Preview Round 20 - Lions vs the Hawks, 2:10pm, Sunday Aug 1 @ UTAS Stadium, Launceston (at the moment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mike Whiting really pushing the Nakia hype this week- https://www.afl.com.au/news/654830/it-s-time-for-lions-to-unleash-their-finals-wildcard

THE TIME has come for Brisbane to unleash Nakia Cockatoo.

The former Geelong powerhouse was the Lions' unused medical sub in Saturday's win over Gold Coast and should be named in the 22 to play Hawthorn on Sunday.

It would be the first time he's featured in an AFL game since April 8, 2018, when he played for the Cats against West Coast at Optus Stadium.

It's been a long, and at times difficult, first season for the 24-year-old at his new club, but he's now ready to play at the top level.

Cockatoo has played eight VFL matches this season, the most recent coming on Sunday when he kicked two goals from 13 disposals against Greater Western Sydney.

Little by little he's gained confidence in his body and built it back to an AFL standard.

With four matches remaining until the finals, it's a perfect runway for Brisbane to insert a player that could be a September wildcard.

Cockatoo has similar physical attributes to Cam Rayner – a man the Lions lost during pre-season to a ruptured ACL – and would provide another target opposition teams would have to respect.

Sunday was another sign Cockatoo was ready for the next step, running out the game strongly and putting an exclamation point on his day with a thumping goal from outside 50m that sailed well over the goal umpire's head.

Brisbane signed him last off-season following five injury-riddled years at Geelong with hopes of reviving his career in a similar vein to that of Lincoln McCarthy.

It's taken time, though.

Cockatoo has been dogged by persistent hamstring niggles that both he and the club have been incredibly patient with.

Two games in, one game rest, two games in, one game rest, and the cycle went on.

He has noticeably trimmed down in recent weeks, and even more encouragingly for Brisbane, Cockatoo has hit top speed during his recent matches, splitting packs and winning one-on-two contests with brute force.

Finding a spot for him is difficult in a team that obliterated the Suns with a 13 goals to one second half at the weekend.

Someone would be unlucky, whether it's young defender James Madden, wingman Jarrod Berry who has been in-and-out with injury, versatile Cal Ah Chee who seems to switch ends every other week, or even veteran Grant Birchall whose form has been up and down.

Cockatoo is a match-winner and now his body is ready to play ball.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Think I read team going straight to WA afterwards? Is this true.. they prob take a extended squad
They fly to Tasi on Saturday for Sundays game against Hawks. Almost straight after the game they then board a plane bound for Perth where they isolate for 1 week and then play Freo on the following Sunday. Again, almost straight after the game they fly back to Brissy arriving early 9th August - Monday morning.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They fly to Tas on Saturday for Sundays game against Hawks. Almost straight after the game they then board a plane bound for Perth where they isolate for 1 week and then play Freo on the following Sunday. Again, almost straight after the game they fly back to Brissy arriving early 9th August - Monday morning.
Thanks for that information
Good to hear some leeway given to the 2 weeks isolation requirement for Qld travelers entering WA

So basically a 2 day stay in Tas which WA consider "very low risk" so no real restrictions into entering WA.
I doubt a normal traveler would be able to do this move. However normal travelers don't get tested regularly
Then 1 week isolation and return home after the game. So no real contact with WA residents other than isolation site

Being AFL players and smart Lions players i can't see our guys doing anything stupid during isolation period
Can't say the same if it was an NRL team though. Their recent record is mind blowing

Can't say the same if it was an NRL team though. Their recent record is mind blowing

Not defending the NRL at all but the AFL had players attending strip clubs and brawling outside kebab shops during their bubble period last year. They were hardly exemplary examples of discipline.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A bit more press about Cockatoo on AFL site

BRISBANE captain Dayne Zorko cannot wait for Nakia Cockatoo to be unleashed for the Lions heading into the AFL finals.
The former Geelong powerhouse is pushing for selection for Sunday's clash with Hawthorn after a first season at the Lions blighted by injury.

Cockatoo hasn't played AFL football since April, 2018 but has proven his fitness with a string of matches in the VFL in recent weeks and is pushing to make his first appearance for the Lions.

It's an addition that has Zorko buzzing with just four matches remaining in the home and away campaign.
"He's really knuckled down the last eight weeks and he's probably in the best shape that I've seen at the club," Zorko said.
"I was unfortunate enough to play against him in Geelong where he put in a couple of great performances against us.
"We know what his best football can bring.
"If he can get close to that, whether it's this week he comes in or next week, who knows?
"Certainly he's chomping at the bit and when he comes in I know he'll make an impact."

This sounds like the sort of hype news that comes out before a debut

Please don't debut him in wet, cold Tasmania. Please don't debut him in wet, cold Tasmania. Please don't debut him in wet, cold Tasmania. Please don't debut him in wet, cold Tasmania.

Please don't debut him in wet, cold Tasmania. Please don't debut him in wet, cold Tasmania. Please don't debut him in wet, cold Tasmania. Please don't debut him in wet, cold Tasmania.

Thankfully the forecast for Launceston has cleared up a little bit. Very little rain if any at all forecast for Sunday. Should be mostly sunny.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Meh, just lather him in deep heat / liniment Tom Hawkins style.

He'll stay warm & no one will be able to lay a tackle on him.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wonder what the end result will be tomorrow night
HAWKS

B: Grainger-Barras, Hartigan, Frost

HB: Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Bramble

C: Howe, O’Meara, Shiels

HF: Phillips, Wingard, Breust

F: Moore, Lewis, McEvoy

FOLL: Reeves, Mitchell, Worpel

I/C (from): Koschitzke, Newcombe, Brockman, O’Brien, Burgoyne, Nash, Greaves, Maginnes

IN: Newcombe, Nash, Greaves, Maginness

OUT: Cousins (Injured)

LIONS

B: Madden, Andrews, Starcevich

HB: Birchall, Lester, Rich

C: McCluggage, Bailey, J.Berry

HF: McCarthy, McStay, Zorko

F: Ah Chee, Daniher, Cameron

FOLL: McInerney, Lyons, Neale

I/C (extended): Robertson, Robinson, Cockatoo, Coleman, Prior, Fullarton, Ballenden, Payne

IN: Coleman, Prior, Ballenden

OUT: None

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For those that like this format
Large photo of Cockatoo on e-mail link to below squad

EDIT: noticed the above Foxfooty extended interchange is in a different order than the one from the Lions email squad
1627548820849.png

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Wonder what the end result will be tomorrow night
HAWKS

B: Grainger-Barras, Hartigan, Frost

HB: Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Bramble

C: Howe, O’Meara, Shiels

HF: Phillips, Wingard, Breust

F: Moore, Lewis, McEvoy

FOLL: Reeves, Mitchell, Worpel

I/C (from): Koschitzke, Newcombe, Brockman, O’Brien, Burgoyne, Nash, Greaves, Maginnes

IN: Newcombe, Nash, Greaves, Maginness

OUT: Cousins (Injured)

LIONS

B: Madden, Andrews, Starcevich

HB: Birchall, Lester, Rich

C: McCluggage, Bailey, J.Berry

HF: McCarthy, McStay, Zorko

F: Ah Chee, Daniher, Cameron

FOLL: McInerney, Lyons, Neale

I/C (extended): Robertson, Robinson, Cockatoo, Coleman, Prior, Fullarton, Ballenden, Payne

IN: Coleman, Prior, Ballenden

OUT: None
Hawks going full tank mode.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
For those that like this format
Large photo of Cockatoo on e-mail link to below squad

View attachment 1190539
The omitted have always come from the extended bench, IMO Robinson and Robertson are locks + I can't see Ballenden or Prior making the final cut so that leaves 2 spots between Fullarton, Payne, Cockatoo and Coleman. Fullarton needed as the back up ruck and Payne as another tall defender to help out Harris with Lewis, McEvoy and the resting ruckman.

:think:Can't see an obvious omit for Cockatoo from my final bench of Robertson, Robinson, Fullarton and Payne.

Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
If he played for the Cats he would be used to the cold .

Kalin posted this…. Can we read anything into it?View attachment 1190565
The amount of media this week, he has got to be playing surely.
I agree with Jason mp though you would have to think Payne and Fullarton will be in so it would leave the 2 Robbos as likely outs.
Unless we go with a slightly smaller forward line and Daniher as the back up ruck again and Fullarton is the out for Cocky to come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back