Preview Round 20 - Lions vs the Hawks, 2:10pm, Sunday Aug 1 @ UTAS Stadium, Launceston (at the moment)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preview - Round 19, Hawks v Lions

unknown.png

When: Saturday 24th July 2021

Where: TBC

Last time they met:
Round 1 2020, Seems an absolute eternity ago when Gil announced during the half time break of this game, that the season would be put on hold for at least a month due to the World wide Pandemic. That month turned into ten weeks which allowed a knee injury to Stefan Martin suffered during the game to heal in time for round 2. Who would have thought he would’t miss 1 round of footy after a PCL injury?
The result:
Unexpectedly the game was won by the Hawks in a fairly dominant performance that would have rocked the Lions and supporters after making the top 4 the year before. But was ultimately a 'who cares' type scenario after the Pandemic took hold and got too close to home for comfort.

The footy become insignificant!

The lions won the first quarter of the game, but lost all 3 quarters thereafter to lose the game 14.6.90 to 9.8.62. the Lions never really looked like the team of 2019 and Kane Cornes prediction of missing finals looked ever so likely. A Preliminary final later and all forgotten.

To this weeks game:
I have to apologize to all because, I honestly think that I am the curse and not the Metricon surface and Stadium because every time I write a Preview for a game it is after a loss. Which makes it extremely hard to come up with positives when writing a preview, I would dearly love to write a preview after a good win one day.

After the off-season aquisition of Grant Birchall in the 2019 Trade period he is still yet to play his first game against his old club where he won 4 Premierships. After missing his first chance with an untimely injury (Hamstring awareness) before the game mentioned above.

It is looking likely that he will get his chance against his old club this week as I very much doubt he is dropped this week as Fages will know this all too well and will look after his oooold mate.

Speaking of old mates, I miss Hodgey. That was an experiment that was well executed and personally I think, a good reason why we rose so quickly. The Birchall experiment? Well that is another story.

I have no doubt he will rise to the occasion this week though and put in a solid performance.

Last 5:

unknown.jpg

The Hawks have been in patchy form all year really, currently with 4 wins and a draw and sitting in 17th on the ladder. With a pretty young team who have looked promising at times and poor at others but coming off a big draw against top of the table Melbourne 79 points a piece.

If they are to bring that sort of form and heat to this game they will be hard to beat.

Especially the way the Lions have been playing the last 2 weeks.

Coming off 2 bad losses against teams pushing for the 8.

The boys appear to be very tired after all the travel in the last month and it seems forever since they have played at the Gabba with this game likely to be played in either Tassie or again at Metricon. Yuk!

Not sure I will make the effort to drive down this week if it is there?🤔

I think we have them beat for talent in both the front and back 3rds of the ground so the midfield is where it will be won.

Mitchell is back to his Brownlow year with disposals and along with O’Meara and Sheils, Phillips and Worpel they will rack up possessions and keep our midfield honest, but if our mids can get on top then we should win easily enough.

Harris has a habit of letting the lesser likes kick a bag on him by giving them no respect and playing 10m off them, so…… yeah, there’s that but I can’t see them kicking enough goals to beat a rampant Lions team running out 40 point winners.

Changes:
T. Bez for a tired looking Coleman and

AhChee to come in for Prior.

P.S to finish with a positive spin, I always loved this video of the Lions first win against Hawthorn under the Fagan and Hodge era.

Not sure how to attach the actual video, so click on the link and press play.

Enjoy!

And Go Lions 🦁

Video 05:45 Mins Viewed Flashback Friday: Round 9 v Hawks It was only 12 months ago, but still it holds a place in the Brisbane Lions' 33-yea… 16 May 19

Last edited by a moderator:
If you believe the media it is looking more likely than not that the fixture will change and we play GC. Along with 2 other games.

Another less likely idea that has been floated is having a bye this week instead of between season and finals and Hope Melbourne is back to normal for next weekend.

Well congrats to Dalions for being the first to write a preview for the wrong team if true! ;)
That’s why I put the ‘maybe’ in the thread title.
And I’m not writing it again.

Last edited:
If you believe the media it is looking more likely than not that the fixture will change and we play GC. Along with 2 other games.

Another less likely idea that has been floated is having a bye this week instead of between season and finals and Hope Melbourne is back to normal for next weekend.

No chance of melbourne being back to normal unfortunately, they'll extend lockdown for another 2 weeks

Staffing the games is becoming a real issue I am hearing, as the entire NRL comp is up here as well doing double headers at Suncorp etc., there are only so many ushers going around, the same ones work NRL/AFL etc.

Looking more likely.

Who has the GC preview? Might be up?

Looks like we're playing the suns at the Gabba this w'end! Much better! Get some atmosphere happening should rev the boys up a bit. I was preparing myself to travel down the freeway for the third week in a row but this is a nice reprieve 😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Port Adelaide long odds on to beat the Pies on Friday night this is a must win game for us v the Suns(Dalions ;)) if we are to keep our top 4 hopes alive.

Suns in really good form so it should be one of the better Pineapple Grapples.

The fixture swap couldn't have a come at a better time, we really needed to get back home to rest, train and hopefully get our confidence back performing at the Gabba in front of a home crowd. Desperately hoping this is where we end our slump of losses it already feels longer than it has since a win and I'm starting to miss it already.

The fixture swap couldn't have a come at a better time, we really needed to get back home to rest, train and hopefully get our confidence back performing at the Gabba in front of a home crowd. Desperately hoping this is where we end our slump of losses it already feels longer than it has since a win and I'm starting to miss it already.

Absolutely, this week should be about solid conditioning and focused preparation to get our mojo back, remember we demolished Geelong only 3 weeks ago so there are no Gremlins in our team!

Lions paying $1.17 with the bookmakers
Everyone here feel that confident?

We'll lose Ellis, think Weller in for him.

A good thing we're not playing the Hawks. 120km/h wind gusts for the weekend down south.

Kick for goal 45 metres out into the cyclone out and see it sail back over your head for a behind down the other end.

Opposition appeals for deliberately rushed and you get nervous when the umpie actually starts thinking about it:drunk:

On the other hand , how good would it be to see D Rich launch a cannon with the gale from a kick in and see it sail through above post high for a goal done the other end:think:

Last edited:
Yeah pretty confident at the Gabba.
Should be clear favourites but think those odds are a bit out of whack.

Sounds obvious but no Hipwood is really good for us as our tall defenders struggle to contain that 3rd guy.
Might play Ballard on Daniher and Collins on Mcstay .

If I was the Lions I'd seriously consider playing Fullarton in the ruck against Burgess and stick big fella OMac at full forward. Think he could kick 2-3 goals easily. I'd be much more worried with that setup than going OMac in the middle and Fullarton up forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back