Preview Round 20 - GWS Giants vs Sydney Swans, Saturday 3rd August, Sydney Showground Stadium, 2.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Never in doubt. ;)

I know it became uncomfortably close at the end, but I always thought we had their measure. The win sees us stabilise our place in the top eight for the moment and puts us back in the hunt for a home final, maybe even the double chance.

Having said that, it was a strange result. We lost the disposal count (significantly), kicks, handballs (significantly), free kicks (of course), clearances, stoppages, inside 50s as well as marks inside 50, contested possessions, tackles, hit-outs and interchanges. We also had less scoring shots. By all accounts, we should have lost.

We won because once again, we didn’t have any passengers. There seems to have been a sea-change in team attitude. The dual ruck thing with Simpson and Mumford is still working. Keeffe basically justified his inclusion with ten one percenters, the most of any player for the match. His effort was certainly there. So we seem to have steadied a bit; this particular combination of players is winning matches.

Now for next Saturday afternoon. Big Brother, AKA the Sydney Swans, is coming over to our place in rather unusual circumstances. I believe this is going to be the first time the Swans are no chance of making the eight since we came into the world back in 2012.

It sort of takes all the intrigue out of the game, because, apart from tormenting us, they don’t really have anything to play for, whereas we certainly do. Knock off Big Brother and we’re just about there.

We got through the Port game without any serious injuries; as I understand it, Sam Taylor, who has slotted in to the side like a hand in a glove, is not badly injured and will almost certainly be rested. Of more concern to me was the late withdrawal of Adam Kennedy over his heart condition. Josh Kelly might come back but more likely will return for the Hawks game the following week.

There’s not much more to speculate on, apart from the size of the crowd. We’ll probably crack 20K for the first time this season, and seriously, with 30,000 members, we should be the majority for the first time at one of these home derbies. We shall see. :think:

I’m not expecting us to lose and I don’t think we will. And I’m really looking forward to it.

So, let’s go Giants, let’s go! :clapping:

Last edited:

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Not the preferred timeslot and hopefully a good day will see the sold out sign go up although without Buddy and with finals not on the cards a few less Swans supporters will make the trek
I cant see any of the injured coming straight into the team but interesting that Stein and Bonar travelled with the squad to Adelaide so it may have been not just Kennedy in doubt for the game but looking forward to this game although I think all the derbys/showdowns should be Saturday nights
my team for the game with a few in contention and looking at the swans set up this week I cant see many changes with no certain inclusions looking to come straight back in apart from the late withdrawl in Florent

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor/Keefe Perryman
Whitfield Taranto Tomlinson
Daniels Cameron Deledio
TOJ HH Hill
Mumford Hopper Greene
Reid Lloyd Hately Kennedy/Bonar/Caldwell/Shipley/Stein

Any of the last 5 could get a game and also depending on how Taylor pulls up Keefe could play as a tall defender so Haynes and Davis could intercept, I personally would like to see Bonar come in as he has been playing ok in the NEAFL and as a big body he could allow an option for Taranto and Hopper to spend some time forward

Last edited:

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Let's do this.
source.gif

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
We showed some poise and maturity in holding out for the win last week. That said our disposal was shockingly bad. Here is hoping kelly is right to go (doubt it) as his ball use is good. I don’t really like the idea of him and deboar coming back in the same week (hawks game) just as it is a large disruption to what has worked well for us

Here is hoping we beat them soundly on the outside and play that attractive football everyone likes to watch

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
I hope the inconsistency doesn't raise its head, because make no mistake this will mean more to the swans than we think.

They are playing for bragging rights, and did well against Geelong

If we have no buntine or Taylor who comes into that defensive spot? I'm not sold on keefe

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Rampe our for them is huge

I can see a lot of fast ball movement into long kicks to isolate match ups

Their back line will struggle with the three talls

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
If Taylor doesn't play, I'd prefer to have Stein over Keeffe. The Sydney tall forwards (Sam Reid, Tom McCartin & Nick Blakey) are all pretty mobile, so having a glacially-moving oak tree as second defender won't work IMHO. Plus Blakey runs through the midfield a lot - I'd be happy to put Tommo on him, with Davis/Stein on Reid/McCartin & still leave Nick Haynes free - with some flexibility to move the 4 defending talls around if needed. Plus HH could drop back onto Blakey or into defence if required.

We simply cannot play 2 slow rucks either. One of them comes out for a midfielder - happy if Lids returns.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
God I hope we don’t do the two ruck thing again!

I agree, one of the reasons you nearly got beat.

I disagree with a lot of commentators that GWS was lucky as I thought they should have one by more as Port got a few easy.lucky goals and GWS should have kicked more and misses some easy ones.

Becoming more evident Williams is more effective up the ground where he can use his speed and any errors are not as costly as in the backline.

I was surprised how well GWS held up given the two ruckman, Taylor out and a quite tall team in general inhibiting run and its benefits.

Despite the height one thing for sure is how well Cameron, Himma and Finlayson operate together especially with Cameron CHF!!:thumbsu:

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
If Taylor doesn't play, I'd prefer to have Stein over Keeffe. The Sydney tall forwards (Sam Reid, Tom McCartin & Nick Blakey) are all pretty mobile, so having a glacially-moving oak tree as second defender won't work IMHO. Plus Blakey runs through the midfield a lot - I'd be happy to put Tommo on him, with Davis/Stein on Reid/McCartin & still leave Nick Haynes free - with some flexibility to move the 4 defending talls around if needed. Plus HH could drop back onto Blakey or into defence if required.

We simply cannot play 2 slow rucks either. One of them comes out for a midfielder - happy if Lids returns.
No idea who is available but id a ruck and Keefe come out for like a Deledio and Caldwell the run should improve dramatically one would think!!

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
No idea who is available but id a ruck and Keefe come out for like a Deledio and Caldwell the run should improve dramatically one would think!!
I think we'd need another tall in the backline, unless Tommo was to take the second tall position and Haynes third tall - which would be possible given how the Swans lineup is likely looking. Happy to have more run in our team - a running game firing into our tall forward line should overmatch the patchwork Swans backline.

If we continue to play two slow rucks and Keeffe we could lose this on dumb team selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Tracks work for this week..

Buses replace trains between;

Hornsby and Wynyard (North Shore Line)

Bankstown line all kinds of screwed up.
Trains running between Liverpool or Lidcombe and Sydenham only.

Western lines have changed time tables.
Richmond services go to Olympic Park
Penrith/Blacktown terminate at Central.

Usually put this in the opposition's board as well but...
7j20N5.gif

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Shaw Davis Haynes
Kennedy Keeffe Reid
Williams Greene Whitfield
Deledio Cameron Lloyd
Daniels HH Hill
Mummy Taranto Hopper

Finlayson Tomlinson Hately Perryman

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Don’t get all the Stein love. Thought he was pretty ordinary last start and happy for him to work on his craft more in the NEAFL.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I thought he was very solid in his debut and OK in his second match (certainly worse against the Pies than the Roos) but not poor. From my perspective, I think he's more mobile than Keeffe and despite his comparatively less AFL experience than Lachie he'd be a better choice given the opposition that we're playing as well as development for the future.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Don’t get all the Stein love. Thought he was pretty ordinary last start and happy for him to work on his craft more in the NEAFL.
I think he has shown a capicity to show composure under pressure. He rarely turns it over or gets beaten by his man.

I like that in a rookie backman.

certainly a better prospect than Keefe IMO

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
From the rehab report it sounds like Deledio and Kennedy will come back in and it is just if they have a 3rd change but it could depend how the swans line up with a tall coming in for Rampe. I think that is likely with the threat of the 3 tall forwards they may bring in Amartey or Knoll for a debut allowing Mclean to play back

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

I think one of the keys lately has been the improved defensive set-up of the Giants.

I think while Williams can be penetrating with his disposal he can also be erratic. In this respect Williams in the midfield provides better shape for the Giants all around as his speed can be exploited more with more space in the middle while he also has the dexterity to create space from inside in terms of clearance. The dexterity/speed combination of Williams is also formidable defensively around the middle causing issues for the opposition. Having a hardman like Hopper in the middle has been telling as well as two way Taranto which improves the defensive set up as well including his smothers fostering a defensive accountable set-up all over the ground to support the defence. GWS should have won by more but apart from a few defensive lapses the way GWS held firm was critical in their development. Although, Port had more shots I thought that was a sign in that game GWS defending better and not conceding easy shots and allowing too many easy goals as they were prone to in the past.

As well I think the inclusion of Greene in the middle is important for the cohesion with Cameron at CHF. Unlike Treloar and Shiel who over played their wheels. getting carried away with their speed throwing the teams cohesion out, Greene's disposal allows quick dependable forward transition and thrusts that Cameron as a CHF can rely on especially when playing in front. It allows Cameron to roam up the great and exploit his elite mobility and speed to break apart opposition defences which has been missing in recent years. In this way a superior defensive shape also can be fostered while the surge from Cameron and others in the forward half still can be utilised. I think think when Kelly gets back, like a Gary Ablett snr and a Whitfield such artisans with the ball should be afforded more space to exploit their disposal craft. Thats why I think Kelly should be more on a flank in space like Whitfield because he is less of a scrapper in tight and ideally with more time his precision can hurt the opposition more. Kelly might even be able to play a high half forward in a rotation because his precise disposal is something the team ideally would wish to exploit.

I thought Keefe was quite good when he played generally however the mobility and run of the Giants could be a concern especially with two ruckman present and the possibility of players getting injured like Taylor. Given the size of Tomlinson and his aerobic capacity the ability to utilise Tomlinson in the ruck where he is stronger in the contest on the ground is a terrific point of difference against certain match ups that should not be ignored either.

Having said that I think. although tight, the win was an important win for the progression of the Giants with the idea bigger and better things may eventuate not to far away on the horizon!

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Thought Daniels’ stint in the midfield last week was huge. Consecutive clearances which led to back to back goals. The first was so impressive; active, quick feet, great hands, and the follow up run. I’m not a huge fan of Leon Cameron but I’ve liked how he’s thrown Greene and Daniels in the midfield lately. Need those extra options.

Thought Daniels’ stint in the midfield last week was huge. Consecutive clearances which led to back to back goals. The first was so impressive; active, quick feet, great hands, and the follow up run. I’m not a huge fan of Leon Cameron but I’ve liked how he’s thrown Greene and Daniels in the midfield lately. Need those extra options.
Second most clearances from the middle after Taranto's three as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back