Autopsy Round 20 - Gold Coast vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Witts looked tired and banged up. One game rest would not hurt, the same for Swallow.

There's only 3 games left
I think the Captains will stretch to the end of August but I agree they look like the Memphis Belle after a German bombing run
Dave and Wittsy will come back and have great 2020's injury aside
This year will have hardened them up massively

There's only 3 games left
I think the Captains will stretch to the end of August but I agree they look like the Memphis Belle after a German bombing run
Dave and Wittsy will come back and have great 2020's injury aside
This year will have hardened them up massively
I hope you're right. We could also run them to the ground.

They have the best midfield in the league and the best ruck in the league. We were always gonna lose this battle
imo Bulldogs have the best midfield (not including ruck)... with Grundy and if our mids are in form maybe we edge them but on this years form I have to say Bulldogs have the best... their forward line just happens to be the worst in the league and completely wastes their midfield dominance. if Suns get pick 2 as a priority pick it should help the midfield which is the biggest area you need to address. King and Lukoscious (no idea how to spell) look fantastic, maybe put Wright up for trade to help land a mid

He was better than was you saw. I remember when he actually beat Treloar in one on one contest which actually shocked me :)
It was Travis Varcoe on a couple of occasions.
Pretty fast, seasoned campaigner.

We come out of the woodwork in trade week when there is some level of hope for the future
The peak of the season for suns fans! I for one struggle to even watch a single half of a suns game at the moment. Its also turning me off footy a bit actually, and i think thats due to the fact that the majority of the footy i watch has been suns games and those games are just very poor games.

Fix us or fold us, the long suffering small band of Suns fans are over this purgatory the AFL has put us in. Frankly if we fold that’s it for me with AFL, done and dusted

When I first moved to Qld in 2000 I didn’t watch footy at all as I had no local team to go and see. It wasn’t until 2009 that my love of the game was reignited but this is beyond a joke now, the AFL have been taking the piss and we have been the urinal

Fix us or fold us, the long suffering small band of Suns fans are over this purgatory the AFL has put us in. Frankly if we fold that’s it for me with AFL, done and dusted

When I first moved to Qld in 2000 I didn’t watch footy at all as I had no local team to go and see. It wasn’t until 2009 that my love of the game was reignited but this is beyond a joke now, the AFL have been taking the piss and we have been the urinal
Sadly I can only see GCS as feeder club, VIC media want Tasmania so they can be the next feeder club.

+1.
That would mean standing up to the AFLPA & the small band of powerful Victorian clubs. Gil is a weak leader and I can't see it happening unfortunately.

On Sunday for the 1st time in 9 years whilst sitting on the train heading home, I was embarrassed for my kids to wear Suns colours. When Collingwood supporters no longer laugh but have pity then it's close to the end for me.

I really love the club but each year when the siren sounds at round 23 it's actually now a big relief.

+1.
That would mean standing up to the AFLPA & the small band of powerful Victorian clubs. Gil is a weak leader and I can't see it happening unfortunately.

On Sunday for the 1st time in 9 years whilst sitting on the train heading home, I was embarrassed for my kids to wear Suns colours. When Collingwood supporters no longer laugh but have pity then it's close to the end for me.

I really love the club but each year when the siren sounds at round 23 it's actually now a big relief.
Sadly on the train home to Geelong i take off my Suns gear. Didn't really want to deal with a train full of Carlton and Collingwood fans. I still enjoy going and watch but footy just isn't the same. Not really excited for finals like i used to be as a neutral.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly on the train home to Geelong i take off my Suns gear. Didn't really want to deal with a train full of Carlton and Collingwood fans. I still enjoy going and watch but footy just isn't the same. Not really excited for finals like i used to be as a neutral.
Did you go to the post match function this year?

Would any of you follow the club if they were relocated to tassie?

Edit: I don't want GC relocated, I've just heard the idea floated around and wonder what the fans think of it.

Last edited:

Edit: I don't want GC relocated, I've just heard the idea floated around and wonder what the fans think of it.
No, but it is not going to happen anyway. We will succeed in Queensland. We wouldn't in Tasmania.

Did you go to the post match function this year?
Yes i did. It was pretty much like most years. Didn't talk to many players but Witts and Touk were legends as always. It was great Mark Evans could get up there and say all this positivity but it's the same stuff every year, the message has less cut through each time we hear it.

Haha that would be well received on here.

Also if the Suns were to wind up, I would be done with AFL, I have NFL, NBA and the PL to fill the sports void.

No, and I wouldn’t follow any other club either. NBA and cricket for me

Nope
I'd be done with AFL if they took our licence and I reckon they'd kill AFL participation on the Coast at the same time
Iva Bigun and I have had a similar pathway
Raised in the heartland loved it lived it played it then just dwindling interest into my 30's
The Suns fired me up like I was 11yo going down to Melbourne to watch North at Arden Street again
If the AFL was honest they'd cut St Kilda Western Bulldogs North and Melbourne but they never will so it's all just half arsed
If you're not supporting a major team good luck to you
I'm sure the Lions would try and pick over our bones by playing matches at Metricon and I'd probably go
But only to boo them

Nope
I'd be done with AFL if they took our licence and I reckon they'd kill AFL participation on the Coast at the same time
Iva Bigun and I have had a similar pathway
Raised in the heartland loved it lived it played it then just dwindling interest into my 30's
The Suns fired me up like I was 11yo going down to Melbourne to watch North at Arden Street again
If the AFL was honest they'd cut St Kilda Western Bulldogs North and Melbourne but they never will so it's all just half arsed
If you're not supporting a major team good luck to you
I'm sure the Lions would try and pick over our bones by playing matches at Metricon and I'd probably go
But only to boo them

Which is exactly they Suns aren't going anywhere. Participation has skyrocketed, and no way would the AFL would want to dwindle that by taking them away.

We won't be re-located to Tassie so it's a moot point....here's part of Tony Cochrane's speech just a few days ago

“Our real success is born out of the growth of AFL at all levels in both the Gold Coast region and importantly our Academy region in North Queensland and more generally in Queensland.
“Facts don’t lie, the total participation this year in Queensland in AFL is up 5.2% to 265,760 registered participants.
Cochrane went on to speak about the success of the Queensland Schools system, with 578 teams registered in the AFLQ Schools Cup in 2019, up from 174 in 2015.
Next year the Schools Cup is projected to surpass 600 teams.
“The Schools program and competition participants totalled out this year at 202,609 – that’s the third-highest in Australia behind the up-and-coming states of Victoria and WA,” Cochrane said.
“Female participation this year has peaked at 111,642 which is up nearly 19% of the previous year.

Participation on the Gold Coast and Northern New South Wales is up to 59,000, with Cochrane pointing out 10 years ago that figure was 20% of what it is now.
“So in both our zones combined, in a non-AFL state as we’re constantly reminded, we have nearly twice the participation rate of the entire state of Tasmania,” The SUNS Chairman said.

And we have an AFLW team joining next year......

So no way will the AFL re-locate us to Tassie.....just sayin'

We won't be re-located to Tassie so it's a moot point....here's part of Tony Cochrane's speech just a few days ago

“Our real success is born out of the growth of AFL at all levels in both the Gold Coast region and importantly our Academy region in North Queensland and more generally in Queensland.
“Facts don’t lie, the total participation this year in Queensland in AFL is up 5.2% to 265,760 registered participants.
Cochrane went on to speak about the success of the Queensland Schools system, with 578 teams registered in the AFLQ Schools Cup in 2019, up from 174 in 2015.
Next year the Schools Cup is projected to surpass 600 teams.
“The Schools program and competition participants totalled out this year at 202,609 – that’s the third-highest in Australia behind the up-and-coming states of Victoria and WA,” Cochrane said.
“Female participation this year has peaked at 111,642 which is up nearly 19% of the previous year.

Participation on the Gold Coast and Northern New South Wales is up to 59,000, with Cochrane pointing out 10 years ago that figure was 20% of what it is now.
“So in both our zones combined, in a non-AFL state as we’re constantly reminded, we have nearly twice the participation rate of the entire state of Tasmania,” The SUNS Chairman said.

And we have an AFLW team joining next year......

So no way will the AFL re-locate us to Tassie.....just sayin'
Oh yeah there's no way the AFL is losing a footprint in the 6th biggest city in Australia

Oh yeah there's no way the AFL is losing a footprint in the 6th biggest city in Australia
GCS need to play the mind games with VIC media, they knew AFL not going to move GCS to Tasmania, they just use it as an excuses not to give help to GCS eg priority pick . Just tell them if they want to move go ahead and dare them. How stupid it is to have a GCS women team and a men Tasmania team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back