Preview Round 20 - Lions vs the Hawks, 2:10pm, Sunday Aug 1 @ UTAS Stadium, Launceston (at the moment)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, I've deleted stupid threads quicker than merging yours across. :D Deletion is a single step, merging is at least three.

That's why my threads keep disappearing

That's why my threads keep disappearing
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.

Only 4 games to play till finals > Hawks, Dockers, Magpies, Eagles. Win all 4 and we will highly likely be top 4 with a rough chance of top 2.

Outs- Grant Birchall, Callum Ah Chee.

Ins- Jaxon Prior, Tom Berry.

I thought Ah Chee was okay. Done nothing the first half but no one did.

As bad as Birchall has been of late, he isn’t alone and with Gardiner and Adams out we are depleted down there. He is better then the other available options.

Hopefully someone performs well in the seconds and puts some pressure on the seniors now they have a bit more talent back around the ball.

I thought Ah Chee was okay. Done nothing the first half but no one did.

As bad as Birchall has been of late, he isn’t alone and with Gardiner and Adams out we are depleted down there. He is better then the other available options.

Hopefully someone performs well in the seconds and puts some pressure on the seniors now they have a bit more talent back around the ball.
I'd have Jaxon Prior as a straight swap for Grant Birchall, Birchall's supposed strength is his kicking... very rarely does he take on an attacking kick any longer, he just gets the handball received and goes long down the line, IMO Prior could do that just as well if not better, is strong in the contest and also has a deal more pace.

Grant wont get omitted though, he's obviously performing the role to the match committees instructions to a good degree.

TBerry or Cockatoo for Birchall and Ah Chee plays down back

If we get our s**t together then we can win all remaining games, Fremantle in Perth would be a tough one, our closest top 4 contender is Port who play the dogs in round 23 so if we don’t drop another there’s a good chance we could jump them on % to reclaim top 4 in the final round.

Don't think Birchall or Ah Chee will get dropped. The worry with Birchall is that when the game was hot he kicked it straight to the opposition under no pressure three times. Something he never did.

Likely no change. I've been a defender of Birchall but I'm wavering.

If we get our s**t together then we can win all remaining games, Fremantle in Perth would be a tough one, our closest top 4 contender is Port who play the dogs in round 23 so if we don’t drop another there’s a good chance we could jump them on % to reclaim top 4 in the final round.
Don't think we'll end up playing Freo in WA. Jon Ralph said the other night that Lions may stay in Vic if we can get there this week, but issue is we can't get back into QLD. I wouldn't be surprised if we play Hawks in either Launey or Metricon and then play Freo in a neutral venue or even Vic if we wind up there.

As for next week, I agree with Jason. Would rather Birch out but don't think Fages second fav son will be dropped. HE probably deserves a go against Hawks if in Tas in his farewell game haha

No changes. We need to win all remaining games and hope round 23 helps us out to make top 4. Only changes now until the finals will be Adams and Gardiner if they are fit and Gardiner has had a run in the reserves. I probably only see one of them back and birches and Lester are the likely outs.

One exception - Cockatoo. He should play the Reserves scratch match today (Sunday) providing he gets through ok I think we get him a run in the top grade somehow, he could add a point of difference to the mid-field going into finals. Just something for other teams to think about in the rotation.

So Lochie must be playing injured , has had little impact last couple of games , we need him up soon if we are are looking at a top 4 slot. Need Adam’s as well

Don't think we'll end up playing Freo in WA. Jon Ralph said the other night that Lions may stay in Vic if we can get there this week, but issue is we can't get back into QLD. I wouldn't be surprised if we play Hawks in either Launey or Metricon and then play Freo in a neutral venue or even Vic if we wind up there.

As for next week, I agree with Jason. Would rather Birch out but don't think Fages second fav son will be dropped. HE probably deserves a go against Hawks if in Tas in his farewell game haha

Tempted to say Hawks & Freo at Metricon and then two at the Gabba to finish the main season but given our wretched luck at Metricon, id be slightly nervous if that’s how it pans out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im uncertain on Ah Chees first game back forward. I think his forward pressure was decent and the two goals were decent but want to see him get involved more than that

Hard to get involved for four quarters in his role though. Many of the entries were shallow and left as soon as they arrived - it's not like there's much a small can do in situations like that. It's no coincidence he started playing well when our mids got the ball deeper and we were able to activate our forward press.

Don't think Birchall or Ah Chee will get dropped. The worry with Birchall is that when the game was hot he kicked it straight to the opposition under no pressure three times. Something he never did.

Likely no change. I've been a defender of Birchall but I'm wavering.
He’s been doing it all year.

If Lachie is carrying an injury - why not rest him for a few weeks and let his recharge for the finals.

Mathieson was more than serviceable when Lachie was injured and can cover the role for a few weeks.
The game where Mathieson struggled was the one where he had to play with Lachie in the team and he was out of position

Birchall getting close to out although as I said who in. Prior been patchy as well. Ballenden maybe? If Schache can play back.
So Ah Chee back again and either Cockatoo and T Berry in
Just think Cockatoo getting close and has talent.
T Berry just throws himself at it. You probably see him taking M Robbo spot eventually.

When he was playing well.
He’s been kicking to the opposition when not under pressure all year, when trying to take the game on.

As I’ve repeatedly said, his first option is to almost always look for Rich first.

We rarely move the ball fast out of our defensive 50.

We wait for our mids and forwards to set up down the line, then feed Rich the ball for the kick down the line. We don’t need Birchall in the team if this is our go to set up.

Keen to see Cockatoo as well and get the feeling the club would like him in the team comes finals. Fagan seems to pushing toward his finals team. Injuries aside.

Ah Chee is the obvious one based on yesterday’s performance. Though he’s been persisted with for the best part of two years now. Fagan won’t drop Birchall, as much as I’d dance if he did.

The less obvious options are Robertson and Lester. Robertson stays, he’s playing his role and developing. Lester seems a Fagan favorite as well, though Ah Chee could swing back for Lester freeing up a spot for Cockatoo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s been kicking to the opposition when not under pressure all year, when trying to take the game on.

As I’ve repeatedly said, his first option is to almost always look for Rich first.

We rarely move the ball fast out of our defensive 50.

We wait for our mids and forwards to set up down the line, then feed Rich the ball for the kick down the line. We don’t need Birchall in the team if this is our go to set up.
That's been the issue in games where we've been under pressure . We try to slow it down from the backline but invariably turn it over when we're not precise with our kicking and./or when we're struggling at contested ball.

I thought Birchall was good last year, particularly in important games ,and reasonably good for quite a few games until the last 5 or 6 games where his precision kicking with any depth has gone missing. And as you say doesn't even try to do it mostly.

I live in hope that he might lift for his last few games. Until Adams and/or Gardiner come back he'll stay in , then we find out how sentimental Fagan is.

That's been the issue in games where we've been under pressure . We try to slow it down from the backline but invariably turn it over when we're not precise with our kicking and./or when we're struggling at contested ball.

I thought Birchall was good last year, particularly in important games ,and reasonably good for quite a few games until the last 5 or 6 games where his precision kicking with any depth has gone missing. And as you say doesn't even try to do it mostly.

I live in hope that he might lift for his last few games. Until Adams and/or Gardiner come back he'll stay in , then we find out how sentimental Fagan is.

Adam’s will come back and likely for Payne. Can’t see Gardiner back this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Ah Chee had 5 tackles, two goals and the third most pressure acts of any forward (only three behind Linc). He played his role and will hold his spot. I'm really not sure why people still want to drop him at every chance.

Ah Chee had 5 tackles, two goals and the third most pressure acts of any forward (only three behind Linc). He played his role and will hold his spot. I'm really not sure why people still want to drop him at every chance.
He's been getting up from the bottom of packs ever since he came to us.

I'd always thought he could reach a better level and is yet to become more than a role player but agree a lot of his work goes unnoticed and he's worth his spot in the team. Particularly for his versatility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back