Review Round 20 GWS Giants v Sydney Swans - 2.10 pm Saturday 3 August 2019 @ Giants Stadium

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
1 GWS v Syd.PNG

Never in doubt. ;)

I know it became uncomfortably close at the end, but I always thought we had their measure. The win sees us stabilise our place in the top eight for the moment and puts us back in the hunt for a home final, maybe even the double chance.

Having said that, it was a strange result. We lost the disposal count (significantly), kicks, handballs (significantly), free kicks (of course), clearances, stoppages, inside 50s as well as marks inside 50, contested possessions, tackles, hit-outs and interchanges. We also had less scoring shots. By all accounts, we should have lost.

We won because once again, we didn’t have any passengers. There seems to have been a sea-change in team attitude. The dual ruck thing with Simpson and Mumford is still working. Keeffe basically justified his inclusion with ten one percenters, the most of any player for the match. His effort was certainly there. So we seem to have steadied a bit; this particular combination of players is winning matches.

Now for next Saturday afternoon. Big Brother, AKA the Sydney Swans, is coming over to our place in rather unusual circumstances. I believe this is going to be the first time the Swans are no chance of making the eight since we came into the world back in 2012.

It sort of takes all the intrigue out of the game, because, apart from tormenting us, they don’t really have anything to play for, whereas we certainly do. Knock off Big Brother and we’re just about there.

We got through the Port game without any serious injuries; as I understand it, Sam Taylor, who has slotted in to the side like a hand in a glove, is not badly injured and will almost certainly be rested. Of more concern to me was the late withdrawal of Adam Kennedy over his heart condition. Josh Kelly might come back but more likely will return for the Hawks game the following week.

There’s not much more to speculate on, apart from the size of the crowd. We’ll probably crack 20K for the first time this season, and seriously, with 30,000 members, we should be the majority for the first time at one of these home derbies. We shall see. :think:

I’m not expecting us to lose and I don’t think we will. And I’m really looking forward to it.

So, let’s go Giants, let’s go! :clapping:

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Anyone else feel like the cheer squad rhythm is too slow?
I appreciate their efforts but I hope they increase the beat a bit.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Great looking day. A little overcast maybe but pretty good conditions for the game. About to head in to see the end of the Magoos.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Rumours were it was going to be our lowest crowd for a derby. 15 to 17k.

Wonder why they put it early arvo?

Sat night would of gotten a bigger crowd.

Oh well have to mute the audio so we don't have to hear the usual b.s. commentary.

I wonder if there was a stuff up over the ticket upgrades? I kept getting emails and texts from the club telling me to upgrade, even though I already had.

Back