence has been reasonably covered by the Fremantle midfield, Johnson's creativity, leadership, and composure from half-back has been sorely missed. He will be a massive inclusion to the side if he comes in, particularly in the light of Luke McPharlin's corked calf. It is unlikely that the match committee will be willing to risk Macca in the lead up to the finals, and if there is any doubt to his fitness, I doubt he will play.

There are doubts around whether Naitnui will be able to come back for this game, and the Eagles' ruck woes are compounded by the Sinclair injury, leaving Lycett as the lone hand against the formidable ruck combination of Griffiin and Sandilands. This weakens an area for the Eagles where the Dockers already have ascendancy, and is a massive advantage to Fremantle in the coming game. If the battle is to be won and lost in the midfield, those losses could be near fatal to their chances even before the first ball is bounced.

Tip
The Derby being the Derby is always unpredictable. On exposed form, both teams are in it up to their eyeballs; on available personnel, Fremantle have a slight edge. The game, as always, will need to be won in the middle as the Eagle's potent forward line will push our back six all day and will inevitably kick a reasonable score. Fremantle's scoring, whilst improved, has yet to reach the heights of earlier in the season and is still a point of concern leading into the finals.

Despite the hype and hoopla surrounding the Derby, there's one person not buying into it - Ross the Boss. At the end of the day, it's just 4 points - no more, no less. And he'll make sure that the boys stay focused with their eyes on the big prize. Hopefully, Perfect Fremantle come out to play on Sunday and put the game out of reach in the 1st quarter.

That said, realistically, I tip... Fremantle by 6.

Edit:
Weather Forecast for Sunday -
Top 19 C
90% chance of rain all day. :(

Last edited:
Just want to get in early, as the title suggests this is more preview thread than banter thread.

God we've gotten lazy though, is this the first preview thread since the last derby? Good work Grape Bear :thumbsu:

No, I did one for one of the other games... Maybe the Hawthorn one? Don't know if there were others.

Edit: I did a full one for R13 Collingwood, R15 Hawthorn. Not sure if there were any others.

Last edited:

Don't think there have been others, either way its definitely not a weekly event. I was pretty confident of a loss until today, reckon there were enough signs we're getting our mojo back. Reckon we'll blitz them in the middle but they'll hurt us counter attacking from HB. Going to be a beauty.

Hope Nic Nat plays. Won't be upset if he doesn't.

hopefully, our back six can continue holding up. LeCras is in doubt, too, pending MRP result - it will help our backline considerably.

Who usually matches up on Kennedy and Darling? Silvagni is brave but undersized for JK, and he's not quite mobile enough to follow Darling around. Shame Macca could be out, would have been good to get Johnson back in a role where he didn't have to play man-on-man. A Pearce can drift back, but he's pretty good up forward, much like Tabs, having him there keeps defenders honest.

So my partner is an weagles supporter and will be joining me at the game this week (he actually comes to every dockers game hehe)... Anyway we are wanting to make a bet with each other on who wins- I am in need of some ideas or suggestions on what I should make him do when he loses!!! After the last derby I did put a dockers members sticker on his car without him knowing- was there for 3 weeks before I finally caved and told him!! Priceless!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should go all out. Put the Eagles back in their box, finish what we started in round three. Make the competition sit up and notice that Freo play good footy. Make West Coast actually reconsider their ill timed rise up the ladder, and have them sitting trembling for finals. Play like there is no tomorrow, because essentially there won't be. Win the Derby, and we don't have to win another home and away game this year.

Then after that everyone who has played more than 15 games can play golf for three weeks. Or surf in the Maldives. Whatever. Let Weber restructure training for the run to finals so everyone is as fit as possible, like what happened in the lead up to round 1.

A victory in the derby opens up the remaining seven weeks to be on the coaches', and in particular the fitness staff's, terms. It becomes both a preseason and season within a season. Freo can reset and march onwards to October.

If you win then you do yourselves less favours for winning the GF. You give your main rival the hawks a home final, and you are likely to lose your home advantage facing us in a QF.
You should rest this game, let us win, avoid losing your home final advantage, soften the hawks up by making them travel again, and if you happen to meet us in the grand final, we will be rookies.
Have I convinced you to throw the game yet???

LeCras has been suspended for a week. No Freo players cited,

Mark LeCras, West Coast, has been charged with charged engaging in rough conduct against James Frawley, Hawthorn, during the second quarter of the Round 19 match between West Coast and Hawthorn, played at Domian Stadium on Saturday August 8, 2015.

In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Hawthorn Football Club, it was the view of the panel the incident should be classified as careless conduct with medium impact to the head. This offence was classified as a two-match sanction. The player has no applicable bad record. An early plea can reduce the penalty to a one-match sanction.

LeCras is a big out for West Coast as he is a major player not only in the forward line but in the midfield rotations as well .
Shuey will have to spend more time in there to give them balance . WC will have to recall Hill as a replacement and we already know he goes missing for long periods of the game . Barras will be recalled to cover Mcgoven and Yeo to play as the spare man in defence when Sandi or Griffin goes forward.
We should play Fyfe at CHF for most of this game . Hurn will be forced to man up on him which will prevent him from going forward and delivering the lace out passes to the Eagles forwards .
Silvagni should be given the job on Kennedy and Johnson on Darling .
Alex Pearce should start the game up forward on the HFF with Crozier on the other flank .With Fyfe at CHF this will seriously test the WC back 7.It will force WC to move Yeo out of the midfield and onto Fyfe .
Mzungu showed everyone how important he is to our team set up in the Saints game ,that run and marking ability will stretch any defence .

Outstanding preview Grape Bear !
And Coulda some interesting thoughts too. We've certainly showed we can get it done in the middle without Fyfe and in fact that we were probably being too Fyfe centric and predictable. Fyfe to play forward, I like it. He can always go in for a few bounces if he wants to go into beast mode which he probably does after watching from the stands for a few weeks.
Things are really starting to fall our way a bit this year in terms of having players fit and available and as sproketman said if we can win this we can go into mini preseason mode and really hit the finals hard.
All praise to Ross the Boss. I don't think I've ever seen our team (or many others) managed so well in terms of fitness and lack of injuries over a long season while still grinding out wins.

So my partner is an weagles supporter and will be joining me at the game this week (he actually comes to every dockers game hehe)... Anyway we are wanting to make a bet with each other on who wins- I am in need of some ideas or suggestions on what I should make him do when he loses!!! After the last derby I did put a dockers members sticker on his car without him knowing- was there for 3 weeks before I finally caved and told him!! Priceless!!

I have a bet going with my Eagles mate, that whoever wins hands over their guernesy to the loser and has to wear it after the game with a possible profile pic for Facebook.. If that helps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you win then you do yourselves less favours for winning the GF. You give your main rival the hawks a home final, and you are likely to lose your home advantage facing us in a QF.
You should rest this game, let us win, avoid losing your home final advantage, soften the hawks up by making them travel again, and if you happen to meet us in the grand final, we will be rookies.
Mate would be happy to avoid Hawks at all cost in the finals anyway. We want revenge for the 2013 GF. Playing you guys, when nearly most of the team hasn't played finals or have no defenders is more appealing tbh.

Haha..... no

Absolutely, yes you have.

Unfortunately, I don't think either RTB or the Freo players would ever buy into it.

This is a win-win game for Fremantle fans.
Win and we have achieved parity with the mob up the road, plus dented their finals hopes.
Lose and we have dented Hawthorns hopes of a top two finish, plus we can say that we threw the game and it doesn't mean anything.

To paraphrase a post on a Liverpool forum:

I hope we twat the twattishness out of these twats. Bitch slap them all over Bitchville like the bitches they are

I honestly wouldn't mind if Pav took a team photo of all the lads tea bagging an Eagles jumper and posted it on twatter

That wouldn't be letting the clubs image down. That would be captaincy of biblical proportions IMO

I quite dislike West Coast you see

"Prepare, play, review, get moving with what's in front of you."

Make him wear a Freo guernsey to the next Eagles home game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back