Autopsy Round 20: Hawks defeated by Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

In my opinion of what is going is Hawthorn is now perceived as a soft target by other teams in the AFL and put pressure on them and they will fold. Same thing may be happening at Box Hill. Once this happens it will take a big turn around to change that reputation. However having said that it does not explain how Hawthorn beat sides above them on the ladder GWS, Collingwood and Geelong and a close loss to the Eagles. Therefore I have no idea what is going on.

You can’t be serious?!

Is this the one Wood went down like he’d been shot?
Sure is
The Sicily rule strikes again

That is unbelievable - it must be a different incident surely?

Fining a player 3K because a player takes a dive when their run is checked is just unacceptable.

I would love to see some other vision that justifies this, there was no strike in the footage last night.

What I find promising is that this is the 'coming of age' year for our shining lights in Worps and Lewis. With another pre-season under their belts, they should really expect to establish themselves at AFL level. Lewis looks really surprised sometimes at how easy he can get the ball. With a bit more confidence in his ability and goal kicking, he could be spectacular. As for Worps, he's pretty much telling the club he doesn't play second string to anyone, no matter who they recruit next year.

Hawks unfortunately of this year are not consistent. Their skills from game to game and within the game can vary enormously.
Our possessions are therefore far less damaging as a whole. We do try our best and played the game out like we normally do but we are not finishing our work
It is frustrating but that's what a side in transition looks like there are no short cuts we need the games together there will be changes of personnel and they will also need to adjust and come in and play within the Hawthorn system. Nothing comes easy its hard work. Head down bum up and onto next week

Fining a player 3K because a player takes a dive when their run is checked is just unacceptable.

I would love to see some other vision that justifies this, there was no strike in the footage last night.

I just can’t think of any other incident unless it was behind the play that would warrant a review

“Charge Laid:
James Sicily, Hawthorn, has been charged with Striking Mason Wood, North Melbourne, during the third quarter of the Round 20 match between North Melbourne and Hawthorn, played at the Marvel Stadium on Friday August 2.

In summary he can accept a $3000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct with Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a $5000 sanction as a second offence. The player can accept a $3000 sanction with an early plea.”

Found this - 3rd quarter so maybe not

Utter disgrace - if true, club should back Sicily and challenge this vigorously.

I'm not one to believe in conspiracies, but the AFL really has it in for Sicily.

When you have Media commentary referring to the Sicily rule you can’t help but think you’re right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not one to believe in conspiracies, but the AFL really has it in for Sicily.

Yeah, it's alright though..they had it in for Dermie too...didn't stop him thumping someone when they deserved it. LOL.
The big giveaway for me was that run through the early to mid season...Sicily had noticably cleaned up his play and calmed his demeaner...yet sure enough every week the commetry doofuses would go on about bad boy Sicily and so on.

There is no real nice way to say this..

We (hawks), are piss weak. Lacking real hunger, senior guys are content as mentioned and lazy.

Clarko would be furious IMO, if we had the Cattle, I reckon quite a few guys would be dropped.

Yeah, it's alright though..they had it in for Dermie too...didn't stop him thumping someone when they deserved it. LOL.
The big giveaway for me was that run through the early to mid season...Sicily had noticably cleaned up his play and calmed his demeaner...yet sure enough every week the commetry doofuses would go on about bad boy Sicily and so on.
of course Siciliy would be a Demi-god if he played for Melbourne.

When you have Media commentary referring to the Sicily rule you can’t help but think you’re right
I’d love to see Sicily file a claim against the AFL for harassment & compile a video of all the things that he gets pinged for, that other players get off (or do to him with impunity).

It’d be great to see the AFL have to explain why they treat him differently.

Gotta be 1 of 2x explanations:

1. “Yeah, we do treat him differently” = case upheld.

2. “S**t, we’re incompetent & failed in our duty to protect Sicily & provide a safe place of work...”

Last edited:
I’d love to see Sicily file a claim against the AFL for harassment & compile a video of all the things that he gets pinged for, that other players get off (or do to him with impunity).

It’d be great to see the AFL have to explain why they treat him differently.

Gotta be. Of 2x explanations:

1. “Yeah, we do treat him differently” = case upheld.

2. “S**t, we’re incompetent & failed in our duty to protect Sicily & provide a safe place of work...”
Its good to hear the commentators have been onto it the last 2 weeks
and all in agreement too

of course Siciliy would be a Demi-god if he played for Melbourne.
Yet look at the way they laugh about (and praise) Mumford's approach to running through players and taking them out. The AFL reckon they want to get rid of the rough stuff but they allow it to be praised and promoted by the dumb commentators in Mumford's case.

There is no real nice way to say this..

We (hawks), are piss weak. Lacking real hunger, senior guys are content as mentioned and lazy.

Clarko would be furious IMO, if we had the Cattle, I reckon quite a few guys would be dropped.
“We”. Good one.

Nice alias.

Its good to hear the commentators have been onto it the last 2 weeks
and all in agreement too
Most in the comm box are from an era where there were characters in the game. And I don’t think they like the attempted sterilisation of the game that seems to be happening. In truth though those brash characters of years gone by were probably penalised just as Sis is now, authority and brash characters don’t mix perhaps.

The first ten minutes of a game is bonus time in terms of scoring. Scoring goals at this point of the game doesn't matter - it's irrelevant. The coaches are examining the game plans they brought in and will make changes. The players are sizing each other up.

North were on top of us after the halfway point of the first quarter. In terms of effort and intensity. Once their skill/execution/structure caught up to their intensity it was only a matter of time, because we couldn't go a level above what we brought in that first ten minutes.

Note - North did to us exactly what we did to them early in the year. Burst out with a 4 goal lead to have it whittled away and overcome to a comfortable victory to the opposition.

In terms of leadership - everyone needs to watch Chad Wingard and his effort throughout the whole game. He just kept going. 2nd and 3rd efforts. Chasing. Trying to create, trying to open the game up. THAT'S what you need your best players doing.

Gunston's goal (and last week's mark and goal) were great. But that was it. The follow up, the chasing, the marking, the setting up, the calming of teammates - it wasn't there. It takes more than that.

Shielsy was moved to a half forward flank - that killed us. Not sure what the thinking was, but Cunnington and the other dude loved it who kicked the last goal loved it.

I don't like Stratton's call that with a young side it's hard to sustain 4 quarters. It's true - Worpel slowed, Lewis looked like he was going to have a huge one but didn't in the end. But i don't like it because it's Stratton, Breust, Gunston, Smith, Puopolo that are struggling more than most to deliver a four quarter performance.

But the thing that the first 10 mins versus the rest of teh game shows is that there's a very fine line between brilliance and disaster. Some teams, usually experienced ones, can control the game, get it back on terms and then push it the other way. Other teams fold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back