Game Day Round 20, Gold Coast Suns vs GWS Giants, Sat 6th August, 4.35pm, Metricon Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Pretty awesome display against the Tigers. Sort of just brushed them aside.

Apart from the percentage boost, we got a fantastic crowd at Manuka, and now hold the ground attendance record. Another feather in our cap - and it formerly belonged to the Swans.

Moving forward, this has been a very tough year qualifying for finals. Incredible as it seems, even though we’ve won 13 games, there’s still a mathematical chance we could miss out if we lost our last four games, and either Port or St. Kilda (or both) won all theirs. Of course, that’s highly unlikely. But we still need to win one more game to be safe.

And if we want top 4, or even top 2, then percentage becomes critical. The Swans are breathing down our neck. Geelong have the easiest run home. We’ve probably got the toughest. Everyone else seems to have a mixed bag with at least one danger game.

So for one reason or another, this week against the Suns is another “must win” game. It won’t be easy, as the Suns seem to have recovered from their mid-season collapse and are showing some real fight. They’d love to deny us.

As far as injuries are concerned, Rory Lobb should be OK. He seemed to have recovered sufficiently by game’s end yesterday to wander out on the ground without too much trouble. If there’s no serious damage, perhaps he can be rested for the Suns, just to be safe. Otherwise, with no NEAFL this week, players like Matt Buntine have another week to recover. The good things is that in a couple of weeks’ time, we’ll have a full list to choose from.

If we can knock off the Suns, we’re a very good chance to lock a top 4 spot, perhaps even second. What a fantastic achievement that would be.

We’ll beat them on Saturday. I just hope we keep our percentage up.

With Lobb likely to be rested, it will be interesting to see whether we replace him with another ruck (Downie), forward who rucks (Stewart), blood a youngster (Matt Flynn) or move Tommo forward and bring in someone else returning from injury/illness. (Hayne/Buntine)

With Lobb likely to be rested, it will be interesting to see whether we replace him with another ruck (Downie), forward who rucks (Stewart), blood a youngster (Matt Flynn) or move Tommo forward and bring in someone else returning from injury/illness. (Hayne/Buntine)

I would suspect they'll move Thommo forward and bring in Haynes or Buntine. Patton to second ruck (much as it sends ice down my back thinking about his knees in ruck contests) Thommo a chop out if needed.

I'd love to see Flynn get a guernsey been impressed with him from what NEAFL I've seen (and he's more of a Lobb type than Downie or Simpson who are Mummy replacements), but just can't see it.

bring in someone else returning from injury/illness. (Hayne/Buntine)

Hi, sorry for hi-jacking the preview thread. Big Giants fan, if Pear aren't in the finals I hope its you guys who trounce the Hawks (again, amirite?)
Is Haynes likely to return/why was he omitted? He was doing wonders in my Elite dream team, then left me high and dry just as finals start!

Hi, sorry for hi-jacking the preview thread. Big Giants fan, if Pear aren't in the finals I hope its you guys who trounce the Hawks (again, amirite?)
Is Haynes likely to return/why was he omitted? He was doing wonders in my Elite dream team, then left me high and dry just as finals start!

Haynes was a last minute withdrawal with illness - no injury, just not feeling the best, should be right to go again this week.

Not sure what to expect for this game, I would like to say a % booster but what i would like to see from this game
Good run of halfback
Win the contested ball
Patton/Cameron to take marks on the lead and in a pack and kick straight
4 points
no injuries
Several options for changes for this week, Lobb out the only likely change so it will be interesting to see on thursday when the teams are named
Whitfield/Steele/Kennedy
Haynes/Buntine
Stewart/WHE

Not sure what to expect for this game, I would like to say a % booster but what i would like to see from this game
Good run of halfback
Win the contested ball
Patton/Cameron to take marks on the lead and in a pack and kick straight
4 points
no injuries

Several options for changes for this week, Lobb out the only likely change so it will be interesting to see on thursday when the teams are named
Whitfield/Steele/Kennedy
Haynes/Buntine
Stewart/WHE
I'd be happy with just two of those, the rest are a bonus

I'm fine with WHE but really lookin forward to Bunts return. Want him match hardened at the pointy end IMO.

In Leon's press conference he said he'll make the call on Rory on Friday; but noted that Dyl was a bit sore.

Interestingly he said he wasn't keen on resting anyone and if they're at 90% they'll play.

I take it to mean that Leon is putting the best 22 available on the field no matter what.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ideally I'd like to see Haynes back in for Kennedy, Buntine for HH, rest Lobb and bring back Whitfield on wing, then WHE for Reid
Harry and Kenners unlucky, but agree we need both Haynes and Buntine back. Lobb is highly likely to be rested for our last two home games that will see strong ruck combos from the two WA teams. Would not be brining in WHE for Reid at this point. Reid has started to have an impact. If he follows his trajectory in improvement, Reid will be a very valuable asset come finals.

In Leon's press conference he said he'll make the call on Rory on Friday; but noted that Dyl was a bit sore.

Interestingly he said he wasn't keen on resting anyone and if they're at 90% they'll play.

I take it to mean that Leon is putting the best 22 available on the field no matter what.
You don't flirt with form at this point of the season. We have a fantastically healthy list at the moment. Us and the Hawks are travelling very well.

Harry and Kenners unlucky, but agree we need both Haynes and Buntine back. Lobb is highly likely to be rested for our last two home games that will see strong ruck combos from the two WA teams. Would not be brining in WHE for Reid at this point. Reid has started to have an impact. If he follows his trajectory in improvement, Reid will be a very valuable asset come finals.

You have a vastly better opinion of Reid's value than mine tbh.
The week prior he was genuinely awful, agreed he did well last week, but the side was downhill skiing, not sure that's a trajectory just yet

You have a vastly better opinion of Reid's value than mine tbh.
The week prior he was genuinely awful, agreed he did well last week, but the side was downhill skiing, not sure that's a trajectory just yet
Not sure our opinions of Reid are vastly different. I say if he keeps improving, then keep going with him. WHE is probably where we might really differ. I'd bring back Palmer over WHE. I don't rate the defensive side of his game. We need forward defensive pressure to be at its peak. SJ, Toby and Dev, plus one other to rotate through. That position is definitely up for grabs.

Drop Reid for Steele.

Rest Lobb, bringing in Simpson.

Yeah, I like Steele for Reid. Not sure about Simpson though (and that's only because I have no idea what ruck stocks the Coast have) Simpson and Mummy both big men. Lobb was more mobile.

Another thing to note this week is Patton's 50th game. We can't overlook the impact of two ACL recoveries and the determination to return to the AFL side. His marking and field kicking are elite. The rest of his game is building slowly. Congrats and good fortune to the General!

I think that we'll know who the match committee think are best 22 (and best 25) in the coming weeks.

Could we shift Tommo forward to play the defensive role, dropping Reid for Whitfield (if fit?)

The fact that Kenners is in the forward 50 a lot suggests that Leon and the match committee think our forward defence is a potential issue which could mean some otherwise unorthodox selections.

While I love them dearly, I don't want to rely on A-squared to kick goals. If they're defending up forward, well that's different.

Last edited:
Shaw Davis Buntine/patfull
Williams Corr Haynes
Scully ward Kelly
Johnson Cameron Greene
Smith Patton Lobb
Mummy Shiel coniglio

Wilson Griffen Whitfield WHE

That is a side good enough to bring home the cup this year.

Reid, Tomlinson, Kennedy, HH to be unlucky and make way over the coming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaw Davis Buntine/patfull
Williams Corr Haynes
Scully ward Kelly
Johnson Cameron Greene
Smith Patton Lobb
Mummy Shiel coniglio

Wilson Griffen Whitfield WHE

That is a side good enough to bring home the cup this year.

Reid, Tomlinson, Kennedy, HH to be unlucky and make way over the coming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just one detail, Bunts is further up the peçking order than bracketted IMO. Patful's experience might be useful but I agree a fully fit and firing Aiden Corr a good option. Has missed a lot of footy though.
Just details and discussion points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back